Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Characterizing the militias  (Read 2848 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Characterizing the militias
« on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:49 »

This is NOT a discussion about the notion of militia being pirates because they shoot anything I suppose faction navy NPCs in missions/plexes are pirates too since they shoot anything that comes nearby

This is a discussion about the fluff and politics of each militia as a military organization in each of its empires.

Federal Defence Union
[spoiler]"The Federation is the standard, indeed the only example, of equality, justice, freedom and sanity in today's universe. While the rest of the Empires seek to expand in willful acts of destruction, the Federation seeks to protect its people and its borders from the deprivations of the Caldari who have shown unprovoked aggression against us. We attempted to be civilized, to talk, to travel the road of peace, but they refused.

The Federation has awoken to the threat, and now its strength shall be tried. We wanted peace, and now we are faced with war. We are the Federation. We shall not stumble, we shall not falter. We shall stand victorious on the field of battle, a testament to the values of liberty and justice.

The people of the Federation need you. With your strength and your conviction we shall endure."[/spoiler]

FDU criticizes President Roden relaxing restrictions on Ishukone trading in the Federation
FDU command accuses Combined Harvest of lax security policies

To me, it appears as if the FDU is typically Gallentean by being antiestablishment and being its own political entity with its own views and whatnot. It likely is aligned to the military complex and thus is loyal to the Navy and/or its own mandate and not the President or Senate. The propaganda piece certainly refers to the more timeless views of "defending our nation's liberties" as opposed to any specific event or current nationalistic sentiment.

Tribal Liberation Force
[spoiler]"Millions of souls cry out for emancipation, begging to be freed from a life where they are treated no better than captive animals. The Minmatar heart sings for freedom and the Minmatar soul strives for open skies, but the Minmatar heart withers away in captivity. It is now up to you, the capsuleer. You hold the power to free our people. You are the heroes of your generation.

It is finally time to make the Amarr pay for their atrocities. We will find those who called themselves "masters", and we will bring them to their knees!

Look to your heart, look to our people. Join us! Death to Amarr!"[/spoiler]

STPRO planning officer calls the TLF "one of Shakor's projects"

Unlike the FDU, it seems the TLF is aligned to Shakor and his desire for a throwback to tribal traditions and politics. After all, it has "tribal" in its name, and not "Republic". Being the extension of the Sanmatar sounds about right? An "official" freedom fighter organization otherwise.

State Protectorate
[spoiler]"The State had lost its way. The corporations forgot the principles upon which they were founded. The people suffered. The State suffered. We were an embarrassment. Our forefathers turned in their graves at the depths to which our leaders had allowed our State to fall.

No more. We are strong once again. We are Caldari once again. We are the State once again, and our homeland is ours at last.

We are at war.

The State calls out to you, the capsuleer, for we need your strength and your leadership to fend off the encroaching Gallente menace. They seek to bring us to heel. The State! The State bends for no one and no thing. The State stands strong, The State will not fall.

Join us. Fight. Win."[/spoiler]

Difficult one. The in-game corp desc for the STPRO says "conquer", and from the tone of the recruitment propaganda here, it's all very much with Tibus Heth's anti-Gallente sentiments. Would it be a stretch to declare that the STPRO is thus an extension of Tibus Heth and the Provists?

24th Imperial Crusade
[spoiler]"The Amarr Empire used to shine as a beacon to humanity of what it meant to be civilized: To be strong, and to lead by example. Through God's words we spread civilization throughout the stars and it is by our leadership that New Eden achieved its wings.

It is up to you to carry this example, the lessons of God's chosen, and reinstate the Empire of Amarr to its former and rightful glory . We need you to reclaim the Minmatar from the drudge, chaos and inhumanity in which they currently dwell, and into God's light. We are their angels. We must be their saviors.

By your power they shall be rescued from the dark. God wills it, and so it shall be."[/spoiler]

Ardishapur gives logistical to 24IC
Ammatar Fleet passes ground support to assist 24IC fleets

Very much in the "spirit of the Reclaiming". Since the Republic, State and Empire all appear as nations with a strong, single leader, again would it not be a stretch to say the 24th is loyal to Jamyl Sarum and her policies of calling for a new Reclaiming?

Like to hear your thoughts.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Characterizing the militias
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 13:33 »

I suppose faction navy NPCs in missions/plexes are pirates too since they shoot anything that comes nearby

They do not hinder capsuleer traffic/trade on gates

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:32 »

I suppose faction navy NPCs in missions/plexes are pirates too since they shoot anything that comes nearby

They do not hinder capsuleer traffic/trade on gates

Cripes guys, some of us don't have the eyes we used to.

Anyway, my two cents: It doesn't really matter what CCP says the militias are. The players in them set the tone with their actions.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:35 »

In which case 90% of any of them are mere opportunists.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2011, 18:19 »

Yes, but the stations and legions of baseliner personnel are not going to be, that was the point of this topic.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2011, 22:20 »

STPRO is almost certainly a Heth establishment. I don't see how it would be anything else, as it was created under his very eyes and likely with his blessing.

