Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Sabik's Sepsis is a blood disease that rarely lasts into adulthood, but is considered sacrilege when it does? (The Burning Life, pp. 20,21)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Alliance Tournament  (Read 11350 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Alliance Tournament
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2011, 08:40 »

The IRED fight from the other side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPgdPEgc1Fk

Cheiftan

• Clonejack
« Reply #31 on: 30 May 2011, 12:29 »

Hope you don't mind, but a couple of comments--FCing from a logi is hard on a good day, on a tourney day it's unpossible.  Too much going on, too many nerves, and you have too much to handle.  Let one of your DPS guys call the shots and advise him as things go (I force someone else to FC the match I'm flying in unless I'm in a point-and-shoot boat; ewar, logi, or anything requiring above-average manual piloting is a no-go)!  Also, they did exactly what I would have--pulsed MWD to leave you trailing when trying to orbit.  Drops his transversal to close to 0 (in the video you can see it drop into low double digits a few times for one of the Machs).  Manually pilot that baby! 

In any case, you came up against a pretty nasty setup for what you were running.  I'm not sure how you could have beaten that with your setup, not to say your setup was bad--just that the double Machariel+tackle setup is a pretty rough counter for anything that has to engage from less than 20km.  I'm glad we didn't come up against it--keeping alive while TDing those Machariels would probably have proven close to impossible given the fact that you can't exactly outrange their DPS inside an arena that small.

Thank you for your input, it was our first ever ally tourny fight so its apreciated

From the logi point of view, thats isnt me FCing That was the loki Pilots, i do feel we could have won this fight if we didnt make the errors we did, the most obvious being me trying to orbit a mach that was pinned, we took point of him and suddenly im in a world of pain.

Also we had that second mach pinned but the tackle went after the last sabre, this allowed that mach to pull away which was the end of our last loki. if we kept all the tackle on the mach im sure the loki orbiting could have kept enough trasnversal to take him down.

All in all was a good fight and an excellent learning exsperience.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2011, 16:10 »

Ahh, okay.  And yeah, watching both sides of that video it looks like it was very intense.   :)

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2011, 11:07 »

http://www.eveonline.com/en/tournament/prequalround2
Well no RP vs RP matches in pre-qual round 2. So good luck guys :P

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2011, 13:07 »

I'm pretty annoyed with the 'seeding' they are doing. This swiss chess-tournament style rankings is complete nonsense. 

That being said should be a lot of fun matchups. Only comment I have right now is Babylon 5 were renters in Querious before we booted them out, IRED shouldn't expect too much trouble from them.

Long as we all get a few kills I think the majority of the RP block will get to the televised round! woo!

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2011, 15:18 »

I'm pretty annoyed with the 'seeding' they are doing. This swiss chess-tournament style rankings is complete nonsense. 

Swiss ranking is great, but not for a 2-round tournament, needs 5+ rounds imo.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2011, 15:52 »

Swiss ranking is great, but not for a 2-round tournament, needs 5+ rounds imo.

We should have a chess tourny

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2011, 16:04 »

Aye, it just seems to almost reward mediocrity of performance.  Kill a few ships get a decent score, then paste the floor with your next opponents to secure the ten-man slot.

I can promise a few teams that went 5-0 last round are going to lose the next round and not make it, while some mediocre teams will muddle through onto the televised event.

*shrug*

Cheiftan

• Clonejack
« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2011, 16:24 »

I agree silas

What this means is that the top 28 will fight each other, only 14 teams will go through with 2 wins, 14 others will be done on points, providing I-RED gets a full 62.5 points we have a very good chance of getting through.

It should be done on an avrage perfomance over a series of multiple matches.

Anyways i would like to wish you all the best of luck in all your matches, lets show them suckers "LOLplayers" can kick some serious back side  :twisted:.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 31 May 2011, 16:36 »

Aye, it just seems to almost reward mediocrity of performance.  Kill a few ships get a decent score, then paste the floor with your next opponents to secure the ten-man slot.

I can promise a few teams that went 5-0 last round are going to lose the next round and not make it, while some mediocre teams will muddle through onto the televised event.

*shrug*

Honestly, I'm not sure you could call it rewarding mediocrity.  The match we drew against Black Legion was one of the harder pairings we could have faced.  I fully expect them to be on the bubble for qualifying after their second match.  Without meaning to sound too self-absorbed, I don't think there was much mediocre about either team in that pairing, but the outcome on paper was "mediocre". 

And you are absolutely right that teams that earned 62.5 points in round one will lose and not advance.  There are 32 teams with 1 win right now.  16 of those will earn a guaranteed berth with a second win, leaving 16 teams 1-1 and opening 12 spots to 1-1 teams.  Without double checking the standings, there are 27ish teams that scored full points in their first match.  So 5 that won without full points.  Which means 2.5 teams will advance with less than a perfect win in their first round (2.5 because there is one matchup between a 62.5 point team and a <62.5 point team).  After that, the remaining 11.5 spots will be fought over between the 16 first-day winners/second-day losers and the 16 second-day winners/first-day losers.  And obviously while the 62.5 headstarts going into day 2 will have a significant advantage, a shutout or heavy loss could result in failure to advance.  Similarly, a win like ours (37.5 points) leaves us in a very precarious position going into the next round.  If we don't win, we need to go down with guns blazing and pray that quite a few other teams simply fail to score points.  The most we could possibly finish with if we go 1-1 is 85.5 points, which is a very small 13 point margin ahead of the 62.5 shutout wins.  And that would be a best-case, extremely unlikely scenario.  More likely we wind up with 70-80 if we wind up in a bloody slugfest that we lose.

Not that I've spent a lot of time analyzing the standings and possible permutations of the second weekend or anything.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 05 Jun 2011, 13:24 »

Congras to SF, UK, and ourselves on our wins, sorry IRED :( CVA I hope you can make the bubble.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jun 2011, 13:51 »

Some brutal fights out there this year. :O
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 05 Jun 2011, 14:25 »

The 5 man gangs make nice lil slug matches.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #43 on: 05 Jun 2011, 14:47 »

The 5 man gangs make nice lil slug matches.

I'm sure someone will smack me with a halibut for saying this, but I like the 5-man setups. Its kind of like the difference between in-game battles between skirmishing fleets and 1v1 frigate fights. They both take skill, strategy and guts, but the latter one is over in a few seconds of savage bullet-spraying.

Sometimes the larger AT battles kinda... drag on way beyond my attention span. >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:47 »

Our FC DCed before the fight  :lol:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6