Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Author Topic: World of Darkness  (Read 2721 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
World of Darkness
« on: 13 Jul 2011, 21:35 »

So, as you might have guessed from other posts I make on this forum, I'm kind of a big fan of World of Darkness. I was actually considering running a game of some description either on this forum, another forum, or IRC (there are advantages and disadvantages to either). The game would be run approximately whenever's convenient for everyone involved and ideally would probably have around 4-6 regular players (other people could join in later, or from time-to-time, if they wanted, though). For brevity's sake, here's a brief summary of the various settings in a paragraph or less:

Vampire: The Requiem
You may know this by its more well-known but somewhat overrated predecessor, Vampire: The Masquerade. This is a proper modern gothic setting with proper vampires - walking, talking, thinking corpses animated by an unnatural thirst for blood. A good amount of action with very heavy politics and social manouvering. Lies far towards the dark end of the light-dark spectrum, but on the hopeful-bleak spectrum it's pretty much in the middle.

Werewolf: The Forsaken
White Wolf's consistently brilliant writing can't really save this setting from being a bit too far removed from humanity to develop truly relatable characters, but it's got some very strong shamanistic and animistic thematic elements that come in useful in playing other games. It's still possible to pull enjoyable games out of this, but it's hard. You're a Werewolf, some stuff happened in the past that means the spirit world hates you and a bunch of other werewolves think you're a dick. Oh, also, rats are trying to eat the world. Dark and bleak.

Mage: The Awakening
My favoured setting. Features pretty much the most complex mechanics of the lot. Extremely open-ended storyline and gameplay, which is both advantageous and disadvantageous (Creative Thaumaturgy essentially allows your characters to invent spells on the fly and every spell in the Time arcanum might as well be named "Derail The Fucking Plot"). Characters are the most decidedly human of the lot, and must define themselves via their abilities and personalities, rather than their state of being. Atlantis makes an appearence. Bright and hopeful, but not too much of either to lose the appeal of World of Darkness as a whole.

Changeling: The Lost
White Wolf writes a game about faeries, and it just so happens to be the most depressing setting they've ever written. You got abducted by faeries, permanently changed by the appearence. You escaped, but you can never go back to the way things were, and the thing that abducted you kind of wants you to come back. No, really, it really wants you to come back. Pretty bright in terms of setting, but BLEAK AS ALL FUCKING HELL.

Promethean: The Created
On the face of it, the most basic representation of the core concept - "You get to be Frankenstein's fucking monster!" - is a pretty easy sell. When you actually explore its themes, it turns into "You get to be Frankenstein's fucking monster and you're on a quest to transubstantiate the Divine Fire that animates you into a human soul via a form of spiritual mysticism that resembles Paracelsian alchemy". Yeah. Seriously. Very rewarding game, dark but hopeful. A bit of a trick to wrap your head around at first though.

What interests people?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: World of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2011, 21:38 »

Mage might be fun. I've done Vampires before and didn't care too much for it. If we're doing NWoD, we could always run a mortals game and just see where things go.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2011, 22:09 »

You forgot one.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2011, 23:36 »

You forgot one.

Wrong gameline.

This is the one you're looking for;

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2011, 00:40 »

Love WoD, it's awesome. As I think I've mentioned before, I only started playing Eve because it was rumoured that CCP were making a WoD MMO. Dex Kivuli was originally a Lasombra Vampire, before he decided to become a pod pilot.

I think the mechanics of gameplay in nWoD are awesome.

But I think the underlying storyline and ideas of oWoD was better.

Specifically, I liked the intricate history of some of the characters in Vampire the Masquerade. I also repreferred Mage the Ascension to new Mage. I think that the old ideas behind Mage were much more flexible, mages were really 'architects' of reality. New  Mage feels more rigid.

That said, nWoD is still fricken' awesome, and count me in for anything to do with it (subject to my terrible, terrible Australian timzone).

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:31 »

HUNTER

THESE GAMES WE DO NOT SPEAK OF.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:07 »

I'm a terrible geek. I don't play any other tabletop RPGs of any kind ("What, rolling dice isn't roleplaying!" /me dons robe and wizard hat), but I briefly did LARPing for a few months.

Yep, first-person shooters, action games and so forth for me...KEEP IT ALPHA BRO

* Seriphyn coughs

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:29 »

At one point I knew V:tR like the back of my hand, have very little knowledge of V:tM. During the waning months of the V:tR larp I was a part of, there was talk of putting together a Geist(sp): Sin Eaters game.

Anyways, I'd be interested in anything that gets together. Not a big fan of bleak, dark and hopeful works great for me.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:58 »

I personally think I'd be really awesome to just start off as a bunch of Mortals and just see what happens.  :twisted:
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:06 »

Cross-setting games are really difficult (and in the case of Promethean/anything else, literally impossible) to run, both from a mechanics perspective and the fact that the themes and societies of each setting are so different. We'd have to have unity of purpose on what specific type of supernatural the characters would turn into, and that would be a trick to set up believably.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:52 »

I was in a WOD cross-setting game once, but we were all unusual to begin with, not mortals (mostly vampires and mages as I remember).  It went pretty good until our GM split due to out of game drama (which is where I learned never RP with significant others, unless you are not going to break up anytime soon).  If this was play by post or something I might play.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2011, 04:29 »

I am currently starting a Requiem table top game. I love the d10 system as it gets around the whole "dice rolling isnt RPing" stigma.

My players and I are currently collaberating on building the world ans setting up charaters.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2011, 09:55 »

Mythic Europe and the Order of Hermes.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2011, 10:24 »

Some may recall Mummy: The Resurrection. I never got to play it but I liked the lore behind it.  :o

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2011, 13:00 »

[18:59:29] Stitcher > ah, mage. "I don't have a lighter. I light my cigarette anyway. OH GOD PARADOX!!!!"
[18:59:41] Andreus Ixiris > Stitcher: I am literally loling
[18:59:44] Stitcher > "I REGRET EVERYTHING I EVER DID!"
[18:59:44] Andreus Ixiris > I love you :D