Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Player events - I'll show you mine if you show me yours  (Read 1687 times)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

As naughty as the subject might be.......the very concept that CCP Dropbear mentioned in the Eve Vegas PDF Casiella linked had instantly made a "boiling" effect in my ideas for what Player driven events might be.

In short, and from what i was able to conclude on the document content, the live events team more or less wishes to provide a "framework" or "starting point" and let the emergent behavior of Eve take over ongoing story arcs.

I just wanted to point out a few ideas that can be used in different fronts and enviroments.

1) The Federation starts a "joint" project with Capsuleers to build the first Stargate Connection that will bridge Solitude to the rest of the Federation through a pure high-sec route. Given the untapped resources in the remote region, both the local Government and capsuleers will benefit greatly from such an endeavour. (The same can be done with a Genesis-Kador connection).

2) Within the Matari-Amarr front contested zones, a huge natural disaster occurs. Relief efforts, construction materiales and displaced refugees must me moved (from either side). Militia pilots will be assigned specific assignments to hold/defend/supply/attack key locations depending on what is needed.

3) Terraforming project by the One of the Caldari megacorp is started on a remote planet, all sort of logistical support is needed.

4) The Serpentis establish a new facility right into the doorstep of the Federation, the objective is to stop (or help) this event.

5) A Major rogue drone invasion is discovered in the Ammatar mandate, the local holders ask for help.

6) Quafe is looking to create the the next flavor in soft drinks, samples of biological materials must be extracted from every planet in the cluster and delivered to their HQ.

7) Thukker Caravan needs assistance to cross X region. All loyalists hailed.

So the above are just simple ideas.....what would be yours?.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: Player events - I'll show you mine if you show me yours
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2011, 23:15 »

1) The Federation starts a "joint" project with Capsuleers to build the first Stargate Connection that will bridge Solitude to the rest of the Federation through a pure high-sec route. Given the untapped resources in the remote region, both the local Government and capsuleers will benefit greatly from such an endeavour. (The same can be done with a Genesis-Kador connection).

Hmmm, I remember this being discussed in the Athena, four years ago. As far as my interpretation of the economic situation goes, while it may be difficult for civilians to travel, it's not prohibitively so. The main difficulty is on the part of capsuleers, who use CONCORD-mandated stargates rather than non-military grade merchant gates and the like. These stargates do have camping issues, and capsuleers suffer for them. Thus, Federation would only stand to benefit the capsuleers, not the civilians.

Anyways, on the Federal note, perhaps another Federation election with broader participation from the capsuleer base? Bringing back the various Empire loyalist events? Caldari tournaments? Minmatar Tribal Assembly Trials? The list goes on, really.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2011, 11:58 »

Some of these ideas could be put together by players for players.  A capsuleer, Haadoken Summit has been discussed, but we lack known diversity to actually have it be interesting in my opinion.

CCP could in theory put together 8 NPC POC characters who are looking for teams to represent them in a capsuleer version, but this could be achieved largely by players probably.

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 06 Aug 2011, 15:21 »

Well, there was something similar to this in my Anarchy Online days. One of the factions, the Clans consisted of various different, well, clans with different ideologies and political goals. They all came together in the Council of Truth, which was basically organised and lead by players. The official side just filled in the various Clan leaders as actors, so there were always one or two of them present, to act as guidelines and so on.

It did work. Given EVEs bigger scope and possibilities for gameplay-supported player interaction there's no reason that something similar wouldn't work here. And I think all the empire factions should offer enough diversity to allow similar entities, maybe even some shadow politics by the pirate factions.

But this would take a lot of time from the event team that might be better used in creating new events since, to be honest, things like this will be 98% talking, 2% of actually doing things.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2011, 09:04 »

well the 98%/2% you mention is one of the things i've always advocated to resolve through the concept of "campaigns". You start the ball, but leave it to the players to complete in some time frame.

A natural disaster ocurred in some remote location? and the government is asking for help? cool.....
First phase is CCP acting as a survey team that arrived, maybe they require a security detachment since they are in low-sec. Then a forum post detailing the needed materials. Thats 2-3 hours of ingame chatting.

All donations contract to XX char, they will be claimed on X day (1 week time frame) on some low-sec base close to the planet affected.

2nd post indicating all material received and state of affairs, And a 2nd batch of contracts to move "people" (tourists, janitors) out of the system to new locations.

How much CCP time did that require? how much people did it involved?......thats the sort of mechanisms i think they should start to incorporate into their framework.

All sort of conflicts arise in between as players compete between themselves....of course.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 08 Aug 2011, 09:18 »

I just wish they would start events at other times and more often.  And I know they only have two guys doing it, which to me means they should hire more, but if they did it would be nice if there was always a chance of some actor poping up in local saying "I need help with XXX, can anyone help?"  And if it ends right there, okay.  If it doesn't that cool as well.  Not every story should be galaxy shaping.  While those are cool, it might be fun to have an event that the equivalent of finding someone's dog or something.  And if they are small, more of them can be run and more people can get into them. 

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Aug 2011, 11:48 »

This topic confuses me since it seems to be talking about two different things and one is not like the other.

Is this about CCP involving the players in more events, or players creating events for CCP to involve themselves into?

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 Aug 2011, 13:48 »

This topic confuses me since it seems to be talking about two different things and one is not like the other.

Is this about CCP involving the players in more events, or players creating events for CCP to involve themselves into?

i'll quote myself

In short, and from what i was able to conclude on the document content, the live events team more or less wishes to provide a "framework" or "starting point" and let the emergent behavior of Eve take over ongoing story arcs.

So in short i guess, is how CCP can start events that mean less workload for them and open more possibilities for players.