Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Fiery Kernite once led to an epic bar brawl in the Syndicate, leading it to be called "Rage Stone"?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire  (Read 3780 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
Sins of a Solar Empire
« on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:32 »

Who has this? I'd love to play a few games with someone.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:03 »

I do. Haven't touched it in ages, never played much/any multiplayer so I probably suck, but I recall it being a fun game. Might have to install in on the new comp and see how it runs.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:13 »

I love Sins. It's one of the few RTS games I own in which I enjoy playing every faction pretty much equally, though I'm tending towards the TEC when I play at the moment, if only for lolexponential growth in credit income.

That being said, while I'm not awful (but hardly good) at comp stomping, I've played multiplayer maybe twice, ever. Neither occasion ended well for my empire, but hey, it was hilarious. :p

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:41 »

Sadly, the only RTS experience I have is Stacraft: Broodwar and Starcraft 2. I'm looking at the gameplay for Sins and I might consider playing it, but it will be a while before that happens.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:56 »

I have SoaSE and the two expansions.  Strongly recommend the Distant Stars mod for the greater variety of worlds/relics, the longer research trees, and dynamic combat movement.

The Vasari says, "Entering phaazzze ssspaccee...:twisted:

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:57 »

Sins actually is one of the few games that I wish had a story-based campaign. They wrote up some interesting backstory for each of the factions, but aside from what you hear them say as you give orders and such, it seems not to matter.

... alright, time to get creative. How do you build an RP campaign around Sins?

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:59 »

Sins actually is one of the few games that I wish had a story-based campaign. They wrote up some interesting backstory for each of the factions, but aside from what you hear them say as you give orders and such, it seems not to matter.

That's something I have significant experience with, actually. I am already half-way finished with designing a table top RP game for EVE. >.>

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:07 »

1) Use Galaxy Forge to create several multiple star system maps
2) Call them 'constellations'
3) Collect a few players
4) Organize them into teams
5) Compete for galactic hegemony and :flex: on forum somewhere
6) ???
7) RProfit!

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:32 »

Times of war are upon us

I love this game.  I think almost all RTS are lame muscle-memory click-fests that really have little to do with actual no kidding strategy, particularly in PVP.  Sins plays much more like an old 4X game back in the day.  Cant recommend it enough.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:34 »

I love Sins. It's one of the few RTS games I own in which I enjoy playing every faction pretty much equally, though I'm tending towards the TEC when I play at the moment, if only for lolexponential growth in credit income.

That being said, while I'm not awful (but hardly good) at comp stomping, I've played multiplayer maybe twice, ever. Neither occasion ended well for my empire, but hey, it was hilarious. :p

So Kyber, you go from playing Sins of a Solar Empire, to EVE on Kyber, which could rightly be called Sins of a Balding Imperial.   I sense a theme  :P
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 09:36 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Kenpachi

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:46 »

I have it, never played online though

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2011, 09:50 »

7) RProfit!

This almost got me in trouble at work for laughing.

Fortunately, it's a slow day, so the fact that I'm no longer thinking about my work at all is alright....

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2011, 10:56 »

I think I could set up a pretty good roleplay campaign for us to engage in, actually, with a little help from people like Raze.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:26 »

Sins was fun when I played it, but what has been alot more fun and alot more interesting, imho, is Sword of the Stars, and their expansions. SOTS 2 is in the works and promise to be epic-grade stuff, I can hardly wait.

While SOTS I is a pretty damn good game, my two biggest arguments about it is borked AI and all 'solar-systems' comprising single planets... fucking boring. Setting that apart however, it's a pretty damn good game and in multiplayer the AI issue can be removed entierly if only players take part.

Other than that, expect the AI to ignore Destroyers and for the most part, cruisers, in favor of Dreadnougt spamming when the tech is available to them. Also expect them to totally ignore any and all defencive fleets around planets in favor or sactifising perhaps dozens of ships to burn it down, THEN perhaps shooting the defenders. Absurd shit is absurd. SOTS 2 allready confirmed to fix the planets issue and likely fixed the AI issue as well, beyond generally improving everything else and making it a greater 4X game.

Have fun in Sins, folks. I've not touched that game since last year iirc, and I don't currently have it, either.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2011, 13:13 »

Couple of SoaSE mods to check out:

http://sinsdistantstars.wikia.com/wiki/SoaSE_Distant_Stars_Wiki (with the dynamic combat add-on, this really enriches the gameplay and visual experience, which is already quite good)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sins-of-new-eden/videos/trailer-1
Pages: [1] 2