Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New e-o forums "like" button - IC or OOC?  (Read 7159 times)

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
New e-o forums "like" button - IC or OOC?
« on: 14 Sep 2011, 16:00 »

I've been using the new "like" button on the e-o forums for a while to reward cool posts, and have noticed that this is a very OOC consideration - I want to reward people with good RP posts and say "awesome, please more of those." This differs greatly from what Arkady would reward (I've "liked" a number of Amarr posts, say).

How do others handle this? Do you "like" IC or OOC?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: New e-o forums "like" button - IC or OOC?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2011, 16:16 »

OOC/IC for me. I only toss a like if both my character and me are impressed with what was said. That way, no matter which way someone takes it... they've got it right.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2011, 16:29 »

I've been taking it OOC, I don't really see Malcolm caring all that much about giving someone a "like" for a post.

I've liked posts that I've found to make good points, even if they are points Malcolm would disagree with, I've liked funny, sarcastic and creative posts.

If I see a post that I think is really well written, or brings out effective arguments, or simply reflects a character's viewpoints really well, I like it.

Ultimately, if I feel a post is fitting, I will probably like it - no matter how Malcolm feels about it.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2011, 16:33 »

Considering the anonymity behind the feature, I'm hard pressed to think it has any IC relevance outside of when characters specifically mention using it IC.

All it shows is someone somewhere +1'd, but the who and why is a complete mystery. Now, if it showed others who +1'd, then it'd have more weight IC as a function.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2011, 17:50 »

You are aware that you can see who "likes" your posts, right?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2011, 18:28 »

But we cannot see who has liked other people's posts.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2011, 18:56 »

Then I'd consider it ic. My character can use this info to react to people who like what I have written. I'd say its a difficult path to ignore it as ooc info.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2011, 19:32 »

Not too difficult from my perspective. I just presume that Mal doesn't see the "like" function at all. He's going to say what he feels he needs to say (or wants to say) to whomever he pleases, whenever he pleases, regardless.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2011, 20:26 »

So when Kaleigh messages you and says "Thanks for endorsing my post", you're going to pretend it never happened? Sure, I guess you could, but to ME that seems a tad silly. ;)

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2011, 20:51 »

So when Kaleigh messages you and says "Thanks for endorsing my post", you're going to pretend it never happened? Sure, I guess you could, but to ME that seems a tad silly. ;)

In a case like this, to be quite honest, Malcolm would ask what you are talking about. Unless he vocalizes an endorsement, he didn't endorse anything. (Because if he doesn't have something to hold him accountable to that endorsement, then the endorsement is worthless by the very fact that he cannot prove he did it).

Malcolm has, from the time of his creation, always stood for honesty and integrity. Anything he does, he will take account for and do his absolute best to ensure that he could prove his actions in order to be held accountable to them. Whether that be to his benefit or his detriment.

I understand it's a bit of a stretch, but to be honest, having "like" buttons on a bunch of open debate forums in a dark, cutthroat setting like New Eden is pretty much silly to begin with.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2011, 21:28 »

So when I provide a screenshot to you and the public declaring your support for my message, what then? Would I be accused of blurring the boundaries of IC/OOC behavior?

Mind you, I'm not singling you out for some devious purpose Malcolm, you just happen to be a convenient example of the insanity that people go to to AVOID player interaction when the opportunity presents itself. I guarantee you there will be discussions about the like button in-character, and you (and others who think as you do) may be forced to deny its utter existence.

It doesn't make you wrong or me right, but personally, I just consider it another tool, or opportunity to interact with others. I don't want the vision of a grim-dark world to include isolation either. :(

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:40 »

I'd say it's OOC.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:19 »

I'd say it's IC on IGS posts and OOC on other EVE-O forums. But it's possible to +1 an enemy for at least being the sort of enemy you can have a proper argument with.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:39 »

I have used it one or two times until now because I felt bad not to award this back to people that did this to me in the first place...  :oops:

But I will probably sound like an ingrate and say this is over. I do not support nor condone that kind of facebook thingy and will therefore not use it, and even ignore it as much as I can.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:55 »

So when I provide a screenshot to you and the public declaring your support for my message, what then? Would I be accused of blurring the boundaries of IC/OOC behavior?

No, I wouldn't accuse you of blurring the lines at all. If you went that obnoxiously far about it, I'd probably just make an IC post about disregarding it with an OOC disclaimer and then never "like" anything you typed again.
If people want to be that obnoxious about it and begin using it as an "IC tool" for promoting turning it into a "let's be buddies! I'll like you and you like me!" cabbage patch babies group toy, then I'll simply stop using it altogether.

Not being hostile, just making my point clear. It's an OOC mechanic and I don't see any reason to try using it from an IC perspective and if someone wants to be obnoxious about it and claim that my "liking" their post meant I was "endorsing" what they said, they'll simply never get another "like" from me. The last thing this game needs a stupid mechanic to help form even more cliques.

I think it's funny that you meantion "the INSANITY people go through to avoid player interaction" because that IS blurring IC/OOC. Players shouldn't be interacting on IC forums, characters should. If you want to interact with me as a player, use backstage, an OOC chat channel, Ventrillo or any of the other available methods to do it, but keep player interaction out of my IC forums. It's irritating enough already that it exists so that a silly conversation like this one is even possible. Besides, you're talking about "player interaction" and then trying to say that it's an IC device - that's not "player interaction" that's "charaacter interaction." I'm the one talking about player interaction and how it should stay OOC.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2011, 04:59 by Malcolm Khross »
Pages: [1] 2 3