Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What is Roleplaying.  (Read 13445 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: What is Roleplaying.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:26 »

"Lol, liek i totally pwnzd my nub brother wile racing cars down the hood last night LOL he was liek eating my rubber and burning my dust LOL So wut u been doing this weekend?"

"Watching teh news. Icland is blowing up LOL!!!!"

"Yeh, CCP iz fucked OLOL"

vs

"Ergh. Spent the weekend trying to chase down some wartargets, while I kept being pestered by my family. Had to show my brother that he's still inferior to me when it comes to racing. How about you?"

"Eh, relaxing. Watching the news about (insert in-game news here)."

"Yeah, (insert alliance here) are screwed. Heh."

Simply put: They're not roleplayers. They're themselves, playing a game. They're not IC, they're not being a character, they're not roleplayers by ANY definition of the word. You can sugarcoat it however the hell you want, but they're not playing a role. They're playing a game. There's a major difference there.

I'm a bit of an elitist jerk when it comes to roleplaying, but there's some self-evident truths that just can't be avoided. The character you play isn't you. It's a role, which you 'act'. You create a separate personality and character (sure, base it on yourself if you want to be boring, but it's still a separate personality and character) with which you interact with a universe and other characters that's also separate from the real world.

That guy who faffs about playing a game won't think twice talking about the latest sports event somewhere in real life. He'll spend an hour bragging about the cheerleader he got on her back last night. The next week, he'll complain about the chlamydia he got. All separate from the in-game universe. That's not roleplaying. It's being himself, playing a game.

It's all valid. Eve Online is a game, and people play it as such. But please, PLEASE stop trying to justify horrible roleplaying by saying "Oh, everything in this game is roleplaying, kinda.". It's simply not true. It's playing a game, or playing a role while playing the game. Those two have similarities and overlap, but they're still extremely distinct and separate things.

/thread

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:29 »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:31 »

Aww...

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2010, 14:52 »

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2010, 18:56 »

I think what's more relevant to all this is our interpretation of players who aren't consciously acting. Alliances and mission runners may not give a damn about roleplay, but their actions are no less relevant to the world you decide to immerse yourself in.
People ask me where I'm from and ill say "Pellile". Then they ask if that's in France and I reply its not far. My immersion level is personal it doesn't rely on anyone else to play a part to interact.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2010, 19:01 »

I think what's more relevant to all this is our interpretation of players who aren't consciously acting. Alliances and mission runners may not give a damn about roleplay, but their actions are no less relevant to the world you decide to immerse yourself in.
People ask me where I'm from and ill say "Pellile". Then they ask if that's in France and I reply its not far. My immersion level is personal it doesn't rely on anyone else to play a part to interact.
Well-put, Kaleigh. 

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2010, 08:17 »

Everyone plays a role when they decide to play a video game.  Some just take it moar srsly than otherz.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2010, 09:05 »

Alternatively, given that most people don't immerse themselves in the game universe, and most of those who claim to do at some point or other feel forced to over-rationalize or even ignore game mechanics and the dialogue or even actions of the "non-roleplayers" for the sake of immersion, it can be argued that nobody roleplays in EVE.

All that's achieved by extending the label of "roleplayer" to everyone is that the word becomes useless. Then we have to find new words to describe the kind of players who fit into the implicit operational definition we still retain of the now-defunct term, such as "immersioneer". Then it can in turn be argued that everybody who plays the game immerses themselves in it to some degree (or else there'd be no reason to keep playing).

And so on and so forth, ad nauseatum, until the fog of essentialism lies so thick that there are no words left to describe "people like us". And when we finally come to the conclusion that there's no such things as "people like us" (or "people unlike us", depending), the people who are supposedly not so unlike us after all will still be sitting around making fun of "roleplayers".

/sip.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2010, 09:10 »

You can call just about any straightforward playing of the game roleplaying in a fundamental sense, if you wish.  However, that is almost outright avoiding the point.  Those people who appear in commercials are actors, but I can't say I really relate well with many of the things they are portrayed doing.  The conversations and actions that take place are so heavily dependent on a framework of trying to sell something, that it can't be taken seriously beyond a certain point.  Contrast that with a deeply moving and gritty drama filled with some of the bitter realities of life we don't trot out in everyday conversation, but certainly resonates in us.

I tend to view the actions of those who aren't deliberately considering narrative or character motives as entities apart from themselves as more background or setting, not entirely divorced from the RP from my perspective, but not primary material either.  Its as real as instability in the Middle East and fluctuations in world currency markets and just as distant in comparison to our constant need to secure our own needs and maintain the friendships and associations we have.  Obviously the capsuleer has a bit more socio-economic mobility and potential political influence than most of us, but the orientation of your own personal "inner circle" being more central to you than the rises and falls of what comes to seem after a while like generic entities out on the periphery of your experience.

So then what you are saying is that you decide on whether or not someone else is roleplaying based on your ability to suspend disbelief according to their actions?

Simply put: They're not roleplayers

...this does not mean they're not roleplaying.

They're not IC, they're not being a character, they're not roleplayers by ANY definition of the word. You can sugarcoat it however the hell you want, but they're not playing a role. They're playing a game. There's a major difference there.

Given that the core of the game is that it's a role-playing game I would suggest your "major difference" is first and foremost not anywhere near as "major" as you imply, and secondly purely semantics based on personal preference and of course, in your words:

I'm a bit of an elitist jerk when it comes to roleplaying

XD

there's some self-evident truths that just can't be avoided

I think the FAQ even has something in it about "self-evident" and "obvious" things, but to paraphrase: Things you think of as "self-evident" aren't.

