Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You fly your ship from inside a pod, not from a bridge?

Author Topic: IC Terms  (Read 758 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
IC Terms
« on: 03 Jun 2011, 17:16 »

So, trying to run an immersionist corp has produced some interesting challenges, one of these is trying to classify patently OOC things in an IC manner. With that in mind, I've come up with some terms, these are the terms that I personally use, and I'm hoping to get a good discussion going on it.

IC Term: Linking/Delinking
explanation: this would be indicative of the pilots connection to the cluster at large virtually, and could be maintained by implants and datapads outside the pod, being delinked would be going completely offlined. I use it to say when I pilot is on or offline, "Marcus Gord just linked in" etc.

IC Term: Unisphere
Explanation: this would be the expanded system of networks and connections between them that weave themselves together outside of Galnet, Galnet would be the public, commercial internet, when expanded to military and concord databases and routers, intercapsule networks, intership comms, corporate comunications channels, and pirate broadcasts, you get the overall digital footprint of the cluster, the unisphere. This has various uses, for instance, when I have a locator run, the term I use is "having their unisphere address pinged."

IC Term: Local Band
Explanation: local chat is interesting in how it functions. To make it IC, I generally refer to local as local or as the local band or System Band.

So, what terms do you use? What other things do you have terms for?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: IC Terms
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2011, 17:28 »

Being online/offline/afk: On comms, off comms, recording comms.
Everything else is fine as it is, for the most part.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2011, 05:26 »

Some prime fiction does also use "NeoCom" (the same name that refers at times to the user interface) as the name of the network capsuleers and some other people can connect. (CONCORD leaders, at least, can access NeoCom - though they may be capsuleers, as well.) And since the web browser is part of the user interface, arguably all in character web sites are also connected to the NeoCom network.

So, GalNet would be the backbone (and a public name for the network, compare how people call surfing the web "Internet"). NeoCom descibes the entire technology, including also access to market and corporate systems (such as manufacturing and science systems).
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2011, 05:28 by Mithfindel »

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2011, 12:30 »

One thing I remember was used semi-jokingly when I was hanging out with PIE and the militia lot was "midday prayer" for downtime.