Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: IC sections  (Read 46335 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: IC sections
« Reply #225 on: 30 Oct 2014, 15:42 »

My favorite new function on another forum I'm on is that private mail functions just like a private thread only the participating people can see. Makes it very easy to quote, keep track of what is going on, have long conversations, etc.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #226 on: 30 Oct 2014, 16:00 »

What backend does that forum use? Or is it all made in house?

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #227 on: 30 Oct 2014, 20:20 »

I think For The State shows how some IC sections of a new IC forum could work. I personally love the stories people make about their characters and I think this new IC forum would be a great place to make these stories interactive.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #228 on: 31 Oct 2014, 15:47 »

What backend does that forum use? Or is it all made in house?

I'll ask the owner. Poke me if I forget.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #229 on: 02 Nov 2014, 12:18 »

Another suggestion if it can be done. Either have an anonymous usergroup but call it something IC like "CAMERA DRONE" that people can post with as an option. Or change the "Guest" usergroup title to "CAMERA DRONE" or "ROGUE DRONE" and let people post as guests. I assume spam is a problem so I don't know how viable the latter option would be. Maybe require "Guest" usergroup pass a captcha to post.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #230 on: 03 Nov 2014, 00:33 »

I think the anonymity afforded by alt posting is quite enough.  To not have any accountability behind a post at all (after all, a posting alt may at some point become a 'real' character, to it does have at least some accountability attached) would only invite and encourage shitposting.

Oh, the things I would say if nobody could ever link it to me...

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #231 on: 06 Nov 2014, 06:48 »

Anonymous posting would also go well with the obligatory ERP subsections.  ;)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #232 on: 06 Nov 2014, 07:25 »

I think the anonymity afforded by alt posting is quite enough.  To not have any accountability behind a post at all (after all, a posting alt may at some point become a 'real' character, to it does have at least some accountability attached) would only invite and encourage shitposting.

Oh, the things I would say if nobody could ever link it to me...

Given what you say when people can link it to you... I don't want to know.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #233 on: 07 Dec 2014, 06:10 »

So Silver mentioned a subforum for planning this out. Where are we on this?

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #234 on: 07 Dec 2014, 19:32 »

Update would be neat.. I'm to the point where I can't read some of the drivel on IGS, there is little else to go for forum RP.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #235 on: 07 Dec 2014, 19:47 »

The update is that Silver's RL is a dick.

It hasn't been forgotten about. Just not had an opportunity for us to sit down and decide exactly what we're going to do about it.

Will try to have something by the new year, hopefully.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #236 on: 07 Dec 2014, 21:36 »

I don't think I have posted yet in the thread (or at all lately, RL things) but I'd like to say that I've been for this thread from the beginning, mostly because as a RPer new to EVE, I haven't been around long enough to see this or that forum go all to hell, nor do I know any of you or have any experiences that make me go, whatever, this won't work, why should we try?

Generally speaking I don't think that's a great attitude about anything, because it assumes we're all stupid and incompetent and can't even attempt to learn from our mistakes. That might be true, /shrug, but to not try seems sad. Especially by bittervetting, for us noobs that haven't gotten the chance to be bittervetted into oblivion yet. It's a special journey, don't take it from us! :p

Sometimes it's a good feeling to dust off hands and say, okay, let's try this again. So, I'm in support of this, at least from that perspective. I have no idea what's gone on in the past, so I really can't comment on any of that - I want this for me. : j  It's encouraging.

I don't think the IGS can be supplanted, nor is it going to divide attentions. I haven't posted much on the IGS because, sure, the quality isn't great, and that isn't great, and people rattle around in there quite a lot, but more, it's just so overwhelming a place to post anything. It's too big. A smaller forum perhaps lends itself to 'circle-jerking' with a set number of people who end up there finally, but I sort of think that's inevitable to some degree, can be mitigated to some degree, and also still preferable to the IGS'... Everythingness.  A bit of focus can be a great thing, even if it's not a forever thing.

The idea that this new forum might not last forever isn't a reason not to do it, to me. I'm behind it, as a new RPer that just can't be bothered with trying to parse the IGS, not even really offended by it. (it's just time consuming to find the tastier meaty RPers, and that's the disappointing aspect). I think it'll be fine - I found this site initially because I was looking (googlesearching) for an alternative to the IGS, because I legitimately believed that this had to be the case. Surely at least some other noobs that care enough and are even slightly offput by the IGS will do the same?

Just some thoughts about the thread so far. Seems like it's going ahead, but I just wanted to speak up since I haven't participated at all yet. I don't know what I could do to help, but I'm willing to put in some hours if extra hands are needed.

When it comes to groups of RPers, there really is a sort of swell and lull, over years. I think that's absolutely inevitable. So long as the subject
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #237 on: 08 Dec 2014, 16:01 »

Update would be neat.. I'm to the point where I can't read some of the drivel on IGS, there is little else to go for forum RP.

So much that....I dont even really RP anymore but I still like to keep up with stuff and it is pretty bad sometimes most times.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #238 on: 10 Jan 2015, 13:08 »

The update is that Silver's RL is a dick.

It hasn't been forgotten about. Just not had an opportunity for us to sit down and decide exactly what we're going to do about it.

Will try to have something by the new year, hopefully.

what is the current status, if any ?
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #239 on: 10 Jan 2015, 14:15 »

Status update? Last thing that was done was me readjusting a prospective list of rules based on internal feedback.

I seem to be the only one trying to be proactive about it, though Silver at least has the excuse of RL sucking up all his time. (Edit - he should be back by the 16th or 17th but that doesn't mean we'll be posting anything then.)

Edit - I suppose I should clarify what I mean by the prospective list of rules. I took all of the rules from the official EVE forums, then put them into three bins - keep, toss, unsure - with reasons for each. The idea being that while most of the rules for the official forums would still be applicable on an IC-only forum, a fair number would also be useless or require tweaking/focusing to be relevant (ones specific to individual EVE-O subforums, for example) and so it probably isn't worth fussing over them.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2015, 14:59 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]