Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the ISHAEKA Reports warned about the Sansha Nation Incursions possiblily occuring.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Where would we be without FW?  (Read 5961 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: Where would we be without FW?
« Reply #30 on: 08 Nov 2011, 15:36 »

In particular, FW erased the nuances of many factions - i.e., the Hawk-vs-Dove debate in the Federation or the acceptance-vs-terrorism debate in the Republic kind of became moot after the sides ended up at war.

^^ I agree with this a lot.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 08 Nov 2011, 17:24 »

I agree with this a lot more.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 08 Nov 2011, 22:12 »

From a story perspective, Empyrean Age was probably the worst blow to the credibility of a long-running PF I have ever seen in my life. The things they did do, the things they didn't do, the vast opportunities missed - even a fundamental fix to the mechanics of factional warfare will not undo the terrible damage to EVE's story that EA inflicted. There's so much wrong with the story elements that I don't have the stomach to go into it right now, and the way the story was implemented - with absolutely no player involvement, mitigation or input whatsoever - was a vile, pathetic disgrace.

What irritates me most, however, was the things CCP didn't do. This entire story had the potential to get rid of CONCORD permanently, remove limiting factors, let the war have some real consequences, but no, CONCORD came back stronger than ever somehow. By having Sarum show up at the very last moment with her magical bullshit device, they missed a golden (harr harr) opportunity to seriously throw the Empire for six and explore the actions of a demoralised Empire once again robbed of the illusion of invincibility - and the brutal, cut-throat struggle between the Heirs to become the new ruler of an Empire that desperately needed strong, unified leadership. This isn't just me hating on the Amarr - no-one should have saved them. The Elder Fleet - or, in a perfect world, whatever came for the Amarrians - should have fucked them up, and good, repelled only by a desperate and costly last-ditch effort by the remnants of the Amarrian Navy. Perhaps they could have had Admiral Saracen convince the Theology Council to let him redeem himself by leading the charge against the invaders. Having the Minmatar victory be phyrric was a terrible mistake.

Don't even get me started on the clusterfuck that was the Caldari-Gallente storyline.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #33 on: 08 Nov 2011, 22:40 »

Don't even get me started on the clusterfuck that was the Caldari-Gallente storyline.

No, please, go on.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 08 Nov 2011, 22:49 »

No, no, trust me, you really don't want to go down this road with me. And to be quite frank neither do I.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 09 Nov 2011, 01:24 »

No, please, go on.
You may want to go look at some old threads on Chatsubo  - 34 pages of reacting to a developing story line...

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #36 on: 09 Nov 2011, 11:41 »

Without FW, then PIE's Amarrian of the Year award would have a more diverse group of nominations, I think.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 09 Nov 2011, 12:18 »

CONCORD is not the problem imo, the problem might be in your case CONCORD interference in non capsuleer affairs. It could have been a lot nicer to see CONCORD blown up by whatever unexpected (but not a fleet of Elders ffs, one would think that this kind of obvious shit is no match for CONCORD), and then have to refocus on their core business : capsuleers. As CONCORD is more or less still tied to the 4 (5) factions whims (but not totally, they now have a lot of independance), CONCORD could have withdrawed from the intergalactic conventional scene to concentrate on capsuleers.

Because without CONCORD, you lose all the game limits for the players, basically.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 09 Nov 2011, 12:22 »

I loved FW at the very beginning. But with little to no story development, and no mechanics changes after things settled into optimal and predictable patterns for all sides, it gets stale and boring.

FW brings us the RP illusion of war, but lacking in many of the real attributes of war.

But in all honesty, to engage in exciting PvP before FW often meant investing lots and lots of hours just for one engagement. At the start of FW, one could easily get three decent engagements in an hour.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #39 on: 09 Nov 2011, 14:00 »

I loved FW at the very beginning. But with little to no story development, and no mechanics changes after things settled into optimal and predictable patterns for all sides, it gets stale and boring.

FW brings us the RP illusion of war, but lacking in many of the real attributes of war.

But in all honesty, to engage in exciting PvP before FW often meant investing lots and lots of hours just for one engagement. At the start of FW, one could easily get three decent engagements in an hour.

