Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aging?  (Read 3050 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Aging?
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2011, 04:34 »

The  lowest grade clones don't even use your DNA.  They are reanimated cadavers with cosmetic surgery made to look like you.

Reanimated cadavars: luxury!

When I was a young'un it was all biological soup made from hosing down the killing chain floor.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2011, 07:30 »

PF is quite clear that in the Eve world there is a huge difference between the lives of richest and poorest, haves and have-nots. I imagine the poor may not live much longer than people do today, and sometimes even have shorter lifespans due to harsh conditions. The rich, on the other hand, live for a quite long time and stay healthy much longer as mentioned in this thread.

I do not know of any PF mentions of what happens to a clone body (a reanimated cadaver if the buyer is rich, something cobbled together from plankton or cow carcasses if they're poor) over years; how closely does it resemble a "real" body?

I have played that a clone ages normally, and that a high-grade clone functions in most day-to-day ways like a real body - a clone can eat, smell of sweat, have a cold or get out of shape. No physical enhancements or ability to have posthumous offspring by natural means, though.

There is also no PF reference for it that I know of, but I have played that a capsuleer's clone by default is made to resemble in visible age and features - such as tattoos - how the capsuleer looked at their last clone update medical examination by the cloning company. (Or examination by cloning company-approved staff and equipment - I have also played that cloning companies are quite finicky about how body features are documented to avoid lawsuits from cloned capsuleers. Imagine the hue and cry if you botched a Minmatar client's tattoos... ;) )

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2011, 08:19 »

I think it's pretty obvious that capsuleers aren't going to die through aging thanks to cloning. It's likely we're going to tackle some major hurdles in aging in our RL lifetimes, so hell yes there are going to be lots of options in the Eve universe.

« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 10:43 by GoGo Yubari »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2011, 10:41 »

I do not know of any PF mentions of what happens to a clone body (a reanimated cadaver if the buyer is rich, something cobbled together from plankton or cow carcasses if they're poor) over years; how closely does it resemble a "real" body?

There's a couple of tiny snippets from the Amarr epic arc, which possibly help here.

There's a clone, constructed from a special high quality form of biomass, rather than standard clone cultivation materials. The reason behind this is so that the clone is not detectable as a clone by non-destructive medical examination.

So this seems to say that:
1. Most clones can be detected as being clones.
2. Medical examination methods that can determine if someone is a clone are fairly common, but not foolproof.
3. The very best clones are fully capable of passing for human.
\o/

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2011, 11:17 »

There's a clone, constructed from a special high quality form of biomass, rather than standard clone cultivation materials. The reason behind this is so that the clone is not detectable as a clone by non-destructive medical examination.

Interesting! Any hints as to who these kind of clones might be accessible to? (Capsuleers or not?)

Edited to add: Also, do you happen to have access to the original text? I am asking because I would like to have it included to Elsebeth's PF compilation about clones and cloning: http://www.electusmatari.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=8599
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 11:25 by Isobel Mitar »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2011, 11:38 »

Interesting! Any hints as to who these kind of clones might be accessible to? (Capsuleers or not?)

Well, in the specific arc, they are a plot by some [spoiler]Sansha's nation[/spoiler] people to meddle in Amarrian holder politics.

It seems to be a bit like it's special materials that would not normally be available off the shelf. But to someone with the right knowledge, it would be.

Maybe a bit like the difference between going into a shop and buying a dress, and talking to a designer and having a dress made.

Original text can be found in Myyona/Jowen's excellent epic arc guide:
http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/jowen/Amarr_Epic_Arc_guide_by_Jowen_Datloran_v1.0.pdf

\o/

Xav Serise

• Clonejack
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2011, 12:17 »

Thank you folks! All of these responses have been great in helping me get my bearings. :D
Pages: 1 [2]