Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Request Forwarded to RP Community from CCP Maiden Steel  (Read 6642 times)

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help

CCP_MaidenSteel: RP vs PF: where do they meet, and where do they clash? Go!
vieve_tisserand: @CCP_MaidenSteel Hmm. Where to start in a target-rich environment?
CCP_MaidenSteel:@vieve_tisserand Anywhere you want. I want to know how the players see it, especially as everyone RPs differently.

[some rapid fire off the top of my head questions follow]

vieve_tisserand: @CCP_MaidenSteel These questions I'm throwing out are answered in RP in a lot of different ways.
CCP_MaidenSteel: @vieve_tisserand Bear in mind, I can't give answers, but this is REALLY helpful for finding holes! Ask any other RPers you know, too.
vieve_tisserand: @CCP_MaidenSteel I could throw a post up on Backstage and invite people to harass you with their lists, if you'd like.
CCP_MaidenSteel: @vieve_tisserand Please do! I browse Backstage, but it's hard to parse through the discussions sometimes.

---

Done.  CCP Maiden Steel (@CCP_MaidenSteel on Twitter) would like to hear folks' take on where RP differs from PF.   Please be gentle.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Request Forwarded to RP Community from CCP Maiden Steel
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:17 »

Where RP contradicts PF? Or where PF contradicts itself/has holes it in that we have to work around in RP?

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:24 »

Where RP contradicts PF? Or where PF contradicts itself/has holes it in that we have to work around in RP?

Both.

The questions that I fired off had to do with where there's little or no PF clarifying things (my example was: "what, legally speaking, happens to planets and stations in factional warfare systems when they're occupied by an opponent?"), and as a result, wildly different RP takes on the topic have emerged.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:25 »

I think I don't understand the question. What is the difference between an activity and written material?

That's like asking where charity and the Gospel meet and differ, and I'm not sure the question (as I interpret it) is meaningful.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:41 »

I think I don't understand the question. What is the difference between an activity and written material?

That's like asking where charity and the Gospel meet and differ, and I'm not sure the question (as I interpret it) is meaningful.

Here was my take on it.   Let's assume we're talking about charity and the Gospel.

Does the Gospel say anything about charity?
A) Yes.  So, are people following a strict interpretation of the Gospel's edicts concerning charity?
     A1) Yes.   Okay, thank you, have a nice day.
     A2) No. No?  Interesting.  What are some of the ways in which people are defining charity?
B) No.  Oh, crap.  We missed that.  Are people defining charity for themselves?
     B1) Yes.  Oh, outstanding!   What are some of the ways in people are defining charity?
     B2) No. Oh. Okay, thank you, have a nice day.

Better?

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:43 »

As I understand it, they're looking for clarifications on things that the RP community has had to "make up" because there's no PF covering it. Sort of a "what's missing that you encounter regularly?" question.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:46 »

FW occupation. It's been clarified somewhat on the Gallente/Caldari side, and it has been revealed that the war takes place on the ground too.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2011, 10:55 by Seriphyn »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:08 »

Non-Amarrian or Amarrian-derived religion. There's precious little information on things like the doctrines and practices of the Sisters of EVE or Caldari ancestor worship.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:37 »

FW occupation. It's been clarified somewhat on the Gallente/Caldari side, and it has been revealed that the war takes place on the ground too.

Well, yeah, but that doesn't answer questions like these:

1) Are individual capsuleers of the 24th permitted to take slaves from the planetary populations of factional warfare Heimatar/Metropolis systems?  Or is this 'right' reserved by Amarrian authorities (Amarr Navy, Heirs, duly appointed Holders, SPCS representatives)?  Or was 'you can't take legally take slaves from those worlds' part of the original agreement with CONCORD?

