Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DioCore is a Gallentean research firm that survived a hostile takeover by its own start-up investors, MindChill, in the early days of the company.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What is Roleplaying.  (Read 13446 times)

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
Re: What is Roleplaying.
« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2010, 14:38 »

I agree that the subculture should ideally act in an inclusive manner, but I don't see the merit in trying to deny its existence altogether.

If the subculture did not exist, neither would this forum.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #32 on: 26 Apr 2010, 16:05 »

Roleplay isn't simply playing a role either; it has a purpose. Beyond being more entertaining the idea is to learn another viewpoint or insight on another perspective, which is really where the average player doesn't consciously partake in. But that's just the official definition of roleplay- obviously what it means to us individually is another matter.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2010, 16:26 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ

I take your Onion's meta-RP and raise you this.

On a more serious note, I'd type up a long response and put it here, but I'd probably just be agreeing with a lot of what other people have said (Merd, Miz, Havo, Kaleigh, Katla in particular). No need to reinvent the wheel. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2010, 06:29 »

RPing is something you do consciously when playing the game. in order to roleplay, you have to consciously be "in character".

If you aren't, then you're not roleplaying. let's not needlessly complicate things beyond that point, please.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2010, 14:05 »

An important question is: How, in game, do you identify a roleplayer from someone who isnt roleplaying? I think that this is actually more difficult than what the "roleplayers" in Eve actually think.

Graanvlokkie is a little over a year old, he is my main and the only charater I have ever played in the game. I have one account, with one charater on it. During the past year I have met and interacted with various charaters but non of these charaters would know though the interactions that I am roleplaying.

My RP does not involve forcing my charaters views on others though my direct interactions or on IGS and making them aware that I am an evil underhanded person who should not be trusted and intends to lead them into the metaphorical dephs of hell. Does this mean I am not roleplaying?

My corp chat and corp public channel is only a text router and not a fancy VR interface allowing charaters to see one another, meaning that I dont use emotes because people wont see my face or hear me (unless logging into the voice comms). Does this mean im not roleplaying?

I use shorthand text in the text channels and not walls of flowery text. Does this mean im not roleplaying?

My corp mates and I chose not to engage the rest of the RP community on the IGS or on the various forums [the reason for which would merit a whole different thread*]. Does this mean im not roleplaying?

I believe that most people who have had conversations with me wouldnt catch onto the fact that im playing a charater. Does this mean im not roleplaying?

One of the reasons I love roleplaying in Eve is the extra layer of immersion in the game, and I never do things that break the immersion, such as refering to CCP, lag, logging off, downtime ect. Personally, I think this may be one way to pinpoint a roleplayer, but not necesarily.

A person in a ninja corp or low-sec pirate corp, with the ransoms and all, may not class himself as a roleplayer, may make references to immersion breaking mechanics like downtime, CCP and last nights real life sporting events, but he is still roleplaying a charater in my opinion. I dont believe that in real life he runs around stealing from helpless people and people who try to avoid conflict (carebears).

My roleplaying corp is in a fairly large (900 member) SOV holding alliance, which isnt a roleplaying alliance. Even though they do not declare themselves roleplayers, use shorthand speech on the text communication channels and often refer to immersion breaking mechanics doent mean that there isnt a lot of roleplaying going on in the alliance.

Our alliance charter makes reference to many ideals including "not being Goons" and not tolerating such sorts of behavior. This is a shared code of conduct. This, I submit, is roleplaying.

All alliance members are instructed to honor all 1V1 challenges, breaking this is punishable by death (ganking by fellow alliance members). Consequences for actions and a justice system in place to punish offenders. This, I submit, is roleplaying.

When the alliance joined the Ushra'Khan fleets in the final push to expel Paxton from Providence we were not told that we were doing this to free slaves or to punish Paxton for their actions and past misdeeds. We were told that in order to secure our pocket of space from Paxton and CVA red roaming gangs that were a common occurrence they needed to be driven out of Providence so that our space would be more easily defendable. This, I submit, is roleplaying.

