Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sarum family is known for being the most belligerent royal family?

Author Topic: The ILF fiction contest  (Read 2463 times)

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
The ILF fiction contest
« on: 18 May 2011, 13:44 »

The Intaki Liberation Front is pleased to announce it's first ever fiction writing contest. A grand total of $500 million isk is being set aside to be paid out to winners The contest will continue until these funds are exhausted.

The Rules:
1. Pieces should be the original work of the author, previously unpublished pieces prefered.

2. Stories must be in English.

3. Stories should take place within the Intaki sovereignty established by ILF fiction. For references see the Intaki origins page ( http://ilfcorp.com/colonies-origin.html ) and the links contained within it. Additional references to the setting can be found at http://www.arcadianewsnetwork.net/.

Winners will be posted at the ILF corporate website and be considered factual RP references by the ILF, its alliance and its allies. Prize payouts will be awarded based on the length and quality of the piece.

Submissions can me made directly as a reply to this topic. If the piece exists somewhere else, a link to it should be made in reply to this topic.

I look forward to seeing what life you breathe into the setting!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: The ILF fiction contest
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2011, 13:48 »

Great to see you up to stuff, Saxon.  Also, I think I will be participating.  :)  Looking for worldbuilding stuff from what I read here...  Do you have a cut-off date for submissions or any word count limits/weight classes?

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2011, 14:05 »

You've got the gist of it, Ken. I'd like to get more people involved in fleshing things out.

There is no official cut off date. If I like something, I'll have it added to the ILF site and pay the author.

There is no length limit. In my time as a professor and editor, I've found that arbitrary minimums and maximums have a tendency to hurt the overall quality.

That being said, the pay will be based on length and quality, with more emphasis on the latter. Longer isn't necessarily better.

jake lanks

• Clonejack
The Spy
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2011, 11:20 »

Constellation MK7-AO
35-RK9 IX - Moon 4
Intaki Syndicate Bureau

The thirty-year-old smuggler pilot of the Kestrel ‘Uranos’ had just lost his last isk in a pre-doomed roll of dice. He downed the wine from his glass and thumped it hard on the table; then stood up smiling ironically and bowed to the other smugglers in the ‘Cartel’ bar. Bumping constantly on tables and chairs, he staggered towards the exit. With difficulty, he managed to cross the raucous room, which was packed to the gunwales with smoke, hammered mercenaries, pirates and horess. Horess that helped the lightheaded from the booze pilots empty their pockets in a matter of minutes, without them realizing a thing. A simple lascivious smile was enough, which promised a lot but gave back nothing in the end.

The pilot fumbled on the wall and pressed the exit-button. The small green light flickered momentarily and the heavy door opened; he stepped outside and the rush of the night breeze on his face somewhat helped him to recover from the dizziness of the drink.

Darkness had fallen, grey clouds were travelling across the starry sky, and the airfield was deserted. His blurry eyes fell on the few docked spacecrafts. Damn! No sight of Aiolus ship yet. Which means I’m gonna have to spend a third night in that shabby inn. This is not my lucky day.

He walked hurriedly now, as the rain that had started falling became relentlessly heavier. He tightened his ragged, dark-coloured flight jacket and put his hands in the pockets, trying to fight the biting cold. He glanced fleetingly towards the airfield once more, in case Aiolus ship showed up –a forlorn hope– and turned right in a narrow alley, vertical to the infamous Beam Street, with an expression of disappointment on his face. As he moved on, a feeling of being followed overwhelmed him; one that he had had since he had left Atar’s bar, the ‘Cartel’. Gradually, he slackened his pace and gripped carefully his gun. He took some more steps forward and suddenly turned around, determined to confront whatever emerged from the darkness. Then the pilot burst into a booming laughter, that reverberated throughout the streets of 35-RK9 IX. The enemy he had to face was a drenched brownish puppy, wagging its tale playfully. He kneeled down and stroked its head.

‘You must be the only creature in New Eden seeking my company,’ he said.

‘You ‘re too hard on yourself, smuggler! We love you too.’

The pilot turned his head astounded to the direction where the harsh voice had sounded from, while the dog started barking like crazy.

‘Who said that?’ he asked nervously, unable to make out anything through the gloom and the heavy rainfall.

‘Your conscience,’ the voice answered. At the same time, a flash of lightning tore the sky, illuminating the alley for a few seconds. The pilot’s experienced eyes managed to distinguish three hefty men, armed with guns.

‘Who are you? What do you want of me?’ he shouted, incapable of seeing their faces, merely their shapes.

‘You own your life, smuggler! Recon says your debt comes to almost thirty thousand isk; and unfortunately for you, you must pay up now.’

‘I know that, you scumbag. But I’m a man of honour and I’ll pay my debt soon as I return from my journey to Jita. Recon didn’t have to send his goons to scare me.’
‘Shut your trap, *****! I’ve had enough of you. Pay up right now and I might spare your pathetic life. Just don’t forget, we know you’re mixed up in affairs of no concern to you.’

The pilot did not answer, just lowered his head and smirked. So that’s why you want my head, you scumbags. Very well. If that’s what you want, that’s what you’ll get! He seized his gun in one hand and his knife in the other. Then, ducking abruptly, he threw the knife towards the figure he could see more clearly. He got him right to the heart. The tall man bellowed a choking cry, reeled backwards and collapsed on the ground.

‘Goddamn you! Tonight you die.’

He turned like a flash to the direction of the shout and fired a shot in the dark. Luck was on his side, for the bullet struck the stranger’s head. He regained his balance and raised his gun again. One more and I’m free. I haven’t lost my skill. At that moment, he heard a faint creak and looked suspiciously from the corner of his eye at the building towering next to him. The next instant a shot was heard.

