Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Opinions on new balance changes and ships?  (Read 5922 times)

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
Re: Opinions on new balance changes and ships?
« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2011, 06:01 »

My main gripe about supercaps is the ease of deployment and the difficulty in scouting for them. There was the idea of a "cyno spoolup time" at some point, so you'd have to pop up a cyno and keep the cyno ship alive for a specific time (minutes) for it to be a valid beacon. I really liked that idea.

Carriers are not balanced among themselves at all, by the way. Will be interesting to see if the Nidhoggur boost helps, but I don't think it'll bring it up to par with the Archon. And the Chimera and Thanatos are miles off still.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:09 »

Going to be testing this theory live the second they hit TQ I think.

Okay, well... in all fairness, we can test them out on TQ, but, definitely not for like a week. Two things will happen when they go live, based on my limited experience with patches:

1. They'll be worth 800mil ISK for a while.
2. They'll have the new nebulae as their skin until CCP fixes it.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2011, 21:23 »

Dreads & Siege - for the most part, I approve. I do wish they had left the drones on the Moros, however - that was what distinguished it from simply being a short-ranged Revelation.

This jsut has to be bullshit. No offence, but I will not believe this will go through until I read the changed stats in-game. If they do this... well, it will be 10 times less usable than it allready is, being obsolete and all.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 26 Nov 2011, 21:49 »

Dreads & Siege - for the most part, I approve. I do wish they had left the drones on the Moros, however - that was what distinguished it from simply being a short-ranged Revelation.

This jsut has to be bullshit. No offence, but I will not believe this will go through until I read the changed stats in-game. If they do this... well, it will be 10 times less usable than it allready is, being obsolete and all.

It's droneless on SiSi, and replacing the drones isn't one the things being cried for the loudest on the forums, so...

Mind you, I hear capital-sized rails aren't as terribad as other-sized rails. Maybe due to the fact that most things you shoot with dread guns don't usually  have much transversal, and trans is rails' weakest attribute? v0v
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:51 »

The Moros has a 25% RoF bonus instead of the drone bonus now. It does more dps than any other dread by a good margin, and it's one of the two dreads that are actually really good at long-range engagements (though not sure how much sniper dreads are used these days; might become more used again now with supercarriers less drastic, who knows).

Seriously, all drones on dreads ever did was a) make the Moros a station hugging pwn mobile until they nerfed the bonus the first time, and b) caused all sorts of rage because the frigging sentry drones managed to move while the ship stood still, meaning you lost them at every siege anyhow if no fleet member collected them for you.

Excellent change.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2011, 06:12 »

Mind you, I hear capital-sized rails aren't as terribad as other-sized rails. Maybe due to the fact that most things you shoot with dread guns don't usually  have much transversal, and trans is rails' weakest attribute? v0v

For subcapital classes, why rails are terribad is mostly because of they absence of meaningful strenght like for artillery (alpha) or beams (dps/tracking). The only little added value on rails is their small range bonus, meaning that they usually fire at a little more range than their counterparts (but thats not so meaningful). Besides this : rail tracking roughly equates arty tracking, and rail dps always equates arty dps (while beams have an overall 30% more dps and tracking than both).

For capitals, I havent checked but in terms of DPS everything always tends to be quite homogeneous, with the approximate same dps. Tracking though, might vary a little between weapons considering that their optimals (balanced by falloffs) are not the same.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2011, 06:33 »

The biggest problem for sub-capital rails so far has been that engagement ranges have been cut to 150km with probing being so easy these days. Well, that, and the Apocalypse having a silly bonus that combines beam dps and tracking with rail ranges.

The changes to rails sound like they're addressing exactly what's needed, turning arty into the shortest-range, worst-tracking and worst-dps long-range weapon, which is where it should be with the alpha it has.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:59 »

What are the exact rails changes again ? I dont remember something really huge, like 5% damage and tracking more ?

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2011, 13:44 »

What are the exact rails changes again ? I dont remember something really huge, like 5% damage and tracking more ?

Less cpu, -12% pg, -30% cap use, +10% damage, 5s reload time.

Comparing a thrown-together Megathron fit with a Tempest fit, this gives the rail fit 5% more dps than artillery at 15% better tracking and better range coverage. Throwing numbers around is a bit iffy, as there is no "sniper fleet" more as in old times - you need a coherent fleet doctrine, not just "BS with long-range guns". I can see a setup similar to Hellcats for Railthrons, but I haven't really run the numbers on those.

Gallente ships face(d) two main problems. One is related to range changes: Over time, a lot of changes made "short-range engagements" work at longer and longer ranges (nerfing of WCS, T2 warp disruptors, overheat), so the blaster range got out of scale more and more. On the long-range engagements, the probing changes mean that "long-range" is now "well below 150km", which is hurting the range advantage of rails a lot. (Not that it mattered much at that point, the Apocalypse was then the best sniper by far because it had best dps, best tracking at max range...)

The other main problem for Gallente ships is still the armor tanking setup which is simply done so much better by the Amarr ships thanks to Amarr high dps at extremely long range with the "short-range" weapons. Scorch (and other long-range T2 ammo) fixes will hopefully address that.
Pages: 1 [2]