Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: CCP Cancels World of Darkness  (Read 7190 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: CCP Cancels World of Darkness
« Reply #45 on: 30 Apr 2014, 11:10 »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #46 on: 30 Apr 2014, 11:13 »

Based on 'press E to seduce' and assorted MMO staple nonsense they have made an excellent decision to terminate the project.

« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 12:43 by Silas Vitalia »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #47 on: 30 Apr 2014, 12:38 »

Maybe yes.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #48 on: 02 May 2014, 13:46 »

* Louella Dougans presses E

I have been playing Bloodlines recently again, it is still enjoyable. Seems there is an updated community-made patch now, making it even better.

I wonder though, about how there seems to have been a lack of vision of what there is to do in WoD, just like how there was no vision about what there was to do for Incarna. "There could be new careers in Incarna, like bartender, or hair stylist"... yes, well, there could be, but if that was all that the devs could envisage people doing in Incarna, then that is pretty depressing.

Lack of imagination and vision by the developers, is a worrying thing.
\o/

Publius Valerius

• Egger
« Reply #49 on: 02 May 2014, 16:33 »

I have just tap in to the IP. I have zero experience in any of the WoD games. But lore looked nice. I have even learned that you can get killed, if the prince of the city gives you free for hunting (blood hunt). That would so much fun. I love some danger, dead threats and good old Machiavellian power politics.  :D But also as mention before I understand why CCP had pull the plug.

Maybe If they get some good writes (I know that is not CCP philosophy. But If you are cornered its open game, and you are free to break your own rules.), they can pull of some single action player RPG before all the assets are totally useless/outdated.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #50 on: 03 May 2014, 02:04 »

Any "standard" vampire in the setting (meaning 13rd generation mostly) can die pretty easily in the setting Publius, not only by other vampires or by the prince itself.

Lack of imagination and vision by the developers, is a worrying thing.

We have a project exactly like that in the company. It has been going for years now, with development put behind, and with the creative department unable to say much more than "we want it to be a fantasy 4X game". I don't think it always is a lack of imagination and vision in general, but a lack of it for a game in particular, definitely. Sometimes you just know that you are trying to hard on something that has been created for the sake of it.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2014, 12:44 »

I thought I'd posted in this thread, but it appears I'd just thought about posting in it.  :s

While I can't claim that I was desperate to see WoD released, I am nonetheless very disappointed that it won't become a reality now. Other than really enjoying VtM:Bloodlines, I had no strong WoD associations, but I thought that this was an important game in the MMO space. The entire genre suffers with its demise.

WoW has won. Essentially every MMO is WoW. To the extent that if you ask someone to describe an MMO, they would most likely describe the key features of WoW. Certainly the big publishers and the investors are only interested in backing a game that might look superficially different, but basically is WoW. You make a character and inhabit a server identical to many other servers and run backwards and forwards over a small area of the gameworld completing largely nonsensical quests for NPCs until you level up enough to move to another area to run backwards and forwards completing the same quests as everyone else. Death will only ever be an inconvenience at most. No one will ever loot your corpse. PvP will only ever be in some special area set aside for the purpose and will always be meaningless. If I sound slightly scathing, it's because I loathe this species of game. Rats in a fucking maze.

Historically, the early MMOs weren't like this. They don't have to be like this now. Eve was influenced by the mechanics of Ultima Online, but neither of these games have influenced subsequent MMOs. The runaway success of WoW has seemingly closed down any interest in this approach to a game. The budgets are so large, that no one wants to take the risk on a moderate success or a niche MMO: they all want the next WoW. They all fail. People will take a look at your expensive game for a few months, but they generally seem to conclude that they preferred WoW and go back to it, or perhaps that they have seen it all before. Then your big shiny game goes free to play and relies on tawdry microtransactions to pay the bills.

WoD was maybe, just maybe going to be the exception. It should have been the next sandbox where player agency was king. A place where your character could die permanently.  And someone takes your stuff. Permadeath for fuck's sake! That's properly bold in the 21st Century, where all of us gamers are mollycoddled children with too many toys. Like Eve, what the players did would matter, would have consequences. People would tell stories about it afterwards.

The weird thing is that the success of DayZ illustrates that there is a strong desire to play sandbox PvP games. The continuing relative success of Eve shows that you can build quite respectable company developing a niche sandbox MMO, even if CCP's hubris has seen them overreach. I don't understand why people aren't jumping on the bandwagon. The Elder Scrolls Online, while perhaps not a candidate for the sort of hardcore permadeath-dealing sort of game I'm after, is still a massive missed opportunity in that it is the perfect fit for an open world sandbox. It's utterly incredible that you can make Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim then think that another boring WoW clone is going do justice to your IP.

So yeah, I still have a slight MMO itch. I know I can't go back to Eve - you can never go back, only forwards - but I still long for the same sort of experience and I've been waiting years for something interesting to come along that cites Eve or UO as an influence overtly or otherwise. WoD looked like it could have been that something that might just scratch that itch. Looks like I'm going to be waiting a lot longer now.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
« Reply #53 on: 04 Dec 2014, 06:24 »

Louella Dougans

• \o/