What is the alliance roleplaying? They are roleplaying an independent, sovereign, space holding entity free from political ties to the High Sec factions. It has relations with its neighbors in order for all parties to mutually benefit, grow and expand in order to claim more space. It is for all purposes its own state or faction. This, I submit, is roleplaying.

Yes, there are references to immersion breaking mechanics in alliance mails, over vent during roams and in alliance chat, but when my FC says over vent during a roam that he was out all night and has a terrible hangover, how do I know he isn’t roleplaying? How do I know that’s not the character he's portraying. I’m very sure he doesn’t know I am portraying a character if I tell him I have just come back from a strip bar myself.

If you classify roleplaying as immersion in the game universe does it mean that anyone who makes reference to logging off, downtime or session counters is not roleplaying? Even though they are a hardcore ransoming pirate, a carebear ganking griefer in the pursuit of tears or a 0.0 sec fleet commander living honorably up to his alliances charter and needs of its members?

Yes, people can roleplay without declaring themselves openly as roleplayers, without engaging the roleplaying community and without elaborately stating their beliefs on IGS.

[* On a side note the recent live events have given Graanvlokkie motivation to contact some characters in game, so I have found myself interacting with some of the more "famous" RP characters.]

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 May 2010, 14:36 »

The Onion news service best news service.

I've always subscribed to the Garreck theorem, but being one of those geeks that misses 50+ page backstory sections in game manuals, I have to prefer engaging in an immersive story with intentional character development over distant and apathetic character consistency.

Kra

• Ark
  • Clonejack
« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2010, 05:07 »

Its long read trough all posts, claim me lazy if you like. But on topic want to say what is my idea of what rp is. Its swimming into dreamlands. reference: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/sk.asp

Other question is what rp is in eve.

My rp is what i do, as was stated above. Of course i enjoy communication with others and im always ic. But if im talking about game itself or planetside stuff i tend to sharply put line and fluently change to ooc.
I like to imagine what Kra thinks about this and that and do what he would think he would must do in different situations. Im not literate to write story's about what Kra has done and is thinking, i like to have easy attitude towards strict line of development. But all i rp is what i do, thats for sure.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 05:12 by Kra »
He who stands with me shall be my brother!

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2010, 05:49 »

When I started Eve, I had no ideas of joining the roleplaying community - wasn't even really aware that there was one.  I had one or two dealings with CVA and Ushra'khan (on both sides), but beyond some vague background I created for Mortis for my own amusement and occasional semi-IC banter on a boring day waiting for the mission runners to show up, I never put much thought into it.

When I applied to Ghost Festival, I had to rethink Mortis and my large collection of alts - but not much.  Personally, I think roleplaying is a matter of perspective.  You either claim to be doing it or not.  If you claim not to be, like most of Eve, then you're not.

I'm of the fairly whole-sale RP crowd - while I'll occasionally bend time by RPing in the Last Gate with Reppy when she's mining or something, I view pretty much all my actions as IC.  My characters are specifically built around the roles I need them for, and originally all were part of an unofficial organisation run by Mortis, hence the common ties.  Some have since drifted away from that, but it explains why they hang out together.  I do dabble in plenty of 'extended chatroom' stuff, but if Mortis goes out and kills somebody, he's actually done it.  If nothing else, it provides a useful springboard for plot arcs.  During a particularly bad week where I got podded three times, for instance, Mort started getting nightmares as a result of the stress.

It's an attitude that's helped if you have the imagination to explain away game-breaking concepts and a light touch when dealing with non-RP entities.  There was a thread on the GF forums where I actively set out to explain game mechanics IC; I was particularly pleased with the technobabble behind respawning asteroid belts :P

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jun 2010, 11:17 »

Here are a few basic rules for roleplaying in EVE:

1. You are obligated to invent arguments against every single thing your enemy says, even if they are stating true facts or their point makes perfect sense to your character.

2. Everyone must RP the way you think they should, otherwise their RP is wrong and you should thus inform them.

3. An IGS thread must stay on topic for the first 3 posts, after that it's fair game for derailing.

4. If you aren't creative enough to think of a way to communicate with someone IC, their RP must be wrong and you should thus inform them.

