Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Wish fulfillment RP Version 2.0  (Read 12157 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Wish fulfillment RP Version 2.0
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:33 »

Even taking out the "behind closed doors" stuff... here, I'm referring mostly to your opinions as to the "dodginess" of ERP / cybersex when one or more of the players is married.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:38 »

Though it is a valid point, Casi.

Edit: To expound on that. It is a valid point to bring up, and it is a concern of many people, so there is no reason to not talk about it, as there may be individuals that this affects. I think he brought it up in a fairly tactful manner.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:40 »

Well Seriphyn, if its such a problem, why do you visit those venues or don't just tell them to take the proverbial room :) I know I would - and Laerise as well... although she'd be more vocal about it.   :lol:

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:49 »

I actually find it amusing the idea of wanting to see more straight couples publicly - because alot of the time - how would you know they were a straight couple, bi or otherwise if there wasn't a PDA.

My alt's boyfriend and her have gone into public and if you watched *real* careful you might of caught that he knows how she likes her coffee without asking and that when she enters a room she will sit by him.  Not in his lap, or leaning over him, just next to him.

That's also two Matari together  - but they don't count as "normal" to me due to the fact the guy is considerably older then her and when they first met he was a father figure to her.  Wasn't it Freudian theory that said little girls want to marry their daddy?

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:50 »

haha.  Laerise so would.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:52 »

haha.  Laerise so would.

Excuse me...?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 16:56 by Laerise [PIE] »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2010, 17:05 »

Relationships?! COOTIES!

I dunno, they're just things to spark more RP and enrich your character. But yes, they can get extremely complicated. I'm all for IC drama that's fun, but I've seen silly things happen OOC too and it makes me go T_T.

On that note, there *are* a lot of space lesbians. wtf.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2010, 17:12 »

On that note, there *are* a lot of space lesbians. wtf.

Lol, and I can't say this without getting modded  :D

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2010, 17:13 »

It's not that you said that, more the other extra stuff you added after that which resulted in said modding. :P

I'll add my 2 ISK in a bit after I've had some time to think about it.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:11 »

[mod]Topic split to: here in the Speakeasy [/mod]
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 20:16 by Ciarente »
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:18 »

Just the issue is what it means for the image of EVE RP overall.

I don't have problem with the image of Eve being that it's full of lesbians?
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:21 »

The image of EVE RP from folks outside the game (and many inside) is basically "you're... a ship?"

Sexual orientation, along with everything else, basically seems to fall by the wayside. Every RPer I know outside of EVE says exactly the same thing.

"So... we can't, like... leave the ship?"

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:00 »

The image of EVE RP from folks outside the game (and many inside) is basically "you're... a ship?"

Sexual orientation, along with everything else, basically seems to fall by the wayside. Every RPer I know outside of EVE says exactly the same thing.

"So... we can't, like... leave the ship?"

As for me, I consider in-character interactions on forums as well as in in-game channels as the "out of the ship" role play. On the ILF forum and on the Eluetharian Guard forums, I've participated in some interactive storytelling RP that was fantastic.

In the Catacombs version of this thread, someone mentioned Saxon's marriage as being "traditional." This is true and has been revealed in a number of places. However, Saxon's wife is not a capsuleer so you won't see her showing up in any public channels.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2010, 20:25 »

I can see Seriph's issue. While far be it from me to judge on whether you're FTB or not (Far, far, FAR... Let's leave it at that) the issue of relationships IRL is a valid issue to be discussed. There is a bunch of emotional commitment that goes into a relationship that can be broken for reasons which don't have anything (Or at least very little) to do with emotions. How many think that the Executive's feelings towards the secretary are more emotional than "I'm stressed and you've got just... A great pair of buttocks, let's get nasty"? Alright, now how many of you think that the executive's wife will accept that as an excuse when she walks into his office unnanounced to find him and Jennifer halfway through a bottle of marmalade and pipe cleaners scattered all over the desk?

Naturally there's a considerable difference between having a brain-bleach-reaching affair with your secretary and talking dirty with some guy or gal in sweden via a chatroom, but it can still be seen as a violation of whatever unwritten and ridiculously vague contract you two signed when you started going steady/moved in together/married. This is even true if the 'relationship' you're RPing out is entirely non-sexual or just FTB. In some cases in can be especially true, since your partner might decide that if there's no sex imperative then it's an entirely emotional thing (Whether this is true or not) and feel even more betrayed.

Or they could just shake their head and say 'I'm dating a nerd', maybe laugh at you a bit, then move on. Depends on their attitude and general understanding of how RPing relationships can work.

Ultimately my opinion would be that whatever's been cleared with your partner is just fine, but if you're keeping the 'relationship' a secret then it's a little dodgy. I personally don't engage in completely IC romances at all short of some comedic or plot-driven element (But in the latter case I prefer alts/NPCs) because it's not my gig, and don't engage in OOC or OOC/IC mix romances long distance because of logistics issues.

And on the space lesbians aspect: Simple answer is a combination of the following facts

1) It's not all that unusual for men to play women, especially when the only necessary effect on the RP is a pretty avatar on their bio page. Especially especially when the character introduction page notes that the only difference is how others treat you, and knowing that women are generally treated more nicely online than men.
2) These men will rarely be interested in imagining their female characters lusting over a male. If they choose to be in a relationship, it'll be with their actual preferred gender: Female.*
3) Along with the above, lesbians are hot. If it's only an FTB relationship/they're scarily good at getting in character, they'll be willing to overlook the fact that the person behind the avatar is male.
4) Females, by contract, seem to very rarely choose male characters unless they're trying to pass for men OOC. The contrast might be indicative of which is the superior gender, but who knows.
5) Females tend to be more emotionally based than sexually based when compared to men, so if they choose for their characters to be in a relationship it'll be based more based on personality than gender when compared to men.
6) Along with the above, since most 'girls' in eve are played by men it's easy for straight females to ignore the fact that the character theirs is draped over is female when the person behind that character is male. Assuming they have any issue with that in a purely IC relationship in the first place.

*Obviously doesn't apply to gay men. I'm not interested in rewording/making an entire section to deal with my lack of forethought right now, so use your imagination.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2010, 21:08 »

I can see Seriph's issue. While far be it from me to judge on whether you're FTB or not (Far, far, FAR... Let's leave it at that) the issue of relationships IRL is a valid issue to be discussed. There is a bunch of emotional commitment that goes into a relationship that can be broken for reasons which don't have anything (Or at least very little) to do with emotions.

To be clear: I do agree that the issue merits discussion. I don't agree that it merits discussion of the type where one says, "players who RP as X are immoral heathens," whether X = "cybersex" or X = "slavers" or X = "drug dealers".

Sure, even those other things raise interesting discussion points. I just believe that calling out other players is a non-starter. Perhaps Seri didn't intend to sound like that, and I've known him just well enough to know he occasionally doesn't quite mean what he actually says. At any rate, I do sort of get suspicious when any player says, "oh people who do X in a game are bad people". :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5