Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dust 514 gameplay  (Read 6428 times)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
Dust 514 gameplay
« on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:42 »

Sorry, couldn't find a Dust thread on game play stuff anywhere, so starting this one.  Seems Gamescom had some details come out finally about Dust 514.  There is a collection thread here.

For those who don't want to read, the TL;DR.

Battleships and above will be able to equip special modules to fire on planets and kill dusters, but only if friendly dusters give you a target.  One, this sounds very boring for the battleship (unless someone is shooting at you), and two, I think Dreadnaughts just got a new lease of life.  They also said that they are working out the details on how to make it not an instant kill for the enemy dusters (like we care?).

Dusters will have social areas where they can meet and teabag each other, or whatever PS3 FPS players do.  This might eventually lead to dusters teabaging capsuleers.  CONCORD protests to follow.

There were a number of new pics on the linked thread in high def (second post down int eh linked thread has the links), but I really liked this one.  Slight impractical, but that's Amarr for you.  It is interesting to note that there is Engilsh on the pistol (look right above the trigger, says Lock I think).  Also, apparently The Gallente like sports cars so much, they have to bring them onto the battlefield.  Their tanks is a bit better though.

Anyway, in case anyone was wondering.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: Dust 514 gameplay
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:45 »

I'll admit that the sports car looks like it could be fun to drive.

If there was a pop on hard top for cold weather driving, I'd want one IRL!

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2011, 13:25 »

So, are certain individuals going to stop complaining about the lack of visual differentiation between the factions now?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2011, 17:21 »

Y'know... I hope CCP really gets creative with weapon designs in this game.

I want to see Amarr paladins hosing down the opfor with wide-beam radiation weapons and capturing live enemies with enslavement weapons. I want Minmatar Valklears to be able to dig pits, and fill them with shit-smeared punji stakes, or craft improvised explosives from battlefield wreckage on the fly. I want Gallente man-launched micro-UAVs providing intell and raining micro-munitions from the skies, and debilitating nanites roaming the field of battle like swarms of flesh-eating hornets. I want the Caldari unleashing clouds of crowd-suppressant gases and plowing into enemy infantry with modified police/riot vehicles, as befitting an oppressive nation.

If ground weapons in Dust are limited to tiny knockoffs of the five-odd weapon systems we have in Eve, it'll be pretty fucking boring.

Hey, let's brainstorm - maybe someone at CCP will read. Let's come up with some twisted weapons.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2011, 19:49 »

That gun looks so badass. The car is totally awesome and I am tempted to try to build one for the impending zombie apocalypse. Im not crazy about the tank. It reminds me of a Covenent version of the Scorpion MBT from Halo.

As for weapons I would like to see, since I'm probably gonna be Caldari I would love to see some type of shoulder mounted rocket launcher kinda like the ones we have on helicopters. Just push a button and flood a small area with explosive death.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2011, 19:53 »

I want to see Amarr paladins hosing down the opfor with wide-beam radiation weapons

Damn skippy.  (Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI6-JzxV-_M)

debilitating nanites roaming the field of battle like swarms of flesh-eating hornets.

Only good thing about the Keanu The Day The Earth Stood Still reboot, in my opinion.

Random ideas:

EMP snare bombs.
Personal cloaking/camo devices.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2011, 19:59 by Vieve »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2011, 21:47 »

I'm afraid the weapons and balance are most likely set in stone at this point.  :|

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2011, 22:00 »

I'm afraid the weapons and balance are most likely set in stone at this point.  :|

Probably but maybe later on down the road we can buy our ideas for RL money via PlayStaion points or whatever they're called.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2011, 22:18 »

Taking a quick look at the pics provided... in the last one, we see what appears to be a Caldari tank. Taking a quick look, we see what appears to be multiple missile tubes hidden behind one of the panels. This made me consider that, even if we don't see the variety of weapons Hell suggested, there could be some tactical variation in the races' weapons -

i.e., Caldari missile batteries would have an awesome volley firepower, but require significant reload time;

Amarr take the in-your-face extreme firepower role from the Gallente as atmospheric blooming renders particle blasters all but useless, but lasers useful at short ranges.

Gallente, meanwhile, serve mainly to spit drones everywhere, protecting your soldier and giving you considerable staying power even if those drones are shot down... albeit at a higher cost than just shooting with a gun.

Minmatar... leaning towards on-the-fly salvaging, both perhaps of damaged vehicles or emplacements (whee, mostly-free tank after a bit of work!) and just random bits of scrap around the battlefield (think the Engineer, if you've played TF2). Also possibly sheer highest sustained dakka of any side, at the cost of increased logistics requirements to get all that ammo shipped down to the planet?

I dunno... I feel like there should be some racial variation, but CCP seems very hesitent to gimp racial variations lately, especially for newer players to a game (has it been clarified if your starting race will give you a benefit towards any racial specialization?). To some degree I understand this - Dust does not seem to have been built with extending EVE's (in)famous learning curve as an objective (certainly, such a learning curve is harder to have with an FPS - although only because nobody's made one with such a curve yet) and I can understand why the would be hesitant to lock players into a playstyle they may have unknowingly chosen without understanding the pros and cons of...
But still. Want variation. Perhaps in whatever qualifies at Tech 2 for DUST?

