Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Author Topic: A change of heart  (Read 2289 times)

Damien Nikias

• Clonejack
A change of heart
« on: 11 May 2011, 12:59 »

So, for the last 3 days I have been trying to figure out who my character is and where he comes from, what his passions are, his goals, what is he like. Damien started out as a Navy Academy graduate with a military mindset, I thought "Yeah whatever that is just fine, off we go pewpew!" and now after working on what kind of a person I want him to be, it just doesnt feel right. I want him to have a passion for creation, to build things and discover new ways to do it. I want him to be a hard working bloke with roots in mining industry due to his parents, with hopes of spreading democratic values through other means than a gunbarrel. There is more, but I wont get into it all now. I guess this is what you get for rushing into a game and creating a character without giving any serious thought of what you want him to be. So now I'm sitting here, with a picture in my mind of someone who wouldnt end up in the Navy and spend his first 3 days as a podpilot honing his combat skills by blowing Caldari and Serpentis ships out of the sky. I want him to graduate out of a different school and I want to do things he as a character would. So I am concidering of remaking him and I have a problem. Now I dont mind throwing those 3 days out of the window to get him off the right foot now that I know what I want to do, no, the problem is that I have had a few brief IC exchanges with other characters, mainly Lilen (I think her name was) from FEDRO, and I want to keep the name because I really like it and its usually hard for me to find a good one that is not taken. So I want a honest oppinion from you people, is it ok to remake a character and keep the name? Would this screw things up IC for others (mainly you Lilen if you are reading this)? Would this leave a bad impression of me as a player and perhaps even my charactger? I dont want to start off on a bad foot with people in the community.

P.S I have given some thoughts on how I could integrate the military part with how I now imagine him but it just screws things up for me and I cant find any IC justification for it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: A change of heart
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2011, 13:17 »

I did this about six weeks ago -- needed to restart a character for various reasons after a few weeks and did so. I mentioned it first to the folks involved so they wouldn't freak out, and it's been fine.

Vieve

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2011, 13:24 »

It's just three days.  I suspect you won't have a problem if you take Casi's advice and chat things over with the folks you scened with.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2011, 13:32 »

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to biomass Damien and "reroll" a new character using the same name with a different background.  It'd also be perfectly acceptable to explain that the Navy Academy had you doing things you weren't really willing to do and by turning away from the casual violence it encourages, use the last several days of combat tutorials and missions as IC motivation for Damien to seek 'redemption'.

Damien Nikias

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2011, 13:47 »

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to biomass Damien and "reroll" a new character using the same name with a different background.  It'd also be perfectly acceptable to explain that the Navy Academy had you doing things you weren't really willing to do and by turning away from the casual violence it encourages, use the last several days of combat tutorials and missions as IC motivation for Damien to seek 'redemption'.

I did think about something similar to what you are suggesting Ken and what was nagging me about it is, shaping him in my mind like I have, he would not end up enlisting into the Navy in the first place. He is not anti-military, its just that I dont see him taking such a step.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2011, 13:56 »

Well, it may be worth keeping in mind that being trained in capsuleer flight by the Federal Navy Academy does not mean a character is an officer in the Federation Navy.  In fact, there is no way for player characters to directly associate themselves with the faction navies (the militias have separate chains of command).  It's possible that the FNA offered to train Damien in pod piloting (a skill that very few people in New Eden have the genes and mental flexibility to learn), and he took them up on it since the Center for Advanced Studies and/or Caille University weren't interested for whatever reason.  That's only one way to explain it, but if you really want to have a different academy corp on his employment record, you're only losing a few days' training time with a "reroll".

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2011, 15:52 »

Yea, being offered a capsuleer scholarship is like winning lottery only better and less likely.  Yea, it's likely that if one wants you because you hit all the  right check marks that the others will too, but that might not be something a baseline being offered godhood would be willing to risk.

Also the Federal Government wants to keep a parity with the Caldari and might not take a polite 'no thank you' as an answer.

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2011, 16:30 »

Also the Federal Government wants to keep a parity with the Caldari and might not take a polite 'no thank you' as an answer.

A rookie, appreciative pilot could've very easily been bullied/pressured in to working for the military after his recent elevation to capsuleer status... until -- after 3 days -- he realised the words of a feeble non-pod administrator were meaningless to him.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2011, 19:12 »

So, a little more character development?  What is Damien's past?  Does he come from a line of those who served in the Federal Navy and attending the Navy's Academy was just something the family does?

More than a few people attend military academies simply because it is expected of them!  They get there, hate it, some leave and become estranged from a parent for doing so!

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 01:16 »

I personally would have no problem with a player explaining that they had changed their mind about their background and re-rolling the character.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 05:45 »

Maybe you can put it down to being one of the things you do not know why Damien did. I have found it perfectly fine to let my characters have some part of their past that is mostly unknown to me and not immediatly have an explaination for all their actions.

Myyona was in Thukker Mix for many years before becomming more Sisters of EVE alligned. I took me quite a while before I figured out the motivations for that shift.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2011, 07:02 »

I personally would have no problem with a player explaining that they had changed their mind about their background and re-rolling the character.

I've done this about a dozen times over the last year, not because I wanted to change the character but in order to bring the background more in line with the PF. Turns out EVE doesn't have demons after all  <.< >.>

EDIT: it does, however, have plenty of delusional, brain damaged, or psychotic individuals.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2011, 07:22 »

I was gonna say, have you met Camille Roth? >:)

Damien Nikias

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 15:01 »

I'v given this and the suggestions posted here some extra thought and decided to go ahead with the reroll. Thanks for all the answers and suggestions folks.