Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rimpon, an ovoid, golden coloured fruit with a tart taste, was invented by player Matariki Rain, and has since made an appearance in a number of player-created fictions?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Revolt against ccp - isn't this blowing out of proportions people?!  (Read 25066 times)

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker

But I will not actively campaign to destroy the game or the company. First of all, it is tacky. Secondly, it benefits absolutely nobody. Thirdly, there are still good people who enjoy this game and work at CCP who don't deserve buckets of shit being flung at them.1

As things currently stand, it is almost like CCP and the bitter playerbase are fighting to see who can destroy EVE first. CCP, by all indications, desires to develop it into a thing only remotely recognizable to what it has been in the past. The playerbase, on the other hand, wants to turn back the clock and is willing to smear CCP/EVE up one end of the gaming news community and down the other to get their way. Somewhere in the middle is the rational compromise that will probably end up happening. I await to see what that is.

1 I've been victim of personal administrative correspondence being made public before (from the perspective of a university forum admin team). I know how it feels and how easily something intended as benign can turn into a double-edged knife pointed straight at your jugular. It sucks.

Another very well formulated point, complementing the lines of why I made the this thread at first place.
Things are blowing out of proportion in more than a single way.  Let's hope for a hault, more objective thinking, less of emotional despair.

Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

All the issues with Incarna and vanity items, mails, ccp internal docs , communications etc etc. Fine. They made a mistake. Bad for business etc, we are all tired to know and dicuss about this.
Now, ccp developed a game we all enjoy. More to the point, is this all ragequit, revolts, ill words, attacks directed at them really helpfull at the moment? I mean come on, they are a business like any other, companies make mistakes, they need to find a balance between profit and customer satisfaction.
Anyone of you here who owns or are responsible for this side of your company or your work knows how delicate this balance can be.
Zulu's blog suck. Heimar's mail suck. no doubt about that.
But answering it with this pathetic forum rage, screaming, throwing rocks and lack of patience is only aggravating the situation.

Perhaps its time for everyone to take a deep breath and allow ccp to breathe too out of the shitstorm. Let them rethink, see what went wrong and give them a chance to restore some sanity in the process.
Or better yet: if you really want to make a point, just dont buy the stuff. No company will support something that isnt giving profit. that's the core of the message when Heilmar says " See what players are doing, not what they are saying "

Time to take a small step back and stop the witchhunt, isnt it? Give them some room to fix the PR mess they made with the gaming industry and us too. Damage is done , putting more fire into it wont help.

Also... igs threads related to incarna issues? really...

+1

Raging about with this and throwing a hissy tantrum breaking stuff is what a child would do when angered with their parents. As I like to think the vast majority of EVE's player-base are well-grown, civilized adults I would expect them to behave like civilized adults and go about voicing thier issues and concerns in proper ways.

We all know CCP has fucked up. I won't hold this against them; not only are they a corporation that want and NEED to make money - ergo exploring all options available - they are a corporation of HUMANS. And those creatures fuck up quite alot, let me tell you. Just look at the child-like tantrums going on in EVE's playerbase now.

There are considerably more effective and constructive means to voice your annoyance with this and underline that this is a BAD idea that CCP should drop and replace with anything else that makes them a revenue without fucking up their core game - and I fully expect the rioters to calm the fuck down, get a grip, and pursue those means.

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker

+1

Raging about with this and throwing a hissy tantrum breaking stuff is what a child would do when angered with their parents. As I like to think the vast majority of EVE's player-base are well-grown, civilized adults I would expect them to behave like civilized adults and go about voicing thier issues and concerns in proper ways.

We all know CCP has fucked up. I won't hold this against them; not only are they a corporation that want and NEED to make money - ergo exploring all options available - they are a corporation of HUMANS. And those creatures fuck up quite alot, let me tell you. Just look at the child-like tantrums going on in EVE's playerbase now.

There are considerably more effective and constructive means to voice your annoyance with this and underline that this is a BAD idea that CCP should drop and replace with anything else that makes them a revenue without fucking up their core game - and I fully expect the rioters to calm the fuck down, get a grip, and pursue those means.

