Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Battleships at dawn!  (Read 13908 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: Battleships at dawn!
« Reply #60 on: 05 May 2010, 03:28 »

On the topic of dueling or jousting in EVE PF I will refer to a segment of a mission briefing from my Amarr COSMOS guide, agent Thumal Ebotiz, mission Clear Head – The Joust (3 of 5):
Now all that stands between Lord Arachnan and his sister in the hereditary ladder is Lord Arachnan's son. With him out of the way, the path is clear for Lady Arachnan. The son goes by the name Aradim Arachnan and is a real hothead. The boy fancies himself to be a knight of the olden days and his father indulges his fanciful dreams. Aradim and his friends like to duel in their shiny cruisers. Or joust, as they call it. They think so highly of themselves that they've declined protection from Lord Arachnan's household guards, against the better wishes of the lord's chief of security. So taking them out shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just don't fall into the same trap as they and get too confidant. Overconfidence is lame at best and lethal at worst, so be keep your head screwed on straight.
So the concept exist. If capsuleers should practice it is another matter, which I not have any strong opinions about. Myyona would properly be very insulted if anybody challenged her, as she deems any kind of "warrior code" for primitive behavior.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Mazca

• Clonejack
  • Best Regards
« Reply #61 on: 05 May 2010, 03:50 »

I don't see capsuleers dueling eachother and throwing away the lives of their crew in PF. If there are, please show it to me and I'll amend the views.

Can we atleast agree that Duels can be used as valid RP then?

Edit: copy from http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1059&tid=7

A duel between the Serpentis Corporation and Ryan Routine was fought in the Serpentis Prime system earlier this week. The contest, won by the Serpentis, quietened any speculation that the corporation did not still have its sharp edges.
The duel between Admiral Rembran of the Serpentis Corporation and Ryan Routine of Cataclysm Enterprises within the G Alliance had been initiated by a request from Mr. Routine to battle Salvador Sarpati. Sarpati, CEO of the Serpentis Corporation, currently holds the ill-favored and sometime-coveted spot of the most wanted man in the known universe, with a bounty of 1.184 billion isk.

The battle lasted approximately eight minutes before the Machariel piloted by Mr. Routine exploded under the attack of Admiral Rembran's Vindicator. Loosely organized betting pools gathered over 300 participants, with less than fifty-percent expecting the Serpentis to win.

Mr. Routine said that he had originally planned to fight CEO Sarpati, but due to internal Serpentis politics the duel had been arranged with Admiral Rembran instead. Mr. Routine also commented that "This was the most exciting duel I've ever had."

An earlier incident involving the loss of a Moros had set the Admiral at odds with his CEO. Even in victory, doubts remained: "No. I don't know if I'll ever look alright in Sarpati's eyes. At least I know I'm keeping my position. But one of these days, I'm going to get my revenge on those meatbags who destroyed my ship."
« Last Edit: 05 May 2010, 05:11 by Mazca »

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #62 on: 05 May 2010, 04:18 »

Duels are valid RP, claiming that the Jovian's are pulling the strings can be valid RP, claiming that none of the Amarr really believe in God can be valid RP, claiming that we are not real but are only simulations and we have controllers elsewhere pulling our strings can be valid RP.

If you duel regularly, I will RP as considering you a immoral mass murderer caring nothing for the lives of your crew. If you counter it by RP-ing your ships are nearly crewless, then I'll probably revise my RP opinion.

Duels can be used on occasion as a useful RP tool, but I see more use to it as a non-RP tool to have a fun competition with another player (and not the other character).

The fact that we have people not having fun OOC about this particular duel indicates to me that in this case it was *not* a useful RP tool in this case. Simply consider carefully which people you challenge if you are aiming for both a fun RP encounter and a fun PvP encounter and you'll be fine.

Mazca

• Clonejack
  • Best Regards
« Reply #63 on: 05 May 2010, 04:52 »

Here is the deal though Merdaneth, We have arrived at this point, because of IC interactions, during which, at some point someone brought into question, OOC motives and the viability of Duels as RP in itself.
Regardless of OOC motivations or no OOC motivations it is really rater moot as long as the challenge is presented in a format and setting that is not conflicting with RP.
That is to say, if you don’t want to duel you have plenty of justification IC to refuse. To invalidate its RP potential simply doesn’t add up.
I see no reason to be sensitive about who you challenge. If you have an IC motive, go play, as long as you can live with the IC repercussions it brings along. 

:)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]