You know something tells me, the day they might balance out faction frigs and you risk actaully finding something other than daredevils/dramiels in even the smallest plexes, people might risk flying the low-cost easy to replace T1 frigs again. My toon in FW flies T1 frigs and cruisers as a point of pride, and mostly I run from the aformentioned faction frigs or perhaps take my chances on attacking navy frigates in T1, because they are not so over-the-top that there is a chance to get a victory from such an engagement, if tactical situations favor you. In the start of FW it was a dream for newer players, because the number of T1 ships around meant your had alot of affordable T1 vs alot of other affordable T1 stuff. Now it's die to faction or ship spinn in station, barring the rare instances you get a more balanced engagement.

... damn it, I'm going on about FW again. I'll leave this here. Suffice to say, I think, FW *could* be alot of fun again, but several things need to change for that to happen.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 09 Nov 2011, 14:02 »

Because without CONCORD, you lose all the game limits for the players, basically.

Not necessarily. I could see the various faction navies stepping up to the plate. Aggress someone in Amarr space? The Amarr Navy comes down on you hard, now that Concord is gone.

You might have problems with them making life excessively hard for FW participants in their enemies territories, but I could live with that (although, I'd want the autopilot to give me a warning)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:47 »

Yes of course, you can always find new roles.

What annoys me is that people are always spitting on CONCORD. Fuck CONCORD, they are useless, they are corrupt, blablabla. What the hell ? I can understand that they are source of debate, but what I find just weird is seeing everyone saying that CONCORD are some kind of aberation that everyone should get rid of.

I, for one, find that faction very useful to the lore and the depth of the universe. Especially because you all have seen what happened with FW : oversimplification of the conflict (and all that has been stated above). If people want to get rid of the last remnants of what prevent the whole cluster to go on a full scale war with even less depth as today...
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2011, 17:48 by Lyn Farel »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #42 on: 09 Nov 2011, 19:48 »

What annoys me is that people are always spitting on CONCORD. Fuck CONCORD, they are useless, they are corrupt, blablabla. What the hell ? I can understand that they are source of debate, but what I find just weird is seeing everyone saying that CONCORD are some kind of aberation that everyone should get rid of.

I, for one, find that faction very useful to the lore and the depth of the universe. Especially because you all have seen what happened with FW : oversimplification of the conflict (and all that has been stated above). If people want to get rid of the last remnants of what prevent the whole cluster to go on a full scale war with even less depth as today...

The majority of these whine are IC - they stem from;

Star Fraction - 'CONCORD is a symptom of the corrupt nationalistic/imperialistic pig-dog governments etc etc etc'
Pirates - 'blatter blatter blatter TRANSLATION; "We want CONCORD gone so we can rape, pillage and burn i nhigh sec to, down with the police"
Specific Minmatar - 'CONCORD is biased towards Amarr whiner blatter whine whine whine'
Specific Amarr - 'CONCORD is the only reason the Republic still stands, herity derp' - you don't see this ofthen, but iirc there was 1-2 incidents.
Anyone else who for some reason think CONCORD are corrupt/useless/spineless/biased/inneffective/jerks/what-have-ya.

Basically, anyone who whine about CONCORD, far as I've seen, has some form of selfish desire they want satisfied with CONCORD's removal.

The few OOC complaints are people unhappy about the machanics or in favor of a newer system. I personally don't really care either way, so long as the game-mechanics that keep capsuleers in check are maintained, or trimmed to be more effective - the last thing I want to see, is the end of high-sec, or a need to keep an armed ship and a gang handy at all times, because the moment those mechanics stop working, an all-out killing-spree will start as everyone fights everyone and all the can't-fight-worh-a-damn stay docked forever or die on the undock.

Bottom line? Fuck the whiners. New Eden needs CONCORD, or simmilar organ doing the exact same job. Might as well keep the devil you know...

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #43 on: 09 Nov 2011, 21:51 »

While they're a useful game mechanic, there's really no reason why someone should applaud CONCORD in terms of lore. At all.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #44 on: 09 Nov 2011, 21:52 »

I think you have to look at CONCORD from the perspective of a capsuleer to understand the general distaste for it. By and large, they are the last great chain that holds capsuleers from having free reign to do anything they want, and are largely perceived as a bureaucratic tax collecting monster that blows up your ship in high sec when you accidentally fire off a smartbomb to close to your buddy,  yet often fail to protect your hauler as you travel afk through high sec. They don't protect innocents from bloodthirsty wars, they keep the empires from killing each other for good (what nationalist likes that?), they let murderers repent by killing pirates, and make you pay insane amounts of fees for holding sovereignty in the outer regions. The only good they do is deter random violence in high-sec and give bounties for killing people they don't like; if this is New Eden's idea of a police force, I think we're screwed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4