Same with 24thIC and TLF with regards to Sarum & Shakor. Karin Midula didn't start the TLF, and while there were probably crusades before the 24th, this one is launched by Jamyl herself.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:45 »

STPRO is almost certainly a Heth establishment. I don't see how it would be anything else, as it was created under his very eyes and likely with his blessing.

Same with 24thIC and TLF with regards to Sarum & Shakor. Karin Midula didn't start the TLF, and while there were probably crusades before the 24th, this one is launched by Jamyl herself.

And officialy recognized by Yonis Ardishapur as well, who could arguably be called Jamyls most potent political enemy.  8)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:43 »

And Black Rise (and the associated stations) was settled overnight.  :roll:

I view the STPRO as a cooperative, expansion oriented project/corporation by the Patriot corporations to expand & protect their interest in Black Rise (& beyond).  I think it existed before Heth was much more than a MTAC operator.  Was the STPRO co-opted for Heth's purposes?  To some extents.

But most people seem to prefer to have a single "executive" for each empire, who controls everything.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2011, 17:58 »

Okay, I retract my point. I didn't know those other facts about it.

Altarr Orkot

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2011, 18:04 »

I view the STPRO as a cooperative, expansion oriented project/corporation by the Patriot corporations to expand & protect their interest in Black Rise (& beyond).  I think it existed before Heth was much more than a MTAC operator.  Was the STPRO co-opted for Heth's purposes?  To some extents.

But most people seem to prefer to have a single "executive" for each empire, who controls everything.

But why would the megacorps bother forming a joint paramilitary organisation when they already have their own?  Development agreements would have happened between the corps through the expansion through Black Rise, but I fail to see why they would go through the trouble of forming the State Protectorate just for colonisation and development efforts.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2011, 19:17 »

But why would the megacorps bother forming a joint paramilitary organisation when they already have their own?  Development agreements would have happened between the corps through the expansion through Black Rise, but I fail to see why they would go through the trouble of forming the State Protectorate just for colonisation and development efforts.

Because us capsuleers are the only ones sanctioned to fight the war not the individual navies of each faction. I figure that would include the various corporate security forces as well. Yes they are visible in the plexes, but thats more to get people to work in teams to capture them offensively than anything else, at least IMO. STPRO is a corp in and of itself IIRC it wasnt directly formed by any of the megas. Supported sure but I dont think they formed it.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2011, 19:51 »

The below are my views, not prime fiction.

For a similar reason that the Caldari Navy exist.  The Private Military Corporations have a focus on providing security (defense) to/for corporate property through various methods and expertise.  Home Guard, LDPS, & Peace Corps lack a shared command structure and would not want to relinquish autonomy to on one of the other mega's to create the shared command structure.   

The Caldari Navy provides all of its contributing corporations (ie anyone who helps fund the CEP's projects) with an organization focused on the military needs of all and spreads the cost of unique or offensive systems (or systems not needed for security of the corporation's property) across those providing the funding.

The State Protectorate was originally the Patriot corporations solution to wanting something like the Caldari Navy (unique non-security/defense focused systems and tactics) for their secret (until EA) Black Rise colonies.  If they had wanted an extensive Caldari Navy presence in Black Rise, they would have to tell everyone else about Black Rise.

STPRO is a corp in and of itself IIRC it wasnt directly formed by any of the megas. Supported sure but I dont think they formed it.

Corporations (especially military organizations) do not come to exist from nothing, especially in the Caldari State.  Unlike every other corporation, we lack any shares information for the militias (even if outdated).  Everything in the State is funded by the megas.   ;)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2011, 20:44 »

The State Protectorate was originally the Patriot corporations solution to wanting something like the Caldari Navy (unique non-security/defense focused systems and tactics) for their secret (until EA) Black Rise colonies.  If they had wanted an extensive Caldari Navy presence in Black Rise, they would have to tell everyone else about Black Rise.

I stand corrected. I completely forgot about that.

Quote from: orange
Corporations (especially military organizations) do not come to exist from nothing, especially in the Caldari State.  Unlike every other corporation, we lack any shares information for the militias (even if outdated).  Everything in the State is funded by the megas.   ;)

Yeah that's true, but given the change in BR and the job of the STPRO I dont think they really answer to the megas anymore due to the capsuleer involvement. I could be wrong in that, but I think that while they may still be funded by the megas they are somewhat autonomous now.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2011, 20:55 »

Yeah that's true, but given the change in BR and the job of the STPRO I dont think they really answer to the megas anymore due to the capsuleer involvement. I could be wrong in that, but I think that while they may still be funded by the megas they are somewhat autonomous now.

I think it ebbs with how strong of a position Heth is in.  I think since he rose to power (especially within KK), he has been attempting to reduce the Home Guard's importance (marginalizing them) and shifting support & funding to the State Protectorate.   This would make for interesting internal conflict within KK between those true to traditional KK values (like Hamish Grayson) and those throwing their support fully behind the new regime (Provist).

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2011, 21:45 »

Well, these militias were created by CONCORD, no? Under the "Emergency Militia War Powers Act"...does it mean that the four empires had a dormant act signed all along that would create a capsuleer militia in the "emergency event" of war?
Pages: [1] 2