+ 1
My thanks for that.
Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Effective means? Like, say, cancelling our subscriptions, and maybe discouraging potential new customers?

I agree that some of the invective has gotten way out of control. But I don't agree that we should stand idly by in quiet resignation and just wait.

The middle ground is a good way, and that's the way I'm going.

Hamish Grayson

As of last tally 2,477 accounts were deactivated since this started. That amounts to roughly 450,000 USD a year. Players are voting with their feet and their wallets.

Were did you find this info?

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

As of last tally 2,477 accounts were deactivated since this started. That amounts to roughly 450,000 USD a year. Players are voting with their feet and their wallets.

Were did you find this info?

Despite the spreadsheet, it is very difficult to verify the data.  There is documentation of ~2500 accounts lost.  If that is true, it is most of the way to 1% of the number subscribed accounts.  It remains to be seen how high this will go.

Profit is profit in the short term, but my view is that if moves made generally disenfranchise a critical number of players / influential players this would be an unwise longer term strategy.  I have never seen such a high degree of expressed anger in EvE, nor such heavy posting since the Goon threadnaughtery. That said, there isn't a wealth of evidence supporting the view that significant numbers of important figures and within the EvE community are resigning (e.g. alliance leaderships, leaders of large organisations, influential characters).

While one could say that the introduction of NeX might compensate for this and lead to a net increase in income over the quarter, would it have been higher if NeX had not been introduced?  If the dissatisfaction spreads deep enough, EvE might follow the pathway of other games before it (see Star Wars Galaxies).  In that situation it would be a shame therefore that the corporation had not been more mindful of the wants of its customer base.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

there isn't a wealth of evidence supporting the view that significant numbers of important figures and within the EvE community are resigning (e.g. alliance leaderships, leaders of large organisations, influential characters).
These players are likely contemplating the impact on their organizations of who is leaving and whether they themselves can/should leave without disappointing others.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

Unsubbed.

You gotta fight!

<dun dun>

For your right!

<da-dun-dun-dun>

To spa-a-a-ace ships!

Er whatever.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

I'm waiting and seeing.

I'm pissed, but I'm not raging.

But if there is no budging on CCPs part, I'm gone.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vikarion

I just want them to state that there will be no pay-to-win, no Aurum for ships, mods, or ammo. Vanity items are fine - I mean, I might pay a small fee to paint my ship differently, and I think that's great. But I'd rather pay 20.00 a month than pay 14.95 and have p2w MT items.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

I just want them to state that there will be no pay-to-win, no Aurum for ships, mods, or ammo. Vanity items are fine - I mean, I might pay a small fee to paint my ship differently, and I think that's great. But I'd rather pay 20.00 a month than pay 14.95 and have p2w MT items.

I think there would be more lost subscriptions if the price went up than if MT business was instated, for EvE is already at the higher end of gaming subscription prices.  Imagine the implications for the multi-account subscribed.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

The other point to consider is whether items bought with Aurum will be resold by the original buyers for isk.  It's quite conceivable that all items obtained in that manner will be obtainable with ingame isk, in practice.  Thus the advantage of Aurum items could be gained without shelling out rl money.

With that in mind I don't see how the Aurum is as gamebreaking a problem as some suggest (pay to win).  We recall the rumours that a certain 0.0. alliance was bankrolled with GTCs, but that doesn't guarantee supremacy.   

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

As an industrialist, I would hate to see the game turned to the point where equipment and ships enter purely through RL money spawning. Even officer/faction/meta4 loot requires somebody to go out and find the stuff.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

As an industrialist, I would hate to see the game turned to the point where equipment and ships enter purely through RL money spawning. Even officer/faction/meta4 loot requires somebody to go out and find the stuff.

But what, other than principle, is the real difference?  The people who multi-subscribe pay extra RL money to gain advantages that those who can only afford one account can't (e.g. mining/hauling solo, metagame prolificly and use alt remote repping...the list goes on).  Should those who cannot afford multiple accounts cry foul?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11