Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Author Topic: Caldari Prisoners of War  (Read 2830 times)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Caldari Prisoners of War
« on: 12 May 2011, 11:39 »

Does any one have the item description for these saved? When I search for it IG I get a 'no legitimate item type' response, but I remember (and Lou's list in the marketplace confirms) they did once exist.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Caldari Prisoners of War
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 11:43 »

All of these Caldari P.O.Ws show the signs of appalling treatment over an extended period of time. Even the most well-off are still suffering from starvation and serious malnourishment. The worst of them are barely alive after enduring sleep deprivation, physical abuse and other more excessive forms of torture. The women in particular, have not fared well under their Gallente jail masters, who have remorselessly taken whatever they desired from their captured prey.
\o/

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 11:44 »

My favourite space nun to the rescue \o/
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Vieve

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 13:56 »

I still hate this description.

As we've all read the Federation's a pretty egalitarian place (or at least it claims to be).  Wouldn't both male and female Caldari prisoners be subjected to 'remorseless' attention?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 15:49 »

The more excessive forms being fashion advice or even worse... their makeup.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2011, 17:28 »

Having an egalitarian appearance does not mean that, when things get down to their worst, reversion to primitive brutal forms won't occur.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2011, 18:20 »

I also thought the description was a bit "eh" in the sense that it just seemed to demonize the Gallente instantly with no shades of grey in the equation. The Gallentean public would never tolerate that.

Instead, I saught to explain it in my head as the fact that you acquire the POWs at a Federation Navy detention center deep in Black Rise. Since it's so far from the mainland, then the level of accountability and command oversight is reduced, allowing these things to take place.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2011, 18:27 »

I also thought the description was a bit "eh" in the sense that it just seemed to demonize the Gallente instantly with no shades of grey in the equation. The Gallentean public would never tolerate that.

Instead, I saught to explain it in my head as the fact that you acquire the POWs at a Federation Navy detention center deep in Black Rise. Since it's so far from the mainland, then the level of accountability and command oversight is reduced, allowing these things to take place.

You apparently have great faith in the citizens of a liberal democracy to withstand propaganda from their own elected leaders regarding the appropriate treatment of prisoners. Human nature and recent (as well as historical) events do not support your conclusion.

Also, you may interpret the phrase "shades of grey" differently than I do, because this seems to me like the epitome of ambiguous moral relativity. That is, this describes the effects only. I suspect that their captors would present arguments regarding why their prisoners merit this treatment, either because the prisoners "deserve" it, or because the resulting good outweighs the necessary bad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 18:36 »

I doubt any Gallentean citizen finding out that the servicemen and women protecting their borders and ideals is raping women in their spare time would react with anything but vindication and anger. It's said the armed forces of the Feds are expected to comply to "high moral standards", at least by the Black Eagles chron.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 18:46 »

See above. Or perhaps you have forgotten Abu Ghraib.

Human nature won't change in twenty thousand years, sadly.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 22:25 »

Those kind of crimes against humanity are a pretty much a consequence of war.  The only way you really survive the reality of war, where youre killing your fellow human, is to dehumanize them.  If you dont, you go crazy.

But once you dehumanize them, its much easier to do those kind of things to them.  This is pretty universal, across cultures and countries, those some cases are worse than others.   

There's really no such thing as a "good" war.  Its all pretty terrible.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2011, 03:22 »

Lets not forget that a democracy does not have to be just nor 'good'. Another example for democracies completely overreacting to perceived threats can be found in the internment of japanese in us america during the second world war ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_internment_camp ) or the 'purgings' during the red scare of the cold war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism).

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2011, 07:17 »

I doubt any Gallentean citizen finding out that the servicemen and women protecting their borders and ideals is raping women in their spare time would react with anything but vindication and anger. It's said the armed forces of the Feds are expected to comply to "high moral standards", at least by the Black Eagles chron.

I do not think there is a conflict between the "item" text and the the what the chronicle says is the expectation.

It is likely, when these camps were discovered, the Dove-aligned media outlets decried it and said it was a loss of the moral high ground.  The Hawk-aligned outlets were likely quick to point out that it was the failure of a few officers to control their troops and that the military is still held to a higher standard than the rest of society.  The men and their supervisor may have been charged and sentenced and then the media stopped caring entirely, moving on to some starlet's 16th arrest for possession of Cartel-brand drugs.

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2011, 16:19 »

I think I saw a long time ago someone, perhaps one of the CCP content writers, mentioning in an interview that the Gallente Federation is supposed to be like a caricature of a democracy and that players generally tend to take what has been written too seriously. Just look at how corrupted all key people have been, the amount of deception, fraud, etc.

In my interpretation, the description of an average Gallentean as a blue-eyed idealist is supposed to indicate that they are easily deceived by their corrupt system. From this point of view, the atrocities are like a natural part of the landscape. There's nothing wrong with playing a righteous space knight, but I don't see why the concept would really be a defining quality for any of the factions, including the Federation.