Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Chronicles of Eve" and some digression  (Read 4194 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: "Chronicles of Eve" and some digression
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:09 »

No worries; I am fine with it.  Just didn't remember.

Reicine Ceer

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2011, 17:26 »

People wrote their stories in the hope that people will read them and enjoy them without any expectation of financial gain and may well be happy that their stories continue to be read by someone out there, even if they have lost interest themselves.

I've written several pieces of EVE fiction... While i'd be pissed off if someone was profiting from something i'd written if i wasn;t getting a good cut, i'd definitely want other people that're really enjoying the EVE Universe to read my stories about New Eden and really "get" what i wrote.

While most online fiction writers place no caveats on their work, i do agree that its in the public domain and while some may argue the 'moral' or 'ethical' points, i feel that the point is being missed: its fiction made BY fans FOR fans, and as such, imho what it comes down to is whether the use of the old fiction written by long-forgotten players is within the spirit of why it was written in the first place.

Wordy.

In short, that stuff was written to be enjoyed by a community as a whole, and i'd be very surprised if anyone came out the woodwork and started complaining that their work is somehow being misused if it is among an archive of collected EVE fiction.

RC

Half Cocked Jack

• Clonejack
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:24 »

This sounds like a discussion straight out of library school. The currents are always treacherous in the waters between preservation, use, and permissions. I'm taking classes in digital libraries and copyright law this fall, so perhaps then I can contribute something better than be aware of the TOS of whichever forums the fiction originates from:)

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:56 »

I am a slow reader, which is a huge disadvantage since I enjoy reading, and would love to be able to assimilate all the apocryphal fiction put out by the wonderful base of writers we have in EVE. 

However unpopular I may be for saying so, when it comes to EVE fiction in particular, I am much more drawn to works that contribute to the 'world building' aspect of personal fiction.  I love to see when a writer takes a deep understanding of prime fiction, gives it their own twist through the lens of their character(s), and extends or extrapolates scenarios based on that.

Unfortunately (for me) this means that I end up missing a lot of good fiction, such as character blogs, IGS threads, etc. which appear to deal solely with character plotlines within the established PF but do not offer significant contribution to the base material. 

All this to say that I wish there was an easier way to categorize between the two types of fiction, but the problem is likely too steeped in my own biases to allow simple classification.  This is because, for example, I find in some cases I can form a better understanding of life and culture in Amarr is based on one cleric's poem, than some lengthier stories which exhibit deep character development but devote little attention to the broader society, the intricate workings of the surroundings, or the imagined history of a people/place.

:s
Pages: 1 [2]