Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 9/11 and the invasion of Luminaire  (Read 4719 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: 9/11 and the invasion of Luminaire
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2011, 15:37 »

I think the invasion of Luminaire is indeed best compared to an occupation of a city/region, rather than a terrorist attack on a set of symbolically meaningful and tragically people-bustling buildings. I think Seri was talking more about the emotional impact of the thing though than its exact definitions.

Which brings me to something I've talked about with a few euros in regards to 9/11.

There's a general sense of what the US did afterward being rather uncalled for in a lot of people (and I would certainly agree on at least the case of the Iraqi invasion), but I also think a lot of euros espousing such views are not able to put themselves in the shoes of a citizen of a nation that was thus attacked. Having raised this counterpoint, I've often heard the argument that not every nation would respond to such a national crisis in a similar way.

I would certainly agree with that too and I am not entirely sure how my own country would respond in such an event, but to finally address the point of the OP : I don't think copy-pasting the American mentality on top of the Federation is appropriate here. I don't see the Federation as an America analogue.  Hence, I'm leery about saying that the mental impact of 9/11 is a good analogue for the mental impact concerning the invasion of Luminaire, either.

Vieve

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2011, 03:46 »

Half Cocked Jack

• Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2011, 15:14 »

Sorry for all the flak you caught, Seriphyn. As a United States citizen, I feel can safely say that it is far overdue that we stop treating 9/11 with such delicacy. There is no place for white gloves in history...unless you are dealing with decayed paper artifacts. That said, I don't think the comparison is very apt for a couple of reasons:

1. Many to most Americans had never heard of al-Qaeda before 9/11, whereas the Gallente population was aware that a big ole Caldari state existed out there that--while not in open conflict--was definitely not cuddly.

2. A professional military invasion followed by ongoing occupancy is quite a bit different than single-shot suicide bombing.

If I had to pick an event in Western history to sit next to the Luminaire Invasion for comparison--and this is still a bit of a stretch--I'd pick Pearl Harbor. Nobody was expecting an attack, but the stage was set for it as relations were going sour. It thrust both countries into a huge, prolonged conflict. Granted, the Japanese did not occupy Oahu...but they did go on to occupy some other territories (Guam, the Philippines, Wake...). Also, I can imagine Foritain's response being something like this.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2011, 15:28 »

Another terrorist leader has been killed!

I laughed so much at the comments under this article.

That article was win, pure and simple.

And yeah, I lol'ed at the comments too.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2011, 16:13 »

Another terrorist leader has been killed!

I laughed so much at the comments under this article.

That article was win, pure and simple.

And yeah, I lol'ed at the comments too.

epic
Pages: 1 2 [3]