5. If your enemy has an event, accuse them of grandstanding and looking for attention.

6. If your enemy tries to enjoy eve, accuse them of trying to be relevant.

7. You should never perform a heroic action when petty bickering will suffice.

8. Whenever it suits you, you have no actual political enemies, they are just pirates.

9. Your character should never believe something if you ooc know it couldn't be true.

10. If all else fails, you didn't want that [//]insert anything here[//] anyways.

Failure to follow these simple rules will result in your character being biomassed by the RP gods.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 13:19 by Kazzzi »

Vieve

« Reply #40 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:35 »

1. You are obligated to invent arguments against every single thing your enemy says, even if they are stating true facts or their point makes perfect sense to your character.

1a. Or you can have your character agree with your enemy on a single point, then proceed to argue how they could have argued that point better.

9. Your character should never believe something if you ooc know it couldn't be true.

9a. Or you must set out to convince everyone OOCly that it's true.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #41 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:41 »

2. Everyone must RP the way you think they should, otherwise their RP is wrong and you should thus inform them.

3. An IGS thread must stay on topic for the first 3 posts, after that it's fair game for derailing.

4. If you aren't creative enough to think of a way to communicate with someone IC, their RP must be wrong and you should thus inform them.

5. If your enemy has an event, accuse them of grandstanding and looking for attention.

6. If your enemy tries to enjoy eve, accuse them of trying to be relevant.

7. You should never perform a heroic action when petty bickering will suffice.

8. Whenever it suits you, you have no actual political enemies, they are just pirates.

10. If all else fails, you didn't want that [//]insert anything here[//] anyways.

Failure to follow these simple rules will result in your character being biomassed by the RP gods.

I LOLed. :D
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #42 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:02 »

Mind if I repost (with citation) elsewhere? That's awesome.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #43 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:05 »

Go for it.

I like Vieve's amendments. I'll include them in all future editions  :D

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #44 on: 02 Jun 2010, 23:29 »

Right, a little de-rail perhaps. Or at least slightly derail while staying on-topic.

Division of IC/OoC, Channel RP and Actions in Space.

So quite recently (not half an hour ago) I came to an IC conclusion that someone had to die as a consequence for IC actions in channel RP. Now, I can't be arsed to spend too much time hunting down people in space, nor do I really have the SP for it on the characters in question. Well, one of them, perhaps, but not both. So both IC and OoC, the conclusion was that this needed a different approach.

However, I do have ISK. Solution: My characters hire Mercs to gank two pilots. All IC motivated, and IC executed through game-mechanics and searching for Mercs. Well, that was the plan, anyway. I decided to be a little OoC merciful, and I let them know that this would probably happen. I did not expect the shit-storm in that channel.

Apparently it's 'taking it too far' when you take RP done in RP Channels and move them into space without consent from the players in question. If they OoC don't want to lose a ship (I can't think of anyone who does, but hey... ) it's very wrong to either shoot them yourself, or send others to do it for you.

I was told that 'Staying IC in both space and in RP channels is just fine and dandy... unless you force others to take IC consequences in space'. Paraphrased, but there it is. It was also said by one of the pilots that 'Fine, RP in Eve isn't for me, if it means I can't play the game the way I want', which entailed not having to deal with risk in space.

To which I replied 'Derena Del'thul > Grow a thicker fucking skin. It's Eve Online. You risk ships every time you undock. If you can't take it, quit the damn game.'

Sure, I got a bit pissed, but is it really that evil of me to use the game-mechanics, play the game, and stay IC both in-space and in RP channels? Why should I be limiting my RP, which I extend both to space and RP channels, because people want to avoid in-space consequences of In Character actions and words?

I want your opinions on this stuff, guys. Does 'IC' only exist in RP channels? Does 'IC in space' somehow godmode others? If someone wants to separate the game from the RP, should they be the ones making that decision even if it means limiting those who do immerse themselves in the game, IC?

And before a mod takes this as 'urdoinitrong', I'm not saying they're doing it wrong. I'm just asking whether or not I'm doing it wrong if I take my RP in both space and channels.

EDIT: Because Eric Kirby demanded it:

[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 08:45 by Mizhara »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5