Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Black Nova Corporation (BNC) and others still retain some offices in the Jovian Empire when it was opened during EVE's starter years?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Alliance Tournament  (Read 11353 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Alliance Tournament
« Reply #75 on: 19 Jun 2011, 16:00 »

Wow! I managed to catch the very last match, and I was not disappointed!

What a great twist for the tournament. I thought it was great to see these two teams working together. People complain about 'match fixing' and 'rigged matches'. Which... is true, but only for this very last match. Aren't the two the very same entity though? I mean, they worked together, but still had to actually win the various lower matches before getting to this point. If someone curbstomped Outbreak earlier for example... Hydra would have had to face off against someone else, and no rigging would have taken place.

I know there was the dastardly metagame going on behind the scenes the whole time, but hasn't that happened in almost all the tournies? Two allies just happened to make it to the top together this time.

Anywho, I found this last match to be wonderfully exciting. I enjoyed it!

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #76 on: 19 Jun 2011, 16:01 »

I don't approve of what was done, but I do approve of the fact that they're allowed to do it.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #77 on: 19 Jun 2011, 19:25 »

I don't approve of what was done, but I do approve of the fact that they're allowed to do it.

+1

Would've been better if they'd at least made the last match INTERESTING.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #78 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:44 »

There's a really good writeup about the alliance tournament metagame at http://failheap-challenge.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2349. Apparently, they knew that at zero, the Vindis would decimate the other team, so they were compensating for it to make a good show, but compensated too much and ended having the Vindis decimated instead.

And yes, it was fixed to have HYDRA win.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #79 on: 20 Jun 2011, 04:22 »

They had already won before the final, that much is clear, but I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't just put up a proper fight in the final. It didn't matter who won the last fight and it would be fun for all involved to have a good scrap.

If I were CCP, I would seriously consider some form of punishment. This isn't supposed to happen in sports - which the AT9 definitely is, with fans, viewers, sponsors and all. Deciding on the right thing to do however isn't quite that easy.

Also, for the future, limiting the possibility of fielding multiple teams should be considered, but the problem with that is that it is pretty difficult to do without severely changing how teams are placed into the tournament.

Still, a lot of work went into the Hydra/Outbreak and it paid them with the prize of two final slots which is impressive.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #80 on: 20 Jun 2011, 05:01 »

Would've been better if they'd at least made the last match INTERESTING.

QFT  :|

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #81 on: 20 Jun 2011, 09:02 »

They had already won before the final, that much is clear, but I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't just put up a proper fight in the final.

hahahah , it was the ultimate form of griefing actually, pissing on everyone else who was watching  :lol: :lol:

obviously they did it because THEY COULD, not because it was the proper thing to do.......thats the definition of everything in EvE.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #82 on: 20 Jun 2011, 10:57 »

They had already won before the final, that much is clear, but I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't just put up a proper fight in the final.

hahahah , it was the ultimate form of griefing actually, pissing on everyone else who was watching  :lol: :lol:

obviously they did it because THEY COULD, not because it was the proper thing to do.......thats the definition of everything in EvE.

Sure, but I can't wrap my head around the mindset of the two teams. They had already won and were given a further chance for pew pew with over twenty thousand spectators. I'd be glad for the opportunity to shoot at some of my friends for entertainment value. My e-honor > 0, I guess.  :bear:

I doubt CCP will punish them, but if I were the one running the tournament they would face some consequences. That's not emorage, just a fact. I would be lolling all the way to the whipping, too. Grief the griefer. CCP prolly don't want to do that because the folks losing their shinies would likely emoragequit their accounts and I doubt they want such publicity right now.

But all in all, interesting times in Eve as always.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #83 on: 20 Jun 2011, 10:58 »

LOL - As much as my character loathes yours in the IC IGS forums, I'd have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #84 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:01 »

I think the only thing that really bugs me about this is that they're jumping up and down on the forums about how they were one team anyways and it didn't matter who won, blah blah blah.

Here's the thing - each alliance only gets to field one team. Hydra basically fielded to two teams in order to improve their chances of winning, and in the end, they didn't even have to bother winning the final, only had to get there.

Note: I respect the effort they put into this, I respect the victories they had to earn along the way. I just think it's silly that Hyrda essentially fielded two teams.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #85 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:40 »

This should be the new motto of EVE. Just sayin'.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #86 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:12 »

To be quite honest, when I was watching the match, I didn't quite approve of it. However, while I generally do not approve griefing, all the tears in the forums are very well worth having a boring final match. Is it me, or did HYDRA and Outbreak get more butthurt out of the community in 15 minutes of the match than the DDOS for a few hours of downtime?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #87 on: 20 Jun 2011, 13:26 »

10 thoraxs vs 10 ruptures would have been a much better final ...

just saying.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #88 on: 20 Jun 2011, 13:42 »

To be quite honest, when I was watching the match, I didn't quite approve of it. However, while I generally do not approve griefing, all the tears in the forums are very well worth having a boring final match. Is it me, or did HYDRA and Outbreak get more butthurt out of the community in 15 minutes of the match than the DDOS for a few hours of downtime?

It is true, but not really surprising. This is sports and twenty eight thousand spectators is not insignificant (even if it is ultimately about Internet spaceships). Can you imagine the Champion's League finalists throwing the final game for some reason? There would be rioting and quite likely people dead at the end of it all (even if it is ultimately about kicking a leather ball).

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #89 on: 20 Jun 2011, 13:52 »

The next time this happens, we could always take a page from the Romans and make the match interesting by making it ridiculous.

Exchange the FCs to their respective former opponents 1 minute before the match actually begins.

An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]