Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [Character] Malcolm Khross  (Read 12531 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: [Character] Malcolm Khross
« Reply #30 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:52 »

Sadface too.

You can always pay for the game with ISK/PLEX, I have been doing it for 4 years.

I heard he already has problems to make enough isk for a living...

Desiderya

« Reply #31 on: 22 Sep 2011, 11:11 »

It's difficult with a new char. But, well, it could be a goal. Investing heavily into PI ( on all three chars ) might be a way to bolster income for a Plex.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:54 »

Yes, PI is a very solid solution for that Malcolm. With 2 chars I was able to pay for almost 2 PLEX per month. Now it has probably changed (I should really relaunch all my PI...), but I am pretty affirmative that it is still widely enough for one PLEX per month. It is about a little more than 1 month of skilling for 2 characters on the same account (2-3 weeks roughly to have all the skills at 4). Maybe you still lose one month that you will have to pay yourself (unless you farm like crazy, and hell, I can invite you in my L4s missions if you want, comon), but after this you are done. Ofc, it would imply that your main does not skill at the same time, but well.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:45 »

I will miss you terribly, and hope you can at least find the time to pop into vent or the forums and say hello, but I understand how RL can place demands on us which simply must take precedence.

Whatever you do, thrilled to have gotten the chance to know you two. EVE RP will be a bit less colorful now.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #34 on: 03 Jul 2012, 06:58 »

Alright, so reading a lot into what people expect from the Caldari, I'm under the impression that I've apparently been playing my character "un-Caldari" like.

Based on some criticism from Casiella and a lot of what's been said in Katrina's 'difficulty with roleplaying Katrina' thread, I'm getting the feeling that a lot of what Malcolm does makes no logical sense for a Caldari. The fact that he blurs corporate lines when it comes to Caldari/non-Caldari relationships and tries to present a more unified "State" front to the public seemed to be in-line with how things work according to the PF but apparently I'm misunderstanding that?

Combined with the fact that Malcolm does a significant amount of debating and arguing with others and defending the Caldari way of life, culture and government from external slander and arguments is apparently also something that seems counter to how most people perceive the Caldari behaving. I'm a bit concerned that the things Malcolm does regularly seem to be "un-Caldari" like and that when people "jest" about Malcolm being too Liberal or too Gallente, they're not actually jesting - they're just not being overtly honest about how they intended it.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jul 2012, 07:05 »

Play the character you enjoy. Caldari don't need to be cookie cutter. Once in a while one has to exist that gives a damn what other people think.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #36 on: 03 Jul 2012, 07:54 »

Malcolm is being played just fine as is, but since I suspect you'll not totally listen to this first line, I'll address your points in more detail.

First, the State does present a unified face to outsiders. You're doin it rite. The reason Katrina for example seems so separated is because Ishukone under the current status quo is the black sheep. They're not welcome in most places unlike Wiyrkomi, so it makes sense that they would be looking out for their own interests and seeing themselves as a bit more independent. Those working for the Patriot bloc likely never experience the social blocks put in place against Ishukone by Heth because they simply don't encounter them. I would wager Mal has no idea how hard it's getting for Ishukone unless he's specifically reading about it.

The State is supposed to be one unified voice, but only those who are being ostracized would start to act differently. Kat would be just like Malcolm in this respect if she wasn't Ishukone - if she didn't have to walk on eggshells to avoid drawing the attention of the CPD. Remember, Kat lives with her female fiance on New Caldari V. The Provists could storm her house and drag her away at any moment if she makes waves. This is why she's suspicious of everyone not Ishukone.

As for the debate thing, as I posted in another thread, that was an IC reason to avoid getting caught doing something I'm not particularly good at. To me it makes sense, but this doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. Malcolm could be very interested in something he considers worth his time like debating and debunking stereotypes and bad rumors about the State. That's what it's about there - perception of worth. Kat doesn't see fencing words to be worth her time, but Malcolm does. If you enjoy it, who am I or anyone else to say that's wrong?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 03 Jul 2012, 08:13 »

What Victoria said. And also, Malcolm seems in most cases very Caldari to me. The only thing where he might be a little different is when he speaks to foreigners about ethics, where Caldari are very reluctant to speak about someone else's business. So what ? We all have to be clone copies of the general factionnal archetypes ?

