Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Author Topic: "Likes" on the IGS  (Read 2708 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
"Likes" on the IGS
« on: 08 Nov 2011, 11:21 »

Quick question for the community.

How are people viewing "liking" someone on the IGS?  I, personally, kinda loath the idea of "likes", but whatever, theyre here.

That said, are people viewing it as OOC or IC?  I just assumed it was OOC, and didnt mind say liking a post by an Amarrian that I thought was particularly well written, insightful, in character, or funny. 

What I'm afraid of is "ha ha Captain Gottii, I see you "liked" my post regarding the ways I discipline my slaves, your view of slavery is not what it would appear!" 

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: "Likes" on the IGS
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2011, 11:52 »

i pressed like on posts that I thought made for things that people could rp with and stuff. If someone posts something that lots of different people can discuss and rp from, then that would get a like.

not sure if people have brought it up in IC conversations at all, but there's usually a way to wiggle I think?

like, in your example, you could say "Indeed I liked your post, because it provides a superb example of the kind of heinous behaviour of Amarrians that we are against. Good day to you." or something?
\o/

Desiderya

« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2011, 11:59 »

I use it rarely, but it's entirely OOC for me.

Imho, if I want to say that I 'like' some characters post ICly I'd just... I don't know... bring it up in conversation or an (IC) evemail?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2011, 12:15 »

I like posts "ic" with Jade that I feel are decent comments on a thread.

Obviously wouldn't like a comment that espoused a regressive political philosophy because that would be silly.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2011, 12:44 »

Regressive ? What do you mean ?

Anyway, I almost never use it. I loathe it so much that it gives me the hives. But sometimes.... Some post is so damn original and with very good ideas/concepts in it so I eventually give it a like. Or sometimes it is just someone with not many likes that I pity and give a like for a good post.

How sad.

Anyway in the end it is totally meaningless, just due to the fact that people forum warrioring outside of the IGS (meaning, in the rest of the official forums) get their likes OOCly.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2011, 13:00 »

Anyway, I almost never use it. I loathe it so much that it gives me the hives. But sometimes.... Some post is so damn original and with very good ideas/concepts in it so I eventually give it a like. Or sometimes it is just someone with not many likes that I pity and give a like for a good post.

How sad.

Anyway in the end it is totally meaningless, just due to the fact that people forum warrioring outside of the IGS (meaning, in the rest of the official forums) get their likes OOCly.

It gets worse than that, one of the goons has a script macro that gives likes to each post on a given page. (bots farming likes from their alts) whatever next.

But anyway ... regressive? counterrevolutionary? imperialistic? Fascist? that kind of thing.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2011, 13:04 »

a script macro that gives likes to each post on a given page.

on the IGS? o.0

that seems a bit silly.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2011, 13:10 »

How sad.

But anyway ... regressive? counterrevolutionary? imperialistic? Fascist? that kind of thing.

Oh, you were speaking IC. Sorry.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2011, 13:12 »

How sad.

Oh, you were speaking IC. Sorry.

I thought we were talking about whether our characters would give likes IC? Or did I misunderstand.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2011, 17:23 »

Yes, if it they do it IC or the player do it OOC instead (or both... whatever). I was not expecting you to tell it in an IC way here, thus my question. ^^

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2011, 20:35 »

Pure OOC to me. Not gonna get militant about it though.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2011, 22:54 »

I hope they get rid of this feature, but until then I am going to use it for in-character interaction. I had a rather extended debate with someone on these boards about this same issue in another thread...

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 Nov 2011, 05:35 »

Not that I have done it yet, but I consider it OOC too.

Oh, and I like the "like" feature. Not because I ever check out how many likes somebody else have recieved (always running the forum in compact view), but because it feels good to be confirmed when you do a good post. Perticularly from somebody you respect.

I would be much more annoyed if the Goons script was giving me likes for random posts.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2011, 07:43 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #13 on: 09 Nov 2011, 07:04 »

The Goon thing is rather quite obvious, and makes me smile each time. At least it is not a critical flaw like the old forum had. But it's quite cleverly played, which is why I <3 Goons and am happy EVE has them.

On topic then, I just like whatever I think deserves it. If someone from another faction posts something really good, why the hell not. Maybe if posts showed who exactly liked them, I'd use it more IC on the IGS, but as they don't I'm happy to stick a like on whatever amuses me.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2011, 20:01 »

Tying this thread to the previous discussion of the topic at New e-o forums "like" button - IC or OOC?

It seems to be something we immersionists care about. :)