2) There are Federation corporation owned stations within the factional warfare zone.  What happens to them as far as the regulations they have to follow when their system is occupied by the Protectorate?  We've seen PF about Caldari forces occupying a planet, but precious little about station politics.  A more concrete answer to this might also be useful when considering the operational status of foreign corporation owned stations within the Federation and State (or Empire and Republic) proper.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:06 »

Okay, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:10 »

I'd definitely like to know about EXACTLY how the Amarrian occupation took place.  What planets were captured, which ones escaped, what survived culturally, what didn't? That's a point of major contention for a lot of Matari RPers and it causes very halting problems in the expansion of our own imaginings of things.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:49 »

Well, yeah, but that doesn't answer questions like these:

1) Are individual capsuleers of the 24th permitted to take slaves from the planetary populations of factional warfare Heimatar/Metropolis systems?  Or is this 'right' reserved by Amarrian authorities (Amarr Navy, Heirs, duly appointed Holders, SPCS representatives)?  Or was 'you can't take legally take slaves from those worlds' part of the original agreement with CONCORD?

2) There are Federation corporation owned stations within the factional warfare zone.  What happens to them as far as the regulations they have to follow when their system is occupied by the Protectorate?  We've seen PF about Caldari forces occupying a planet, but precious little about station politics.  A more concrete answer to this might also be useful when considering the operational status of foreign corporation owned stations within the Federation and State (or Empire and Republic) proper.

I'd have to dig up the exact quotation, if it still exists, but new influx in the slave population consists as of the current time of criminals consigned to slavery and prisoners of war.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:57 »

Thank you for forwarding this Vieve, very nice of CCP to extend the question over here:

As a specific area where i think PF and RP meet/clash/differ is in the description of Space Stations and Player Owned Structures operate or what are their facilities in general. I remember reading various chronicles about "upper levels" for the Elite capsuleers, and also the Jita chronicle talked about Capsuleers not being allowed.....and there is also some RP that is often assumed from everyone regarding the internal distribution and facilities. So i think Space structures in general are a topic that should be polished quite a bit.

An area where RP has had to fill in vs PF is Federation Politics, Fed government structure and other such details. The Intaky Assembly in particular stirred quite a bit the "regular" RP concepts held before that time. (Probably the same is needed for Minmatars, a bit less for Caldari and Amarr).

The one final thing that, in my view, has been discussed from an RP angle, but never really hinted in any way in PF terms, is regular population growth, travel and education. Just how fast planets get populated? are capital worlds uber-crowded? are there any incentives to move out to less populated worlds? is education centralized around major population hubs? or in NPC school stations?.

The above 3 things do give out a LOT of groundwork to build up your own character history and how he came to be a capsuleer, or how he lives in station nowadays....so in my perspective those are the ones with most impact on the short term.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2011, 13:05 »

I'd have to dig up the exact quotation, if it still exists, but new influx in the slave population consists as of the current time of criminals consigned to slavery and prisoners of war.

In the case of FW, who counts as POWs? Crew taken from the wrecks of enemy ships? Enemy ground forces that surrender (assuming that there is some form of ground combat and assuming that those forces actually fear death and might therefor consider surrendering - dust soldiers shouldn't)? What about neutrals caught in the warzone, victims of NBSI militia corps, etc? Or do we disregard capsuleer vessels entirely because it's so hard to tell?

In short, in the absence of an all out war between traditional armies/navies, where do the POWs come from? Or is there more fighting going on in FW than we've been told about?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2011, 13:22 »

In the case of FW, who counts as POWs? Crew taken from the wrecks of enemy ships? Enemy ground forces that surrender (assuming that there is some form of ground combat and assuming that those forces actually fear death and might therefor consider surrendering - dust soldiers shouldn't)? What about neutrals caught in the warzone, victims of NBSI militia corps, etc? Or do we disregard capsuleer vessels entirely because it's so hard to tell?

In short, in the absence of an all out war between traditional armies/navies, where do the POWs come from? Or is there more fighting going on in FW than we've been told about?

Yes
Pages: [1] 2 3