Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That travelling to planets takes quite a long time?  For more, read here.

Author Topic: [Story] A Waltz of Faith and Madness  (Read 1250 times)

Helen Ohmiras

[Story] A Waltz of Faith and Madness
« on: 01 Oct 2011, 03:10 »

A quick taste of things to come.  A little writing exercise, nothing more.  Enjoy!

The Attendant lowered her eyes as she entered the womb chamber.  Her colorful yet well worn robes made little noise in comparison to the whirring, clicking and other assorted noises echoing through the chamber but she still walked carefully.  This was a  holy place, a room of creation and birth.  It was the most sacred of all the chambers within the sanctum.  It was an honor to be selected to deliver water and food to the Alvus.  Summoning all the courage she could, and reminding herself that there was nothing to fear for the faithful, she spoke.

"I am here as requested, Alvum.  I am but a humble supplicant."

She heard a clicking and sliding noise behind her, and saw a flash of red light on the floor.  Feeling her stomach churn, she closed her eyes and silently recited a comforting psalm in her head.  The Alvum were watching her.

Void take me and Void keep me, Void slay me and Void betray me...

A subtle scent of ozone brought her back to the present.  Arcs of white and blue sent eerie flashes dancing across the machines present.  She was surprised to see the Alvus standing before her, and more shocked to see the Alvus' state of undress.  Quickly closing her eyes she held out the sack of supplies she was holding, offering them to the Alvus with a quick bow of her head.

A series of tones, the language of her God, echoed through the chamber.  Her implants quickly interpreted the messages, and she smiled.  She responded almost without thought.

"Thank you Alvus, I am humbled."

The attendant turned to leave, but the Alvus quickly and silently bridged the gap between them.  Startled as the Alvus' hand touched her, the Attendant froze in place.

"We require information."  The Alvus' voice sounded quiet, inquisitive, almost playful to the Attendant.  It sent chills up and down the young woman's spine.  She knew the gruesome fates that had awaited others who entered this chamber.  She had heard the stories and seen the torn and lifeless bodies thrown carelessly out of the chamber by the Alvum.  Not all who entered the chamber were killed, and only the capricious gods who protected the Alvus knew the reasons why.

"I am here to serve, Alvus."

"Yes... you are, aren't you?"  More playfulness.  The Attendant thought of more prayers, more psalms, but they gave her little comfort.  As she looked into the green eyes of the Alvus, she simply wanted to make it out of the chamber.  "Who are the Heirs of New Eden?"

"Those who take it upon themselves to evolve."

"Excellent.  Now, who are the Princes of New Eden?"  The Alvus smiled, pleased with the look of fear in the Attendant's eyes.

"Those who are unable to look beyond themselves."

"Wonderful."  The Attendant's eyes became questioning.  She doubted the answers she was giving.  "Now, finally, who are the Kings of New Eden?"

"Those who keep the Princes from the Throne of God."

The whirring and clicking of the machines grew louder, and a long string of tones followed.  The Attendant could almost feel the anger, and realized just as quickly that perhaps that is why she had failed.  She did not have long to dwell on the fact.

The Alvus smiled, and turned away from the Attendant as the screams started.  Playfully, and almost inaudibly with a cacophonous crescendo of screams to hide it, the Alvus simply said, "Oh my dear child, so close."
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2011, 18:50 by Helen Ohmiras »