Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Where do you stand politically?  (Read 30143 times)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: Where do you stand politically?
« Reply #30 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:22 »

I've been pretty much dead center of the X axis for most of my adult life. I have however been steadily creeping up the Y axis as I get older.

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #31 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:28 »

Out of curiosity: how many of you feel that your location on the map would have changed significantly over the years?

I have most definitely been moving up and to the right. When I was in Uni/late high school I would've been in the lower left quadrant.

These day I'd say I'm a utilitarian who doesn't believe in individual rights, but who believes in market outcomes. Individuals acting selfishly (in a market) won't bring about the absolute best outcome, but it will (in my opinion) bring about the best realistically attainable outcome.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 19:30 by Dex_Kivuli »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #32 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:30 »

* Havohej sighs wistfully.

It's hard to believe a thread like this could get to page three with no problems.

I love you guys.

<3

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:38 »

* Havohej sighs wistfully.

It's hard to believe a thread like this could get to page three with no problems.

I love you guys.

<3

...if you want I could give some of my opinions on politics to mix it up for you instead of just minor overviews. I'm sure that would get at least someone's panties in a wad.

Would that help?

Kamiko Hautala

• Clonejack
« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:42 »

1. I started this thread, do I get a free Raven?

2. Lillith, my spidey sense of text-based psychology makes me guess your age in the late 30s, or early 40s.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:44 »

What would make you come to that assessment?

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #36 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:48 »

I think politics are silly and they should just make me complete and master overlord of this pathetic rock of a planet.

With a large spikey tower + lava moat. Mmmm. :E

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #37 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:52 »

I think politics are silly and they should just make me complete and master overlord of this pathetic rock of a planet.

Suddenly this picture becomes strangely relevant and even funnier.  :lol:

EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #38 on: 22 Apr 2010, 20:00 »

I'm unlikely to get too worked up here. I live in Dallas, Texas, where we have a lot of the Tea Partiers whom I generally oppose (and not just on policy grounds). But we manage to all, you know, not shoot each other. And in Texas, that's something :(

Vikarion

« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2010, 20:19 »

* Dex_Kivuli starts to cry.
Vikarion I think... I think... I love you.

We should both become Caldari, I think... oh wait... we are.

Edit: the trouble with the test is that some of the questions are plainly contradictory. For some of the questions it's hard to be socially liberal on some issues, and yet very free-market in others.

It's a pity one of us isn't a hot chick, right?

Anyway, I've always been fairly right of center (ok, well, not always, but since I was old enough to vote), but I've become much more libertarian in recent years, partially because the deepening of my religious faith (Christianity) has lead me to believe that making others follow morality is pointless - it's their choice to do it that matters, and you cannot have that under an authoritarian system.

That is also, interestingly, why I believe in private charity over government assistance: charity is meaningless unless it is by choice, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 20:24 by Vikarion »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #40 on: 22 Apr 2010, 21:07 »

I've stayed more or less the same, I suppose. Left or center left on the economic slide, and on the libertarian side of the other. I have become more libertarian in some matters, but considerably more authoritarian in others, particularly concerning religion. Unlike some of my friends who are also vocally atheist, I strongly support the union of state and church we have here in Norway, because what it has resulted in is the secular state utterly castrating the church and forcing it to adjust its theology to accommodate every secular law that is passed, thereby making it into something which most of its nominal adherents pay lip service towards at best. This is a brilliant system which we should never scrap, but instead do our best to impose on other faiths than our by now watered-down Lutheran Christianity, too. The Muslims in particular are a prime choice for next target.

I'm also a strong believer in a solid welfare state, not so much because I believe it is morally right as because I believe that it's more economically sound than having a weak one or not having one at all would be. My belief that it also creates more security and safety helps too.

The trend to me seems to be that having insufficient welfare policies generates increased levels of crime. Sure, some people will feel pressured to work harder or look for work more ardently, but a lot of people are going to opt for the "easy" way out of their economical difficulties, and turn to crime. This will in turn victimize a number of presumably innocent people and businesses, costing society money. A bigger police force will need to be hired, costing society money. As the criminals are caught (those of them who are), they will have the right to a fair trial. Lawyers, judges and other court staff will have to be maintained in sufficiently high numbers and paid wages, costing society money. The inevitable retrials will cost society even more money. Then the criminals go to prison, maybe for years. They'll have to be housed, fed and clothed, costing society money. Prison guards will have to be trained and paid, costing society money. The prison itself will have to be maintained, costing society money. As the very frosting on the cake, there'll be a priest attending to the fictional spiritual needs of the prisoners, and he costs society money, too! And when the prisoners are finally released after however long they've been spending behind walls, chances are that the only thing they've actually learned is how to become more efficient criminals, and so the entire circle starts again. And all the money sustaining this process comes out of the regular taxpayer's pocket. And it all costs more in the end than maintaining a decent welfare state would have done.

Having a strong welfare state means I need to worry less for my own and my property's safety from random desperadoes. Having to worry less makes me able to concentrate more on other things, and spend less money on private security measures. It keeps the streets more or less free of annoying strangers who pester random passersby for pocket change, and the ones I do meet, I can snub with a clear conscience, knowing that unless they pretty much actively resist getting their basic needs covered, it will happen. And all this for less money than the alternative would cost me.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 21:12 by Natalcya Katla »
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 23 Apr 2010, 00:18 »

Out of curiosity: how many of you feel that your location on the map would have changed significantly over the years?

Certainly, at one time, I would have been more or less with Dex, perhaps even a little higher up ('north'). But my outlook has changed over the years, and I don't doubt it will continue to do so as life experiences inform what passes for 'wisdom' in my head.

Do any of you feel like that's already happened to you?

Less authoritarian (used to be +2, now +0.2), Slightly more lefty (used to be bang on centre, now -2)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 23 Apr 2010, 00:21 »

Suddenly this picture becomes strangely relevant and even funnier.  :lol:

My Master Sauron the great bids thee welcome!

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:13 »

I'm also a strong believer in a solid welfare state, not so much because I believe it is morally right as because I believe that it's more economically sound than having a weak one or not having one at all would be. My belief that it also creates more security and safety helps too.

I semi-agree. I feel that welfare should be around, but FDR had a good thing going where it wasn't just "What? You're poor? Have some money." He gave you work to do and gave you a sub-minimum wage payout (depending on work and level of risk, some made a solid wage), and you got paid for working. The way we have it in the US is completely broken, not because we're not helping the people who need it, but because we're giving them no incentive to return to the workforce as a citizen actually giving to society. This breeds a dependancy on the State by not really giving them any reason to not be on Welfare.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2010, 13:54 »

I semi-agree. I feel that welfare should be around, but FDR had a good thing going where it wasn't just "What? You're poor? Have some money." He gave you work to do and gave you a sub-minimum wage payout (depending on work and level of risk, some made a solid wage), and you got paid for working. The way we have it in the US is completely broken, not because we're not helping the people who need it, but because we're giving them no incentive to return to the workforce as a citizen actually giving to society. This breeds a dependancy on the State by not really giving them any reason to not be on Welfare.

Yeah, this is a common pitfall and I don't think there are any easy answers. Here in the UK, it's not uncommon to find people for whom it is economically unviable to work because they would get less money by doing so. This isn't usually in the form of actual cash, but the hidden stuff like no/low-cost housing and not having to pay local taxes. It's the sort of thing that people get on their high horse about, of course, but the truth is that the money spent is a drop in the ocean when you look at the nation's other expenditure. Personally, I'd rather give money to lazy job-shy benefits scroungers than to bankers. It represents better value. :P
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16