Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Arek'jaalan: The analysis  (Read 23279 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Arek'jaalan: The ONGOING Verdict
« Reply #105 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:42 »

I certainly do not like the situation of stating "My character studies intensively to reveal the answer to all questions" and then look with puppy eyes at the Game Master until he goes "You are successful! The answer is...".

Apparently, people are petitioning, asking to speak to Dropbear, to gain validation for their things.

actual Petitions.  :ugh:
\o/

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #106 on: 10 Sep 2011, 08:30 »

Probably should be more neutral seeing as did the OP, but I do feel compelled to say that this Professor Delainen thing should be retconned. Like, now. Reasons

1) Mission collectible NPC, i.e. something you rescue from a wreck.

2) Apparently he dies in the later storyline of the mission series.

3) Guidelines vis a vis missions in RP, i.e. they are backstory, not developing story content.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2011, 08:32 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #107 on: 10 Sep 2011, 10:52 »

I used mission related content in my Algintal reports too, but I think it is justifiable as I can come up with an easy explanation why the Damaged Hive Mind is still giving out the same missions. In some cases missions can be the only source of PF material so we have to dig there.

Though, I am not certain about the point of questioning Professor Delainen. In fact, I expect it will lead to another "wait for the GM to answer" situation unless there is a wealth of knowledge on Professor Delainen that I am unaware of.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #108 on: 14 Sep 2011, 04:43 »

I think you might have missed what the issue was

The simple fact is that this prof whoever dies later in the mission series where you get him as an item from. I.e. capsuleers have done this questline already, and he dies at the end of it, therefore, he is dead, ICly.

I mean, no offense Myxx, but this is just plain godmodding, you cant just bring back DEAD CHARACTERS when it suits your purpose.

Im glad to see it not come back on the mailing list, but this has to stop.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2011, 05:01 by Nmaro Makari »

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #109 on: 14 Sep 2011, 05:15 »

you cant just bring back DEAD CHARACTERS when it suits your purpose.

Maybe the doctor was only faking his death and found a terran sleeper superweapon to free us from the Sansha invasions in a single battle, after which the terran sleeper superweapon is gone and not rebuildable anymore?

. . .

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #110 on: 14 Sep 2011, 05:31 »

you cant just bring back DEAD CHARACTERS when it suits your purpose.

Maybe the doctor was only faking his death and found a terran sleeper superweapon to free us from the Sansha invasions in a single battle, after which the terran sleeper superweapon is gone and not rebuildable anymore?

. . .

1) In the final mission, he intergrates himself into a drone hive. You kill him in the mission. He is dead. QED.

2) His specialty is Artificial Intelligence. Not Sansha-killing superweapons.

3) Plain lazy story writing. Battlefield Earth story writing.

I mean, does nobody see the implications of just abusing missions and mission items like this?
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2011, 05:33 by Nmaro Makari »

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #111 on: 14 Sep 2011, 07:17 »

I'm pretty sure Mr. Sadik's statement wasn't so much a retort to you, Nmaro, as it was a tangential despair on the Empyrean age plottwist. Which has been hackneyed and gone over many times before, of course, but there you go.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #112 on: 14 Sep 2011, 07:19 »

Oh, I would not bring in a dead person for questioning. It does indeed break our IC knowledge on the rest of the events regarding this person. Also, I would not claim that there are hordes of Sleeper drones flying around near Arnon eventhough people spot one everyday (just before Dargan blow it up... over and over).

I mean, PF knowledge gained from missions can be essential but has to be handled with care. That is one of the reasons I mostly gather mission background notes in the Lorebook and rarely mission briefings.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #113 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:18 »

Well, thinking back there was an item on the mailing list that caught my eye once, which was in fact a summary of the epic arc missions (surprised it hasn't been committed to the archive actually), by a capsuleer, from the point of view of a fictional capsuleer.

Quite simply, it was laid out as a journal of finds, intended to be THE record of the mission. I liked this for the reason that it wasnt self hype, like the capsuleer saying he had just done the epic arc, but shifting the responsibility to a non playable character.

By referring to it in the past tense and treating it as if it had been done already, the epic arc missions then become fair game to talk about in theoretical discussions, rather than if the capsuleer in question simply said he was going put on an epic quest and took all the credit.

In my opinion, this is how missions should be used. They have already happened, and should be treated as a record, not developing content.

Then again, what am I supposed to do with all these Militants?

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #114 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:49 »

In my own experience, missions don't fit into RP at all. You basically have to handwave them.

Not only do they not make logical sense in an RP environment, (Yes! I get to go kill Krull AGAIN!!!), the same missions are given to different people in different areas of space at the same time all the time. It simply doesn't make sense.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #115 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:12 »

In my own experience, missions don't fit into RP at all. You basically have to handwave them.

This.

I talk ICly about "fighting Angels" (or Sansha, or ...), and maybe "breaking an Angel gate camp" (and that's getting iffy already because we can't use the gate), nothing more.

On the other hand, missions give backstory information. I wouldn't use it verbatim as such, but if a mission talks about a Federation spy post in the Republic, I can assume that such things do exist and that we capsuleers know about them.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #116 on: 17 Sep 2011, 13:46 »

I might post this mission question in another thread.

But anyway, there have been rumours abud of Dropbear's absence due to business/health or whatever.

Are these rumours true?

If they are, has it hurt the project?

If so, how?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #117 on: 17 Sep 2011, 15:38 »

It is only hurting those that have been basing their whole "research" on him coming with the answers when they ask the questions. The few of us who actually dig through every bit of EVE lore to try and find small bits of evidence that can support our theories would of course be very displeased if he ever actually did that.

Though, to be fair I guess we are in minority. Most AJ participants seem to think it is a RP scenario where you can RP your way to answers. Not the puzzle pondering investigation game that has been going on in the EVE Fiction forum over the last couple of years.

Oh forgot to say; of course Dropbear can drop small pieces of new clues here and there but it is only fun if finding them is not obvious and you have to log into EVE to find them. And by obvious I mean creating a research proposal that will pretty much explain everything and then demand Dropbear answer to that.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 15:43 by Myyona »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: Arek'jaalan: The analysis
« Reply #118 on: 17 Sep 2011, 15:44 »

Title changed again. Shameless thread promotion and also I think it suits it better.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: Arek'jaalan: The analysis
« Reply #119 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:31 »

Site One. What is it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13