Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That travelling to planets takes quite a long time?  For more, read here.

Author Topic: Intaki Shades of Gray  (Read 1239 times)

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
Intaki Shades of Gray
« on: 15 Nov 2011, 17:55 »

It is often said that the Intaki are best described as artists and diplomats and that they only want to live their own lives peacefully in their own home system. The following quotes are presented as an indication that actually there might be some shades of gray behind this idyllic characterisation.

Some mission agents warn about the Intakis:
Quote from: Mourmarie Mone, Intaki Chase mission
You know what the Intaki are like – one big mess of criminals. I don‟t believe the lies they tell us in the media: All Intaki are a part of the Syndicate, directly or not. If it were up to me, I‟d lock all the Intaki up for good, or maybe just send them all back to their cesspool of a home planet.

Placid was not left as a criminal haven by accident or neglect:
Quote from: Vremaja Idama
The original Intaki representatives asked for minimal protection at the founding of the Federation. We have always valued our independance and self-reliance.

Placid is plagued by drug cartels:
Quote from: Vorada Kuvakei
My fellow Intaki, we are a people who are forsaken by many and suffer the worst of all people. Our worlds are plagued by massive drug cartels and our people are drowning in their poison. We have been left by our allies to fend for ourselves, and that is what we must do.

Placid drug peddlers can flee to Syndicate:
Quote from: Scope news
A spokesman for the station said: "We were not expecting this, we simply thought he had left without anyone knowing. Given that he was receiving numerous messages from various locations in Syndicate and his involvement in the drug trafficking group 'Euphoric Gaze', we have no doubt that his death is connected to the criminal elements of the area."

Attempts to contact other members of the victim's organisation have also been unsuccessful; however, a review of the last transmissions Qolemar sent shows that he was planning to flee to Syndicate, from Idatheth Khora.
Who or what Idatheth Khora is remains a mystery at this time.

Syndicate polices Placid
Quote from: EVE News
Vorada Kuvakei, former Mordu Legion officer and now head of the Intaki organisation, Illoren, was asked about these incidents but only commented that the death of Qolemar was 'needlessly brutal' and that 'the decline of the drug Rise, is but the first step in Placid's recovery, and the growth and empowerment of the Intaki people'.

Due to the lack of Federation and CONCORD presence in this investigation, the Intaki Space Police have been in full control of the situation. The Syndicate itself has not given any sort of official statement on these events; however a source, who wishes to remain anonymous, claimed that when news broke of the murder, several members of the Syndicate retired to their quarters claiming illness.

Connection between Foiritan and Syndicate:
Quote from: Scope profile, Mentas Blaque
Blaque hates the The Syndicate with a passion. Whether this is because of his feud with Former President Souro Foiritan, who is an Intaki, is unknown. Blaque maintained that Foiritan was secretly dealing with the Syndicate, fattening his own pockets with smuggler's money in exchange for allowing the Syndicate to operate unhindered close to Federation space. While these accusations were never substantiated, it was clear that with Blaque in power the Syndicate would have felt the wrath of the Federation.

Foiritan's presence in the Blind Auction negotiations:
Quote from: The Slow Disease
The first report profiled former Gallente president, Souro Foiritan. Foiritan was the perfect model of a Gallente politician, averse to direct , especially military, action but skilled enough with words to thwart the efforts of his enemies. His recent resignation had taken the intelligence community by surprise. Only its timing suggested any sort of connection, especially with the purchase of his homeworld, Intaki, by the Ishukone.

Foiritan doesn't reveal where he gets his funding:
Quote from: Blind Auction, Foiritan, Reppola, Mordu's legion
"You want to pay us to buy Intaki."
"To a political layman, that's probably how it looks, yes."
"Where I come from it's called pragmatism!"
"Gentlemen, I think we're all outside our comfort zones here. Let's try and keep our eyes on the target."
"Yes. You're right. But that is the pitch, if I'm not hugely misunderstanding. The Federation gives us a pile of money, which we can then use to make sure we get Intaki."
"It's of no consequence exactly where the money comes from; I can ensure that the necessary sum is made available to your people, which is all that should matter. And on the understanding, of course, that it's used exclusively for this purpose."

Foiritan has old acquaintances in the Assembly:
Quote from: Blind Auction, Foiritan to Mordu's legion diplomat
I think that maybe you don't know your people as well as you think. I've been talking to them (Intaki Assembly), through old acquaintances, and they've mentioned the S&S franchise to me more than once. I think they'd be interested in discussing it, and under the circumstances I don't think the shipping rights will be a sticking point. It's security that will bother them, I think.

Connection of Silphy and the Intaki homeworld:
Quote from: Ante
Silphy was standing with her back to the door when Santimona entered the meeting room, an oddly shaped octagonal chamber with smooth metal walls that curved inward near the ceiling to create a geometric pattern of etched reliefs. Directly opposite the door was a wide, double-paned window looking out on Intaki V’s capital city, Lenoika, its flat-roofed buildings boiling in the red afternoon sun. She didn’t move at all in response to the Reverend Mother’s arrival.

"I was told there would be rain today or tomorrow," she said to the window.

The Syndicate has a charismatic rule:
Quote from: Silphy
Each syndicate station has its own governor who has complete authority over their station and its surroundings. These governors are those that were instrumental in constructing the station all those years ago, or their descendants. The unofficial leader of the syndicate in years past was the governor of Poitot station, Dorn en Diabel. A charismatic and passionate leader he installed order in the chaos that reigned after the exile and set the foundation of the syndicate. Like so many prominent Intakis en Diabel was an albino, which lent his authority the strength needed to push his will through.

All the spiritual leaders have kept their position from time immemorial ("On the Idama" section). There's not much difference between the Reborn and the Idamas. Based on Sundari and Vrejama Idama, they seem to enjoy charismatic following.

Babies rights vs. the rights of the Reborn?
Quote from: Intaki Canonical Resources
Although persons in risky positions (such as space ship captains) use clones, the general Intaki public refrains from using them. Instead they have a unique method for transferring the personality of a dying person into a newborn baby. Steeped in tradition and perfected with technology the Reborn process is the ideal Intaki vision of 'afterlife'.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: Intaki Shades of Gray
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:48 »

It is often said that the Intaki are best described as artists and diplomats and that they only want to live their own lives peacefully in their own home system. The following quotes are presented as an indication that actually there might be some shades of gray behind this idyllic characterisation.

I don't really think that has been all that obfuscated at any point, really. That said, a very nice collection of links to make the point, though!

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:00 »

Yeah, Intaki has a big financial sector, a big service industry, is wealthy without actually producing much, has cultural ties to the Syndicate, likes to keep the Federation authorities at arms length and insists on a low security status that makes it easier for various criminals to move around.   There are definitely dots to be connected there :D

And hey, I haven't read the Ante chron before!  Nice collection of sources.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 07:11 »

:lol: , Why you think most pro-fed RPers always chose the cause to "civilize" Placid?

Its like the ugly corner of the Federation, but extremely wealthy, the government, corporate profiles and burecrats want that wealth of course.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2011, 17:16 »

You've certainly hit on all the reasons why I find Intaki RP so rich and rewarding.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:51 »

One thing I've always liked about the Intaki is that there is a lot going on there. The relationship with the Fed, the connections out to Syndicate, even a few ties to the State.