Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Jove Empire is isolated from the rest of the world to all but a selected few? read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IC & OOC  (Read 4436 times)

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
IC & OOC
« on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:06 »

Do you think knowing someone OOC has any bearing on your RP?

I personally think some of my best RPs have happened when I don't know the player behind the character at all.

I think it is easier to just RP when you don't know, when you can just immerse yourself into that scene without worry or regard to the typist.

When I play Shalee, I imagine the scene in my mind like a movie.  Sometimes I find it a little difficult to rp her true to her nature when knowing that whatever she may do might irritate or piss off the player....because I know OOC they have had a bad day or their dog died or yada yada.

It isn't that way all the time.  Some people have a definate divide between character and themselves.  A perfect example would be Mitara.  Mitara and Shalee have had a few shouting matches (okay so it's Shalee doing the yelling, but still) and I know that it is completely IC and it never affects any OOC friendship we have.

But with some others, I feel like I have to take into regard their OOC moods, or what-have-you.

So, the question is:

Is rp better or worse for you if you have an ooc connection/friendship with the player?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: IC & OOC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:22 »

Generally, better, because I can have a comfort level that the other player won't do something that will make me want to :bash: ...

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:23 »

I think there are advantages and disadvantages.

If you know the person, you might be able to better compensate for some of the shortcomings of text as a medium of communication. You might better know what they mean. Any bits that require an OOC check of any kind are likely to go more smoothly, and hopefully be less needed.

On the other hand, coming to it without knowing the person does allow you to interact only as characters, which can be good. Most people I RP with, one of my characters 'met' IC first, before I started to get to know them OOC.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:25 »

Generally, better, because I can have a comfort level that the other player won't do something that will make me want to :bash: ...

This also. It is nice to know that you can trust a player to RP in a way that will work with your RP, and that isn't something that can usually be ascertained immediately IC.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:34 »

I've found it's no problem separating Miz from myself when it comes to dealing with others. IC/OOC separation fully in effect, and not really a problem. There is bleedthrough however the other way around. When I feel people do too bullshit stuff to Mizhara, I get a little OoC miffed. Especially if there's OoC motivations behind it.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:39 »

I saw the title and said 'uh-oh' :p  Will read and then reply

e: I think it definitely helps having a positive OOC rapport with folks.  Coming from a tabletop background, where a group of friends get together and play a game, all those friends are still friends and can share laughs over their IC antagonism of each others characters.  It's more comfortable for me to have hostile RP with someone when I know they're not going to be drawing crazy OOC conclusions from it.  Of course, it doesn't stop me from engaging in hostile RP with people I'm not already on good OOC terms with at all, it just makes it a little less comfortable when doing so.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 15:03 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:52 »

I have no real IC difference in interaction.

Edit for Clarity: Knowing someone OOC doesn't change how I interact with them IC versus if I didn't know them OOC.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:03 »

I saw the title and said 'uh-oh' :p  Will read and then reply

e: I think it definitely helps having a positive OOC rapport with folks.  Coming from a tabletop background, where a group of friends get together and play a game, all those friends are still friends and can share laughs over their IC antagonism of each others characters.  It's more comfortable for me to have hostile RP with someone when I know they're not going to be drawing crazy OOC conclusions from it.  Of course, it doesn't stop me from engaging in hostile RP with people I'm not already on good OOC terms with at all, it just makes it a little less comfortable when doing so.

This also. While ideally everyone keeps IC and OOC well seperated, it isn't always the case, and having a cordial OOc relationship helps misunderstandings be less likely.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:12 »

When I feel people do too bullshit stuff to Mizhara, I get a little OoC miffed. Especially if there's OoC motivations behind it.

I think it's a natural tendency to get a little OOC miffed if one suspects there's OOC motivations for supposedly 'IC' hostile actions, whether it's  'I'm wardeccing your corp because you voted for Bush' (note: I did not vote for Bush) or something more minor.  Sometimes the declaration 'It's nothing personal, it's just how my character would react' is quite true; sometimes it rings a little hollow.

I do my best to maintain harmonious OOC relations with the players of characters Cia has IC conflict with to avoid precisely that problem, and simply avoid IC contact with people I prefer not to deal with OOC.

Or, er, exactly what Hav said.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:14 »

Yeah, I'm with you Shalee. I've RP'd with people I never spoke to OOC or got to know OOC for a month, right when I started. Was some of the best RP I've done. It's really immersive :o

But yeah, has its pros and cons...however, so far, not knowing the person OOC has provided better RP for me personally. It also makes you see the other person as just the character, and not a player who would most likely be very different.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:27 »

I have a friend OOC who heard me talking about Eve and became a player. Although his character would have had very little reason to interact with Saxon, I took him into my corp because I knew him OOC and he asked me to OOC. BIG MISTAKE.

His RP proved to be wholly incompatible with what we were trying to do with the ILF and when I called him on it, he staged a mutiny and took most of our best combat pilots with him.

IC, Saxon has always taken the stance that if someone leaves it is the path they are meant to follow. He doesn't hold too many grudges and focuses doggedly on moving the corp toward its goal of a safe and prosperous Intaki.

However, it was hard not to be mad at him OOC, especially when I learned that months after he left he was continuously trying to poach my corp members, all the while denying it when we met OOC.

If he had said to me, "That's the way my character is and he's going to be underhanded" then maybe I could have looked at differently, but he would say "Hey, we're friends, I would never do that to you." and then someone would send me a chat log where he was saying "Saxon is a fool, NRDS doesn't work, come fly with us, blah blah blah."

The OOC douchebaggery was really too much and now I have very little to do with the guy.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:43 »

Saxon, that seems to go quite beyond the question of just having incompatible RP and well into being a jerk.

Now, in general, that's how EVE works, but one would hope RL friendship before EVE even comes into the picture counts for something...

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2010, 21:09 »

The less I know the better...that's all I'm gonna say on that.  :ugh:

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2010, 02:52 »

When you know someone IRL you're more likely to know whether or not they'll take offense at a certain course of action.   And that helps a lot.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:13 »

The less I know the better...that's all I'm gonna say on that.  :ugh:

Hahahaha. Yeah, that is definitely the case sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2