Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Winter Expansion - New Ships (Tornado, Talos)  (Read 7780 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Winter Expansion - New Ships (Tornado, Talos)
« Reply #30 on: 31 Oct 2011, 15:01 »

90% speed reduction combined with a close range weapon system that is getting an inherent tracking buff.

It will not be as accurate cruiser fire, but it will be damn close: it's not hard to hit frigates moving at snails pace.

You'd be surprised. AB frigates won't have any problem, non-AB frigs will have some problems.

The greatest danger lies in the speed difference. If the frig is effectively slower than the new BC when webbed, then it won't be able to make use of the transversal/small sig combination against a smart BC pilot. However, this is all theoretical 1vs1 stuff. What we should be looking at is how to abuse the new BC (preferably in coordinate blobs)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2011, 17:15 »

Considering that I saw a fit for the Tornado last night using the initual stats that could do 1k DPS at up to 70km while go 3 km/s... yeah. The current stats are very OP, and very likely to be changed.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 01 Nov 2011, 01:55 »

Wait, you mean the Talos won't simply be a more expensive, less flexible, and less-tanky (is this even possible?) brutix?

Someone call the nerfpolice.

People should try flying gallente ships before demanding they be nerfed. Having 20% of the engagement envelope of every other race in the game is more than enough counterbalance to whatever advantages the Talos ship bonuses will bring it.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #33 on: 01 Nov 2011, 12:38 »

Wait, you mean the Talos won't simply be a more expensive, less flexible, and less-tanky (is this even possible?) brutix?

People should try flying gallente ships before demanding they be nerfed. Having 20% of the engagement envelope of every other race in the game is more than enough counterbalance to whatever advantages the Talos ship bonuses will bring it.

I fly Enyos :) I love gallente ships, but seriously, right now the Talos is overpowered.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #34 on: 01 Nov 2011, 13:08 »

I fly Enyos :) I love gallente ships, but seriously, right now the Talos is overpowered.

Angel ships have been overpowered for the last 2 years.

Every race deserves a period in the sunshine.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:32 »

What facts can you demonstrate to prove this fact? :P

Brutixes sell for 18 million. These ships will be in the 40 million isk range. Assuming quantity of pilots is not possible what advantages will the Talos have that justifies investing in one over two brutixes? The two brutixes, properly gank fit, can do more dps, with more tank. Only difference might be speed, or webs.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #36 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:37 »

Cost as a balancing mechanism...where have we heard that before...
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #37 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:51 »

Gallente can never be allowed to be OP, nerf it... I've heard that before as well.

And that is assumiing I agree on the whole 'talos is op' whine. I don't. As things stand now it will be an under-performing no-range blaster boat with no tank or a glass-cannon rail boat with insufficent damage and tracking. If it actually ends up working SO WELL that it's widely regarded as op I'll laugh myself silly for the five minutes it will take CCP to nerf it to 'never-flies-again' status.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 01 Nov 2011, 18:59 »

Because I didn't mention any other objective, quantifiable pieces of data in my post as to why the Talos has no significant advantages over other ships in this class/role.

Flying blaster battleships, of which there are three in the game, is an extraordinarily frustrating process. Your dps is crap at almost every range besides point blank, but if you are engaging a target with anything less than scram, and 2 webs effective on it, you do less dps than most battlecruisers due to the number of misses you incur.

If one was to create a ship class that uses battleship class weapons, and didn't have any interest in remarkably improving the performance of the heavier blaster battleships, while still allowing this new class to be effective in its niche, designated role, then the web bonus and ship hull velocity is mandatory, as without it is nearly impossible to maintain that close range to be effective.

The Talos will be popular in gatecamps, and I can see where this might incur some angst from other pilots. However, other Tier 3's will be effective Talos counters, such as artillery Tornados, Naga snipers, or Beam/Pulse Oracles. the talos will be utterly defenseless against a long-range assault; how is this not an effective counter?

I thought the line was that if a ship class's only counter was more of that ship class, then it was overpowered/unbalanced. That is clearly not the case here, as any number of shiptypes are effective in countering the Talos short-range superiority.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #39 on: 01 Nov 2011, 19:17 »

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?"
~ George Carlin
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #40 on: 01 Nov 2011, 21:04 »

Angel ships have been overpowered for the last 2 years.

Every race deserves a period in the sunshine.

I agree with this statement so much that I want to hug it. The Talos will finally be a worthwhile option for Gallente pilots who have been flying Winmatar ships. About time we had something that was Best in Show.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 01 Nov 2011, 22:09 »

Hybrid Weapon Boost

Note the general speed boost to the Gallente hulls (and the Falcon & Cormorant), it may not be all of them.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 02 Nov 2011, 03:06 »

Poor freighters... Welcome to the new griefer tools, faster lock time, cheaper, BS guns = success.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #43 on: 02 Nov 2011, 05:10 »

Poor freighters... Welcome to the new griefer tools, faster lock time, cheaper, BS guns = success.

Not for a week or so, while the prices drops to something reasonable.

Also Catalyst is the new Brutix:

Quote from: RoemySchneider on FHC
[Catalyst, Catalyst fit]

Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Hobgoblin II x1

"fuck tank! roemy! just probe that bitch with your scimitar and give me a warp-in! i'll just dispose of any dangerous drones..."
526dps before imps or any other shenanigans
i'm giggling irl somehow

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #44 on: 02 Nov 2011, 06:51 »

Woop woop, my RP-OCD will no longer twitch over being a Gallente RPer while flying Minmatar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4