The character you play isn't you. It's a role, which you 'act'. You create a separate personality and character (sure, base it on yourself if you want to be boring, but it's still a separate personality and character) with which you interact with a universe and other characters that's also separate from the real world.

Except the role can be you. You may consider it boring, which is fine and dandy, but there is nothing wrong with playing a role of yourself. This happens all the time. Was John Malkovich not acting in Being John Malkovich simply because he played himself?

That guy who faffs about playing a game won't think twice talking about the latest sports event somewhere in real life. He'll spend an hour bragging about the cheerleader he got on her back last night. The next week, he'll complain about the chlamydia he got. All separate from the in-game universe. That's not roleplaying. It's being himself, playing a game

I fail to see the problem with any of those things being taken as IC when they say them, in which case again -- still seems a pretty well-played role.

But please, PLEASE stop trying to justify horrible roleplaying by saying "Oh, everything in this game is roleplaying, kinda.". It's simply not true. It's playing a game, or playing a role while playing the game. Those two have similarities and overlap, but they're still extremely distinct and separate things.

I disagree on the basis that this is a semantic argument.

Furthermore I find it absolutely fascinating that you attempted in the initial post with your examples to discredit the opposing viewpoint by typing everything with improper grammar and spelling for the opposing view and perfect grammar and spelling for the view you were trying to present. There is a direct fallacy involved in that, as there are numerous roleplayers (including some that are considered focal points) that can't spell or type to save their own asses and there are absolute multitudes of those that would not call themselves roleplayers whose vocabulary, grammar, and spelling would put everyone and anyone on this forum to shame.

Bad form.

...someone understands the point of this little thought experiment, methinks.

Alternatively, given that most people don't immerse themselves in the game universe, and most of those who claim to do at some point or other feel forced to over-rationalize or even ignore game mechanics and the dialogue or even actions of the "non-roleplayers" for the sake of immersion, it can be argued that nobody roleplays in EVE.

All that's achieved by extending the label of "roleplayer" to everyone is that the word becomes useless.

I was with you right up to this point. Then you said this:

Then we have to find new words to describe the kind of players who fit into the implicit operational definition we still retain of the now-defunct term, such as "immersioneer".

...why do we "have to"?

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #24 on: 26 Apr 2010, 09:50 »

I avoided this thread all weekend. It set off my "spidey senses" as one of those threads that would not resolve anything and would essentially be two sides stating, restating, counterstating, etc.  :bash:

I finally gave in and read it out of morbid curiosity. I was right in my first assumption.

Last I checked, games like Eve and WOW were called MMORPGs. Everyone, let's say it together: massively multiplayer online role-playing game. To play the game, you have to create an avatar. The avatar is not you. Therefore, whenever you log in to PLAY the game, you assume the ROLE of someone who is not you. If you play Eve, you are a roleplayer, end of story.

However, saying the people talking about football and Internet pron in local while meticulously planning how to exploit real-world time zones and game mechanics in their corp chat are "better" role players because they are more consistent in their actions than an immersionist who also talks OOC in some channels is questionable in my mind.

While both the immersionist and the LOLrpg player are participating in the same game, they are doing it in very different ways. One is not necessarily better than the other.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:14 »

The "RP" in "RPG" means different things to different people, and I suggest it may not necessarily mean what those of us with varying versions of the "roleplay" playstyle want it to mean. See this article examining the RPG-ness of Mass Effect for what I mean.

While both the immersionist and the LOLrpg player are participating in the same game, they are doing it in very different ways. One is not necessarily better than the other.

This. I'm not sure counting the number of angels that can roleplay on the bottom of a Rupture does much to enhance the actual enjoyment of the game.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:16 »

...why do we "have to"?

Because neutralizing the term will not neutralize the subculture. It will in no way change the fact that the "people formerly known as roleplayers" perceive themselves as playing the game differently than the rest of the players. There will still be a divide between those who portray their characters as having their own distinct histories, personalities and motivations, and those who make no such pretense. This divide will continue to be acknowledged by both sides. And a nameless subculture will not remain nameless for long.

Comparatively, it is possible via similar essentialist word games to argue that nobody, or alternatively everybody, is poor. While clever word games like that may give the illusion of eliminating poverty as a phenomenon (and by extension, problem), it won't feed anyone, nor do anything to dispel friction between the haves and the have-nots.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:50 »

Eh, personally, classifying a 'subculture' tends to lead to elitism and exclusive behavior, when roleplay should be about inclusion and fun. Personally, I've found the attitude of 'oh he's not roleplaying, but that guy is' extremely unproductive and overly judgemental.

Nauplius

• Clonejack
« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:59 »

It is fine to say that roleplayers need to do a better job of engaging the broader game.

But that's an argument that stands on its own; it shouldn't be made obliquely by nerfing a perfectly useful word into uselessness by extending it to every person who logs in.

And it is a useful word — consider what corporation recruitment would be like, for example, if corporations could not refer to themselves as "RP corps" or players announce that they are looking for one.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:10 »

Role-players in tabletop games were easy to identify:

- They addressed each other's characters rather addressing the others players, usually immediately obvious through use of character name instead of player name when saying or suggesting something.

- They acted out their conversations rather then describing what their character would say.

Non role-players would shy away from taking the role of the character by speaking in their voice. They preferred to inform the DM indirectly. My characters explains X to the King etc. There used to be quite a large barrier/threshold for such players to talk directly as the character. That is what for me was the definition between a RP-er and a gamer. Gamers could play along in a tabletop game for years, but remained uncomfortable when addressed as a character, rather than as a gamer that is playing a certain type of character.

In EVE, we have no easy distinctions. Everyone addresses one another by their character names, even when OOC. Everyone acts out their conversations (and even actions). It is more difficult to notice who just wants to play the game, and who actually wants and dares to inhabit their characters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5