Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a demonstration by the pro-cloning group Imperial Immortality Foundation was attacked by the Imperial Army using nanotoxin in YC106, resulting in numerous fatalities.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Winter Expansion - New Ships (Tornado, Talos)  (Read 7762 times)

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
Re: Winter Expansion - New Ships (Tornado, Talos)
« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2011, 18:39 »

PS. Leave my Hyperion alone, it looks awesome.

Hyperion needs a retexture/patch up at the very least. It has a seam down the middle which looks awful. I swear they swapped the Trinity models out of shoddier versions at some point.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2011, 19:17 »

As I said to someone else on OOC vent, there will be some ships they likely won't completely rebuild from the ground up. The tier 2 battleships are part of those ships. Considering they are some of the most recognizable ships in EVE, and there are even models being sold of them... I doubt they'll be made to look much different than they are now.

Imagine the backlash if the Apocalypse suddenly looked totally different? Or the Megathron?

No. while all ships will recieve a brand new model, some of them will receive models that strongly resemble the old models. As bad as the Tempest and Raven look, I think I can stand behind CCP if they decide to never deviate from that 'classic' design, but instead just upgrade the quality of the design by using more polygons and better textures.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2011, 05:25 »

Honestly, as an artist myself, I do not understand the (artistical) reasoning behind all these remodelings. It just seems like they are not happy because some of these ships are not to their taste or something.

Who cares about tastes ffs ? It is about artistic coherence and credibility, as much as aesthetical justifications. What is the problem with the raven ? I fail to see one. Maybe its ugly, but artistically, IT IS NOT. If we only designed good looking stuff we would end up with no ugly fat characters, no shantytown environnements, no trashes, no garbage, nothing "ugly". And yet, you can perfectly design ugly things and make them beautiful artistically. That is one of the basics of artistic direction.

I can understand why they redesigned the scorpion, but I fail to understand for example why they changed it so much. What was outdated was not the design itself, but its rendering that was too... "simple / not really polished". They could have redesigned it without changing everything, even if I love the new model. Artistically it just does not make any sense. I hope that they will do like Kat says for the Raven, it just does not need to be changed. What they did for example on the maller was good : they upgraded it without totally changing it for a whim.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2011, 08:05 »

The new Raven seems to have your thoughts in mind.

Not too vast a change.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2011, 06:23 »

I was under the impression that the reason for remaking the models was that the new stuff (T3, Scorpion, Primae, etc) are made with a different approach to shading and texturing that allows for easy implementation of special skins and corp logos, which the old Trinity 2.0 method doesn't support.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #20 on: 31 Oct 2011, 09:52 »

I'd say they new models also have something to do with the new turrets looking a bit out of place and oversized for some turret mounts on a few of the smaller ships. So might just be updating them to make if all merge together better.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2011, 10:28 »

I am currently quite worried about these new battlecruisers. One of them in particular.

The Talos (currently) is getting a tracking bonus and a 90% web? This may be aimed at killing big stuff, but that is going to absolutely ruin frigates.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:28 »

I am currently quite worried about these new battlecruisers. One of them in particular.

The Talos (currently) is getting a tracking bonus and a 90% web? This may be aimed at killing big stuff, but that is going to absolutely ruin frigates.

I thought 90% web would only help vs frigates if it has lots of drones and/or anti-frigate fleetmembers, since its still large guns, which don't hit frigates at close range at all well ?

if it was using normal cruiser size guns, it would be a lot more dangerous to frigates, yes ?
\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:47 »

I thought 90% web would only help vs frigates if it has lots of drones and/or anti-frigate fleetmembers, since its still large guns, which don't hit frigates at close range at all well ?

if it was using normal cruiser size guns, it would be a lot more dangerous to frigates, yes ?

90% speed reduction combined with a close range weapon system that is getting an inherent tracking buff.

It will not be as accurate cruiser fire, but it will be damn close: it's not hard to hit frigates moving at snails pace.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Robert Kauliford

• Clonejack
    • Symon's Blog
« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:49 »

Would love to see it snag a vagabond or a cynabal though. Preferably not one I'm flying  ;)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2011, 13:10 »

Oh, and while we're on the subject, as well as the 90% web it (currently) has drones as well?! Wtf ccp, I hope they changes this.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2011, 13:42 »

Well, the thing to remember is that these are glass cannons. So while they might ruin frigs, they'll die horribly to anything that can outrange them. Not that frigs needed anything else that is good at killing them :(

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2011, 13:44 »

Well, the thing to remember is that these are glass cannons. So while they might ruin frigs, they'll die horribly to anything that can outrange them. Not that frigs needed anything else that is good at killing them :(

Yeah. Unfortunately, Oracle and Tornado (currently) have stupidly long ranges and good tracking. So there's not a whole lot that will out range them. (I think someone worked out that an all lvl5 tornado with 2 te's and barrage will have 80km+ falloff).

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2011, 13:52 »

People really need to take a good, long look at that picture, and remember that not only are the numbers they're bitching/cheering about are from Chaos - an internal development server - and not the public test server Singularity, the numbers are extremely likely to have changed before we actually get to play with anything on Sisi, and all the pissing and moaning is wasted air.

Not to mention that the normal development procedure for these things goes something like this:
1) Decide what type of changes you want to make. Not how strong you want to make the changes, but just what kind of changes.
2) Make the changes in a ridiculously overpowered fashion. This is done so that any new results from testing can be easily pinpointed to the new changes, and not to the status quo. For example: 90% web on Talos, Destroyer tweaks, T2 ammo changes, etc.)
3) Based on actual results and testing, as well as useful forum feedback - that is, not crystal-ball-induced tears - slowly tweak the changes back down to reasonable levels over repeated rounds of testing.
4) Release.

While it's true that CCP often doesn't follow that route, instead releasing things in a half- to mostly-overpowered state, and then nerfing it later via lolpatcher patches, given the apparent attitude turnaround by CCP, perhaps a little bit of the benefit of the doubt is in order? Because really, I'm getting tired of hearing people going "OMG X TYPE OF PVP IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE OF Y CHANGES I HAVE NO MORE REASON TO GO ON PLAYING THE GAME" about it.

Internal development server. Changes and values are not set in stone. Wait until you see things on the test server before QQing.

Please.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 31 Oct 2011, 14:03 »

Above being why I added (currently) to everyone of my posts. I know they're likely to change, I just really hope they do  :psyccp:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4