Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that a theremax is a musical instrument constructed of a thin, black piece of rubbery material with embedded oscillators that is played by moving one's hands in the electric field it generates? (p. 100)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Devblog] Ship-troduction: the minmatar tornado  (Read 5840 times)

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3001

We couldn‘t just give the Minmatar a new ship and leave the other factions out (NPC military escalation doesn’t work like that), so, in the spririt of mutually assured destruction,  each of the factions have sent their best engineers and scientists to the drafting boards and will also be rolling out a new tier 3 battlecruiser.

„But isn‘t the Tornado a battleship?“

According to the original concept it was, yes. But when reviewing the armadas of existing ships we came to the conclusion that it would make much more sense to add another tier of battlecruisers instead of a fourth battleship tier, and that the accessibility of bc skills would mean more of these ships might be in the hands of younger, brasher pilots. That means more pew pew pew overall.

What sets these new battlecruisers apart from their lower tier cousins?

The most unique thing about them is that they will be able to fit battleship-sized weapons. Yes, you heard correctly... battlecruisers with oversized guns.

They will be capable of similar damage output as a battleship but obviously all that damage comes at a price.They won‘t be able to tank like a battleship, but what they lack in the tanking department the right pilot should be able to somewhat make up for  with speed and distance management. Those looking to start minmaxing fleets of TÖTALHELLDEATH will have to wait a bit for the stats.

The concept is; violent, fast and fun.

In the following weeks we will be introducing the Tornado‘s three counterparts. Stay tuned!

This is going to be very very interesting.  :yar:
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Helen Ohmiras

Re: [Devblog] Ship-troduction: the minmatar tornado
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2011, 09:12 »

The concept is; violent, fast and fun.
I need a new pair of pants.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2011, 09:13 »

Hurr.  The Caldari version with cruise missiles is simply going to replace the Drake as the new meta unless they make the tank weaker and make it a lolhybrid boat.  And even then if they buff railguns.  And these are going to make battleships even more obsolete unless they wind up costing more to build.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:18 »

These should probably be glass cannons as much as possible.  I am thinking along the lines of only being able to have a tank roughly the same range as a cruiser built to tank.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:27 »

These should probably be glass cannons as much as possible.  I am thinking along the lines of only being able to have a tank roughly the same range as a cruiser built to tank.

Its basically the analogue of WW2 Battlecruisers - they have battleship guns on slightly oversized cruiser bodies. Makes sense to me :)

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Desiderya

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:31 »

It's labelled T3. So I guess there'll be a world of difference between the loss of a T1 battleship and a T3 BC.

Also I imagine the caldari one being something that utilizes torpedoes pretty well.

Sakura Imoru

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:34 »

It's labelled T3. So I guess there'll be a world of difference between the loss of a T1 battleship and a T3 BC.

Also I imagine the caldari one being something that utilizes torpedoes pretty well.

No, not T3, but Tier 3. It will be a Tech-1-ship

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2011, 11:00 »

People keep getting T3 and Tier 3 mixed up.  Tier 3 is T1.  A tier 3 battleship is a Maelstrom or Abaddon, Rokh, or Hype.  All T1 but 3rd tier.  Very significant difference.  The tornado is a tech 1 ship.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2011, 11:06 »

This could have hilarious results for the Gallente - a fast ship with large blasters? Yes please.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:06 »

Ninja Hybrid fix?

Sounds promising, but we'll have to wait and see for stats. I'm kind of imagining a Hurricane with BS ACs, and wondering how it won't be OP if it is at all fast.  :D

Desiderya

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2011, 16:02 »

No, not T3, but Tier 3. It will be a Tech-1-ship

And I was wondering why there was no (rightful) outcry about T3s. Thanks, that makes actually a lot sense.

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2011, 17:33 »

So, they are finally going to add actual battlecruisers to the game? About time. :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:33 »

So, they are finally going to add actual battlecruisers to the game? About time. :)

Someone's got their naval knowledge :3

CCP Navigator and a CSM says the Gallente battlecruiser is teh awesome. Good day to be Minmatar/Gallente-trained \o/

Robert Kauliford

• Clonejack
    • Symon's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:47 »

Oh hell yes  :D

And yes the idea of the tier 3 being glass cannons is spot on for what BCs should be

* Robert Kauliford tries to dig up the post it saying 'BCs should pack BS guns'

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:57 »

I'm gonna miss telling people the Tempest is the best Minmatar battlecruiser if this holds true. :lol:

Can't wait to see what the other three look like.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: [1] 2 3