Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Zegerth Kelja is the eccentric Sansha Underseer of True Slave Foundations?

Author Topic: Red hair in Gallente culture  (Read 4260 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Red hair in Gallente culture
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 09:36 »

A notable lack of "fanonical" fiction items recently in this forum, so I figured I'd drop an idea of mine, mostly based from the default Gallentean model in the bloodline selection screen having red hair, as well as red hair perhaps being symbolic of the typical Gallentean woman described here. Enjoy

=====================================================================================================================

Jessyca Vediere as Anette I, Queen of Lechona in YC43's "Love's Lost"

Across the broad diversity of New Eden, red hair has accounted for a minute fraction of the entire human population. Individuals born with red hair occur most frequently amongst the Sebiestor and Luminaire VI ethnic groups, while instances elsewhere are sometimes viewed with ridicule, such as in Caldari. In many Federation cultures, however, red hair is regarded highly, viewed upon with adoration and desire in equal parts. It is seen as iconic of the ideal Gallentean woman, who are extremely confident models of self-empowerment. Thus, having red hair is symbolic of the typical lively spirit of a Gallentean, with a vast amount of poetic literature across Gallente Prime history glorifying these "fiery-headed souls".

The origins of red hair having cultural significance traces back to the monarchial era on the Gallentean homeworld. During the heydays of the many empires, kingdoms and republics that vied for control of Luminaire's vast seas and island chains, one notable figure arose from the kings and queens of the time. Her name was Anette I, Queen of Lechona, and many believe her to be the first woman in Luminaire history to break the patriarchal mould and establish herself as a major political and military figure. Though many typically attribute the emancipation of women to the socially and technologically progressive Rouvenor era, when the Garoun Empire was at full strength, several historians point to Anette I being the precursor to these movements. In her late teens, Anette led a citizen's rebellion against the oppressive Holy Republic of Heuvania in the capital of Lechona. Overthrowing a tyrannical Consul Donovend, she established a monarchy in her name, promising justice for all affected by the previous regime's repressive policies. However, the provinces of Heuvania refused to accept a woman as their new ruler, and seceded from the newly-established Queendom of Lechona, one of the first (and few) monarchies of the era to have a fully female line of succession. Under her leadership in this bloody civil war, Anette I led the Lechons in many battles to unite all of Heuvania once again under her peaceful reign.

Anette I, Queen of Lechona, thus became one of the many historical figures of inspiration found in classical Gallente Prime history. She is often a source of inspiration for the many feminist movements across the modern Federation, even if there is very little to protest nowadays. Most importantly, she has been depicted in artwork for centuries to having red hair, varying from a bronze pigmentation to a fiery orange. Though there has been some divergences from this tradition, the legacy was established, even if it has been mostly forgotten in the contemporary era. In both the Federation and in areas of other empires where there is a large demand for Gallentean products, cosmetic corporations have made countless billions selling a variety of hair dyes in thousands of different combinations, despite the unaugmented human eye not being able to distinguish between most shades. Supermodels and actresses who take a more "natural" approach to their hair's image (as opposed to colour-shifting or exotic palettes that is marginally more popular) are commonly found with some variation of red hair.

Political satirists have made many a joke about the red hair phenomenon across Gallentean cultural history by referring to Premier Margyrte Maultrau, a notoriously iron-fisted, visually repugnant and red-haired woman who was elected leader of the United States of Yrton, a right-wing nation that existed during Luminaire VI's Information Age. Women who have taken the extremely inexpensive route of dying their hair red have often been at the receiving end of sarcastic insults that likens them to what history called "Merdeful Margy". While most of these insults go right over these women's heads, it is not uncommon for a man to receive a well-deserved slap across the cheek, should his target be a little more historically aware than he initially estimated.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 09:54 by Seriphyn »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Red hair in Gallente culture
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 22:41 »

I am not so sure about the modern (biased) political inspiration for parts of the final paragraph, but otherwise I like the idea presented. 

Although it begs the question of what about men with red hair?

Altantsetseg Naranbaatar

• Eyeshadow and Oil Smudges
  • Clonejack
  • What? I always dress like this...
    • Alta's Closet
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2011, 23:28 »

Pfff, dyeing their hair red?  Who would go to all the trouble just to impress the Gallente...

...Oh, right...
Question withdrawn.

More seriously, overall, I like it.  It's fun to read about little details that would just get glossed over otherwise in such a big world as EVE!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2011, 23:43 »

I am not so sure about the modern (biased) political inspiration for parts of the final paragraph, but otherwise I like the idea presented. 

Although it begs the question of what about men with red hair?

Which begs the answer.

Also zomg Altan~~~ ♥♥♥!
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 23:47 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2011, 00:13 »

I endorse this product and/or service.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:45 »

As a friend of mine liked to put it rather crudely: "redhead best head".  :lol:

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:05 »

As a friend of mine liked to put it rather crudely: "redhead best head".  :lol:

That's just....so many levels of innuendo in those three words. So wrong.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2011, 23:33 »

Having hair red as fire also meant, in the ancient times of the gallente, that they'd be burned as witches at the stake.

That was before the gallente'stille was stormed of course...  :|