Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [Character] Malcolm Khross  (Read 12530 times)

Malcolm Khross

[Character] Malcolm Khross
« on: 22 Aug 2011, 13:39 »

Birthname: David Malcolm Khross
Callsign: Mal, Captain Mal, Captain Khross
Race: Civire
Upbringing: Freelance mercenary family and corporation
Identifying Traits: Tattoos covering the length of both arms from the back of the hand to the shoulder, twin line tattoo on the left cheek.

Biography:

David Malcolm Khross was born in space aboard a privately owned Flycatcher-class Interdictor. He was further raised in space by his birth parents and their small group of independent mercenaries, quickly adapting to the ways of privateering and combat, both martial and astral.

Malcolm's quick adaptation to the lifestyle served him well in the years to come, he quickly became a reliable addition to the mercenary corp and his unorthodox strategies and thinking often helped lend an advantage in difficult situations. As was the custom of his corp, Malcolm received arm-length tattoos on his left arm, identifying him to his corp mates and two seemingly straight lines on his left cheek. The tattoo on his left cheek is actually a very condensed barcode that could be scanned by the mercenary group he belonged to in order to verify his identity and establish his clearance in their systems and checkpoints.

When Malcolm was eighteen years of age, a grievous tactical error from the captain in charge of their detachment resulted in the death of most of the crew of the vessel and the capturing of Malcolm, his parents and a few of their comrades. While in transit to a Federation prison for their crimes against the Federation and its citizens, the transport ship was attacked, disabled and boarded by Provists from the State.

While it wasn't the State's intention for this to be a rescue operation, the Caldari prisoners were released and taken to the State, where they were either impressed into service for the State (mostly as combatants) or held to account for their criminal actions within the State. Malcolm's parents chose to serve the State while Malcolm himself was found compatible with capsule technology.

When he was offered the chance to become a capsuleer under the banner of the State, Malcolm accepted gladly. (It was far better than facing forced service in the military or the penalty for his crimes.) However, what the State saw as an opportunity to breed discipline, dedication and prowess, Malcolm saw as a chance for unrivaled freedom.

After graduating from the State War Academy with top marks and honors, Malcolm has joined the stars as one of the elite, the capsuleers. His loyalty to the State extends to the point that it is his home. "If you piss in my lawn, I'll shoot you for fertilizer." His greater aspirations remain to be seen, however.

The few that have met him so far have indicated that he's something of a visionary, often looking for the brighter angle of situations and speaks often of the freedom of the stars.

Malcolm Khross

Re: [Character] Malcolm Khross
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2011, 13:40 »

Sort of pieced this bio together from a series of random thoughts, I'm open to criticism, advice, refinements.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2011, 17:29 »

He buys me beer and Cheddar Zippies.

Win?

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2011, 14:57 »

Nice background,  I especially like the part about the body tats.   Hamish's unit did the exact same thing and he sometimes has them redone after a podding.

BTW; Interdictors like the Flycatcher are only a few years old.   Even the base hull, the Cormorant is a pretty new design.  The technology behind t2 ships and mods (morphite) was discovered in 2004/5.   
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2011, 15:08 by Hamish Grayson »

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2011, 20:08 »

Nice background,  I especially like the part about the body tats.   Hamish's unit did the exact same thing and he sometimes has them redone after a podding.

BTW; Interdictors like the Flycatcher are only a few years old.   Even the base hull, the Cormorant is a pretty new design.  The technology behind t2 ships and mods (morphite) was discovered in 2004/5.

Oh, nice clarification...guess I better adjust that part.  :bash:

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2011, 20:12 »

So, since I make it my goal to make my characters enjoyable to interact with, I try not to give them quirks or ticks that are overtly annoying to deal with.

It would appear Mal's use of "pirate speech" may be a bit much for some people, and if that's the case then I apologize and I'll revise his speech patterns to something a bit more tolerable.

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2011, 20:20 »

Pirate speech is the best. Used to RP with a woman in another MMO who had the most bizarre accent applied to her character. Half the fun of roleplaying with her was trying to distinguish what she was saying, both ICly and OOCly.

I like the character's backstory, and you should keep the pirate speech imo.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2011, 17:23 »

Mal is an interesting character to read the thoughts of.

His writing comes over as equal parts Jack Sparrow (mainly using the words savvy & love all the time) and Malcolm Reynolds.

I take it this is deliberate?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2011, 20:14 »

Mal is an interesting character to read the thoughts of.

His writing comes over as equal parts Jack Sparrow (mainly using the words savvy & love all the time) and Malcolm Reynolds.

I take it this is deliberate?

Actually yes...those are the two characters he's primarily a mix of. I'm somewhat flattered now. Hope you guys are enjoying him, as that's what RP is really all about. :)

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2011, 12:39 »

Okay, so I'm trying something a little unusual for me and essentially writing up a section of player fiction to explain Mal's origins and behavior. I'll be keeping a blog on Mal's activities written in the third person (so you don't have to try and translate the entire story) as if it were a novel.

The blog can be found here and I'd be more than open to suggestions, criticisms, questions and comments regarding it. The first page is basically a prologue designed to give a little bit of information about the people Malcolm relates to, where he comes from and where he's possibly headed in the future.

Hope it's enjoyable!

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2011, 07:08 »

How old is he?

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2011, 11:51 »

Originally I planned him to be around 26, but I'm thinking I might go slightly older.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2011, 21:07 »

dat jacket.

Although I was amused when I realized this character normally speaks in pirate speak, but was using plain speak against Ghost.

There would of been a particular sense of irony with that.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #13 on: 09 Sep 2011, 08:59 »

Actually, Mal has sort of migrated away from "pirate speak" because it was increasingly difficult for me, as a player to keep it up.
RP has sort of led him in a direction where he's reforming himself and trying to become a more upstanding individual, so he's been practicing his Napanii.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 09 Sep 2011, 10:26 »

It would appear Mal's use of "pirate speech" may be a bit much for some people, and if that's the case then I apologize and I'll revise his speech patterns to something a bit more tolerable.

Actually, Mal has sort of migrated away from "pirate speak" because it was increasingly difficult for me, as a player to keep it up.
RP has sort of led him in a direction where he's reforming himself and trying to become a more upstanding individual, so he's been practicing his Napanii.

Nooo!
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 10:27 by Mitara Newelle »
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6