Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ISD - Mercury  (Read 2294 times)

Rova053

• Clonejack
ISD - Mercury
« on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:34 »

Worth investigating?

Just read up a bit....wanted to hear some thoughts.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: ISD - Mercury
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:50 »

My personal view:

Why volunteer to write on an unpaid basis for a corporation?

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:58 »

We pay for the rights to play the game, impact it and then spontaneously generate content that furthers the corporation's financial bottom line. Maybe some folks just want to work within the system and get a good resume bullet point?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:39 »

Volunteering as a fiction writer for a multimillion online gaming corporation...hmm...will have to word it in a way they take it seriously, by putting the profit generation first...

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:31 »

The idea of getting resume fodder, frankly, doesn't really work out in the world. See http://shouldiworkforfree.com.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2011, 13:05 »

The idea of getting resume fodder, frankly, doesn't really work out in the world. See http://shouldiworkforfree.com.

I tend to agree for the most part. That said, writing is a skill that can be improved by plenty of practice, good criticism, and by working within a set of constraints. If you enjoy writing, there's a lot to be said for volunteering in an environment that provides you with these things. As much as anything, having an outlet for writing is the most important thing. Writing for Eve is as good an outlet as any, and gives you a ready-made audience whether you simply self-publish on forums or a blog, or whether you go do stuff for CCP.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2011, 14:09 »

Sure, but there's a huge difference between, say, honing your writing via writing fiction on your blog, etc., and generating descriptions and whatnot to spec for CCP.

People who want to write can find lots of ways to improve themselves and have something to show for it without directly giving their work away to a corporation.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2011, 14:58 »

Want a job with CCP? Can't hurt to have it on your resume.

Rova053

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2011, 15:38 »

Don't really want a job with CCP...just want to find an outlet for my writing that might get noticed.

EVE's given me some great ideas....of course one of them working first might help my resume more.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2011, 16:01 »

Oh, Kaleigh makes an excellent point. For those players who do want to work for CCP, the ISD is a really good way to get started. I assume that's a relatively small subset of the player population, even among roleplayers, though.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2011, 21:15 »

Don't really want a job with CCP...just want to find an outlet for my writing that might get noticed.

Then you're probably better off writing about just about anything else.  EVE represents such a miniscule fraction of even just the gaming niche world that it hardly gets noticed.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2011, 21:34 »

Sorry, but a security clearance opens more doors than unpaid volunteer work. I'll pass. Don't get me wrong, I like writing RP when it strikes my fancy. Taking it on as a permanent job ... ? Not my thing.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:36 »

Because it's apparently super top secret, I'm probably not supposed to be saying this.

I thought I'd give Mercury a look until I got their application. The volume of material that they wanted to decide if I was worthy of giving them my creative products was off-putting, to say the least.

No thanks. As others have noted, there are other ways to produce Eve related material and get it to the masses.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:43 »

Mmm, deadlines and expectation of dates make me wary of participating in this, largely because my schedule varies and this is a casual hobby.

Galen.

• Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2011, 04:45 »

I think all your reasons not to apply for and possibly join Mercury are valid. It is unpaid, you can already write what you want and the only deadlines you have are your own.
However: Everything you write in Mercury is canon when it gets published. You get to work in a team with some of the brightest people in EVE RP. And you get to work closely with the CCP storyline team.

Even if i could i would not force anyone to join Mercury. It´s your decision. But i think even with the deadlines and everything it is worth it.
Pages: [1] 2