The pilot felt a warm pinch on the chest and stared at his jacket, which started to become red from the thick blood. He fell on his knees and the gun dropped from his hand. For sure, this is not my lucky day.

The puppy came out of its hiding place, an old piece of some machine, and approached reluctantly the dead pilot. It sat down next to him and started whining. Then, two strong arms picked up the little animal and it found itself in a warm lap.

‘You are the only witness, boy. You better come with me.We have to explain why a member of ILF is dead."

The answer is simple, he was a undercover Gallantean spy, I'm sure Bataav will undertstand...

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 22:10 »

Nihilitics 100*

Ah, I see we have a packed house!  Well, I-- Wait, they're telling people this course is a requisite again aren't they?

I guess so.

For what?  Advanced Nonexistence 201?

[scattered laughter]

Well it's good that you're here anyway.  I'll save you the trouble taking any further time to arrive at the conclusion all freshmen eventually do when they take this--[cough] or any--course: my class is about nothing, really. 

[laughter]

And I am nobody. [the lights go completely dark]

[whispers, sporadic noise from the students moving slightly in the dark]

Do you hear that?

[quiet]

I could have sworn I almost heard something there. [the lights begin to raise dimly]

Just at the very edge of consciousness when it was totally dark. [the lights raise further and the professor is no longer on stage]

From the back of the auditorium: Did you hear it? [it's the professor; the students turn in their seats to look back at him]

The human body has a remarkable aptitude for adaptation.  When we take away one sense, in this case vision, the other senses automatically attune and compensate for the loss.  In the dark we may suddenly hear and perceive things that were previously just background noise.  Our ears build a model of the world based on pitch and volume to substitute for the visual one of depth and brightness.

Before the age of advanced cybernetic implantation, there were people who lived their entire lives completely bereft of one or more senses.  [he continues, walking slowly through the auditorium down toward the stage]  Such people, like the congenitally blind, were known to possess particularly accute yet unaided hearing, and their other senses were heighened as well.  In the dark, touch means so much more, doesn't it?  The cold firmness of a metal railing in a darkened stairwell, the welcoming pliancy of your bed as you fall asleep at night, the warm brush of a lover's body against your fingertips.  These things are so much more detailed, so much more present, so much more real because your sensation is that much more focused.

This class is about learning how to do the same thing with your conscious mind.  It is about focusing your thoughts to achieve heightened understanding.

You must first understand the world in order to transcend it, and the deeper your understanding the more complete and geniune will be your transformation.  You will come to know a great deal.  Some of you may be convinced that you will know everything.  [polite laughter]  But in the end what you must realize is that for all the wealth of your studies and the sophistication of your thoughts, you know nothing.  What do I mean?  With that discovery you will be truly prepared for the next stage in your studies and your lives.

Let's begin.

~

*Intaki Philosophical Academy

Founded on the Intaki homeworld only a few years before the establishment of the Gallente Federation as the Raravindra Kaatara School, what was to become the Intaki Philosophical Academy began as a private institution for training religious scholars of the planet's Ida traditions.  Like many modern university-level schools, it was initially created to fill an economic need and hopefully make money for its founders and investors.  Like few, however, it soon found a calling and a mission that transcended mere financial utility.

In the aftermath of the Gallente-Caldari War, the failures of the Ultranationalist regime, and the exile of many ethnic Intaki citizens to deep space, the homeworld was searching again for its cultural and spiritual identity amid the pieces of a shattered universe.  In this context the small religious school recast itself as an institute dedicated to studying, understanding, and preventing such immense failures of interstellar politics and diplomacy from ever occurring again.  The cornerstone of this endeavor was the application of Ida thought, of spiritual tenets, to worldly problems.

Thus the school was reborn as the Intaki Philosophical Academy, expanded and eventually relaunched as a public university with funds from the Intaki Assembly.  Today, the Intaki are known for their large representation in the ranks of bureaucrats, diplomats, and mediators in the Federation and beyond.  No small part of that is owed to the homeworld's robust educational resources for students of interstellar relations and the humanities, at the heart of which lies the IPA.

Students attending university at one of the Academy's campuses received a unique education with practical social sciences interlaced at every level with metaphysical labs and programs designed to challenge the student's most basic assumptions and expand their worldview.  The objective is to produce graduates who are capable of functioning effectively and impartially in nearly any social dynamic at any level of business or public service.  IPA graduates are abundant in the Federation's judicial system and Supreme Court, and students of its rigorous Transhuman Studies specialized degree program have become coveted assets throughout the cluster for their insights into the capsuleer world.

The Academy's original campus remains in use today, located in the southern hemisphere of Intaki Prime on the Rhe-Thea peninsula not far from Mount Yasur.  Satellite campuses have been opened in many major cities on the homeworld and the IPA offers some of its basic course catalog as correspondence education packages for students studying spaceside or abroad in other nations.  In all things, dating from its days as a religious school, the Academy's more than 200-year old motto guides its decisions and curriculum: the journey's first step is to find the middle path.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 10:12 by Ken »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2011, 10:01 »

Two good entries so far and Ken's in particular is an example of what I am looking for.

450 million isk in prize money remains.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2011, 16:30 »

Still working on something, Saxon.

Varlerian

• Your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur
  • Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2011, 22:09 »

Hmm, writing a PF-ish story about a faction I never really delve into...give me a week or so and I'll see what I can churn out =P

Ellis Croix

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:59 »

I keep forgetting about this!   :eek:  I'll whip something up here in a day or so.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:30 »

My life has been hectic with some weddings in close proximity, but I think I have a good idea for a story.

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
  • "I cannot live without books"
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:57 »

I have something to offer; it's still only in idea form, but it's already made its way onto paper, so  that's a start. Once Vaanin k'Intaki is finished, I'll work on posting that here.

Art