EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Voluval as truth, especially bad marks.

<< < (2/13) > >>

Ulphus:

--- Quote from: Esna Pitoojee on 21 Jun 2011, 15:04 ---Eh... here's my question about that, then - why are people so concerned about those in Vo'Shun if everyone there are "bad people"? Seems to me that Vo'Shun isn't so much a "prison island" as a "mix of innocence and evil".

--- End quote ---

Uh, who's concerned about Vo'Shun? I'm not. "The Outcast" article seemed to be written by some Gallente bleeding heart who was shocked to discover how the Matari deal with their likely serial killers, lawyers, and people who talk in the cinema.

Vo'Shun seems to me to not actually be much to do with the Matari at all. Once someone is exiled, where they go is up to them.

Ulphus:

--- Quote from: Casiella on 21 Jun 2011, 14:49 ---Hmm. I tend to think that it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy: tell a kid he's destined to be a great soldier, and he'll go out and train and fight. Tell her she will be a great leader, and she'll get into politics. Tell them they're outcasts and not worthy of being among polite society, and that will happen.

--- End quote ---

The article on Voluval suggested (to me) that it was possible to predict which mark a person might get based on their personalilty - Nobody seemed surprised Mattmar got the mark of the Bull in "Ray of Matar". So I don't think it's as simple as just encouraging someone in a particular direction.

I could be wrong though.

Lyn Farel:
I have always favored Casiella's approach.

--- Quote from: Ulphus on 21 Jun 2011, 15:15 ---
--- Quote from: Esna Pitoojee on 21 Jun 2011, 15:04 ---Eh... here's my question about that, then - why are people so concerned about those in Vo'Shun if everyone there are "bad people"? Seems to me that Vo'Shun isn't so much a "prison island" as a "mix of innocence and evil".

--- End quote ---

Uh, who's concerned about Vo'Shun? I'm not. "The Outcast" article seemed to be written by some Gallente bleeding heart who was shocked to discover how the Matari deal with their likely serial killers, lawyers, and people who talk in the cinema.

--- End quote ---

Or maybe the author is right and there are a lot of victims of injustice in the lot that have not been differenciated from the truly deviant ones or been outcasted for the sake of obscurantism.

In any case I prefer this idea for several reasons :

- The narrator is not said in the text to be a character with his own convictions, and no clue is left to tell us that it is the case. By default, it is most likely the author/the storyteller himself that is speaking (so CCP). Occam's razor for me.

- I find it best for the story when a tool is even more misused and badly understood, with a lot of prejudice and clichés anchored in tradition (much like slavery in amarr). It goes pair with the grimdark side of eve, and it makes it more relevant to my eyes for that precise reason.

lallara zhuul:
The Amarrian Holders are just laughing as their nanite based breeding program indicators have been adopted by the Minnies as something holy and they keep purifying the stock from any weaknesses.

Ulphus:

--- Quote from: Lyn Farel on 21 Jun 2011, 15:41 ---- The narrator is not said in the text to be a character with his own convictions, and no clue is left to tell us that it is the case. By default, it is most likely the author/the storyteller himself that is speaking (so CCP). Occam's razor for me.

--- End quote ---

Then it's OOC, not PF? Filled with the opinions of a modern RL person?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version