Also, I might disagree a little to some extant with you Katrina. The State is probably one of the few factions that does present a unified face the less to outsiders. It presents an unified face in the sense that they all call themselves Caldari. It presents an unified face in a territorial sense. But when it comes to dealings and foreign affairs, its between megas and another party. Ishukone with the Kingdom, Ishukone with the Elders, i don't remember which corp with Tash Murkon during the crysis, etc etc.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #38 on: 03 Jul 2012, 08:53 »

Malcolm is being played just fine as is, but since I suspect you'll not totally listen to this first line, I'll address your points in more detail.

It is scary that you know me so well.

Anyway, thanks for the points and I'm glad to see I wasn't totally off base with how I've been playing then. I suppose I just let a lot of criticism build up (whether it was meant playfully or seriously) and allowed it to compromise my understanding. I'll keep going as I'm going then.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #39 on: 03 Jul 2012, 08:58 »

Now that I've had some coffee and eggs[1], I'll say this: asking about one really minor point shouldn't be taken as "urdoinitrong" overall. I still think it's odd for a Wiyrkomi employee to ask about the name and ID number of a KK employee whose performance isn't up to snuff. But that doesn't mean that "Captain Mal" is a bad character.

The only larger advice I'd give you is to play what's fun for you, because I see frequent reactions from you that all seem to revolve around "well if I suck so bad then I should just stop". Nah, dude, it's just a game. We should all relax.

[1]: I have a personal rule of not posting and no "serious" tweeting until I've had breakfast and coffee. That always ends in tears.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #40 on: 03 Jul 2012, 09:29 »

Now that I've had some coffee and eggs[1], I'll say this: asking about one really minor point shouldn't be taken as "urdoinitrong" overall. I still think it's odd for a Wiyrkomi employee to ask about the name and ID number of a KK employee whose performance isn't up to snuff. But that doesn't mean that "Captain Mal" is a bad character.

My presentation was apparently not sound. I didn't believe you were trying to play the 'urdoinitrong' card, more that I felt I should actually evaluate my  RP and make sure I wasn't sidestepping the believability line. It wasn't meant as a negative thing coming from you, more of a contributing factor to my query of self reflection.

I've had a particularly negative attitude towards myself the past week because of a number of factors (which I won't go into detail about). I'm in a much better place emotionally and mentally. Thanks for the concern. :)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #41 on: 03 Jul 2012, 11:05 »

Well tbh Mal isn't "Caldari".  He's of mixed heritage and unconventional origin for a Patriot and warrior of the State.  At least that's the initial reaction you get.  Perhaps it's a more equitable and refined observation to say that Mal just isn't archetypal. In a society where we expect strong Civire leaders to be ruthless and steely (the imagery of the State is fairly Spartan), Mal has the ability to be considerate and open.  He is an Athenian in Lacedaemon, but is no less Greek for it.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #42 on: 03 Jul 2012, 12:12 »

Funnily enough, I tend to see Khross as a model of what Caldari as supposed to be like. Possibly because he's one of the view Caldari capusleers who directly aligns himself with one of the Caldari megacorps. I tend to think of Caldari and Gallente capsuleers as serving their own interests first and formost, Matari tending to do things for their tribe or the cause of freedom from Amarrian enslavement, and Amarrian/Khanid as serving God and the Empire.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #43 on: 03 Jul 2012, 17:35 »

Alright, so reading a lot into what people expect from the Caldari, I'm under the impression that I've apparently been playing my character "un-Caldari" like.

According to whom? Malcolm is perhaps one of the most Caldari-like Caldari toons I know of.

Also, regarding the 'defending my way of life from slander' - again, welcome to my RP life. Expect to be doing plenty of this. When your the type of character/person that 'cares' about faction reputation and refuting obviously and not-to-obviously false info/slander/smack you will be doing it allot. My only advice is to hammer down for yourself how things are, and remain consistent. You don't have to ensure that your 100% correct (Impossible as not even CCP has entirely defined how factions behave) in your lore or know-what's-what but stick to your story when you have made it.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #44 on: 03 Jul 2012, 17:44 »

According to whom? Malcolm is perhaps one of the most Caldari-like Caldari toons I know of.

Also, regarding the 'defending my way of life from slander' - again, welcome to my RP life. Expect to be doing plenty of this. When your the type of character/person that 'cares' about faction reputation and refuting obviously and not-to-obviously false info/slander/smack you will be doing it allot. My only advice is to hammer down for yourself how things are, and remain consistent. You don't have to ensure that your 100% correct (Impossible as not even CCP has entirely defined how factions behave) in your lore or know-what's-what but stick to your story when you have made it.

Unless you have a change of personality. Like meeeeeee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6