Finally...
Battleships and above will be able to equip special modules to fire on planets and kill dusters, but only if friendly dusters give you a target.   ...   They also said that they are working out the details on how to make it not an instant kill for the enemy dusters (like we care?).

FFS... where's the grief potential in that?  :evil:
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2011, 05:13 »

Y'know... I hope CCP really gets creative with weapon designs in this game.

I want to see Amarr paladins hosing down the opfor with wide-beam radiation weapons and capturing live enemies with enslavement weapons. I want Minmatar Valklears to be able to dig pits, and fill them with shit-smeared punji stakes, or craft improvised explosives from battlefield wreckage on the fly. I want Gallente man-launched micro-UAVs providing intell and raining micro-munitions from the skies, and debilitating nanites roaming the field of battle like swarms of flesh-eating hornets. I want the Caldari unleashing clouds of crowd-suppressant gases and plowing into enemy infantry with modified police/riot vehicles, as befitting an oppressive nation.

If ground weapons in Dust are limited to tiny knockoffs of the five-odd weapon systems we have in Eve, it'll be pretty fucking boring.

Hey, let's brainstorm - maybe someone at CCP will read. Let's come up with some twisted weapons.

Do want.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2011, 07:40 »

In terms of design and aesthetic (not mechanics), as well as across fiction, it appears that the four factions are all rather standardized, and that there are fundamental aspects of New Eden that are universal across all.

From "Words words words" at EVE Fanfest 2011, TonyG said that "An AK-47 and Colt M4A1 are fundamentally the same weapon; if you want precision you take the M4, if you want to fund a revolution, you hand out the AK-47. That is basically the design we're going with for DUST".

Interestingly, he also said "the Gallente can make a laser weapon, but if you want a damn good one, you go to Viziam".

Oh, also, the DUST arms corps are...(and apparently subject to change)

Amarr - Carthum Conglomerate, Imperial Armaments, Viziam
Caldari - Kaalakiota, Lai Dai, Wiyrkomi (all Patriots hm?)
Gallente - Allotek Industries, CreoDron, Duvolle Labs
Minmatar - Boundless Creation, Core Complexion Inc., Freedom Extension (Courier company wtf? I'm sure CCP will explain that one)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2011, 07:56 »

Kaalakiota, Lai Dai, Wiyrkomi and Ishukone are the State weapons dealers, and Ishukone is more focused on spaceship guns.

Aslo;  Wheels and tracks seem pretty low tech for Eve, you could probably build those things for a few hundred units of trit each.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2011, 07:58 by Hamish Grayson »

Creedance Talor

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2011, 04:44 »

Taking a quick look at the pics provided... in the last one, we see what appears to be a Caldari tank. Taking a quick look, we see what appears to be multiple missile tubes hidden behind one of the panels. This made me consider that, even if we don't see the variety of weapons Hell suggested, there could be some tactical variation in the races' weapons -

i.e., Caldari missile batteries would have an awesome volley firepower, but require significant reload time;

Amarr take the in-your-face extreme firepower role from the Gallente as atmospheric blooming renders particle blasters all but useless, but lasers useful at short ranges.

Gallente, meanwhile, serve mainly to spit drones everywhere, protecting your soldier and giving you considerable staying power even if those drones are shot down... albeit at a higher cost than just shooting with a gun.

Minmatar... leaning towards on-the-fly salvaging, both perhaps of damaged vehicles or emplacements (whee, mostly-free tank after a bit of work!) and just random bits of scrap around the battlefield (think the Engineer, if you've played TF2). Also possibly sheer highest sustained dakka of any side, at the cost of increased logistics requirements to get all that ammo shipped down to the planet?

I dunno... I feel like there should be some racial variation, but CCP seems very hesitent to gimp racial variations lately, especially for newer players to a game (has it been clarified if your starting race will give you a benefit towards any racial specialization?). To some degree I understand this - Dust does not seem to have been built with extending EVE's (in)famous learning curve as an objective (certainly, such a learning curve is harder to have with an FPS - although only because nobody's made one with such a curve yet) and I can understand why the would be hesitant to lock players into a playstyle they may have unknowingly chosen without understanding the pros and cons of...
But still. Want variation. Perhaps in whatever qualifies at Tech 2 for DUST?

Finally...
Battleships and above will be able to equip special modules to fire on planets and kill dusters, but only if friendly dusters give you a target.   ...   They also said that they are working out the details on how to make it not an instant kill for the enemy dusters (like we care?).

FFS... where's the grief potential in that?  :evil:

I kind of have a tough time to see the caldari on that tank. Its the turquoise hue on the hull its got virtually no hard edges if you want to argue missile launchers you could just as well launch drones out of tubes. I just really can not see anything Caldari about that.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:21 »

I'm guessing Esna means in this picture and the tank in the lower  right corner http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/dachucky/DUST514_screenshot_06.jpg

The large tank image is a Gallente Tank concept work, aptly named 'Dust514 conecpt HAV Gallente'.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:18 »

Ah, yes - my apologies for not being clearer on that; I meant the one in the pic Vincent linked.

Something else in that picture also piqued my curiosity - the hedgehog-like anti-tank obstacles (at least I think that's what they are) in the bottom of the pic; several more can be seen in an apparently folded-up position.

Please, PLEASE tell me we'll be able to deploy these and they're not just eye candy?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2