Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 9/11 and the invasion of Luminaire  (Read 4717 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: 9/11 and the invasion of Luminaire
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2011, 10:34 »

You missed the point Laerise. Maybe I still have difficulties to see where Seri is going with that comparison, he was only comparing the people reaction after the 9/11 to the one after the caldari attack. The similarities are in the fact nobody was expecting that, and they were deeply shocked (and still are). In a time of peace.

WW2 carpet bombings on german and english cities are a totally different thing, taking place in a war. I am not sure we are comparing "genocides" here.

My point regarding the inappropriate comparisons stands. It has nothing to do with people contemplating events in an online game, but with the  tendency of Seriphyn to compare game events to real life events - and the trivialisation of the later in some of those cases.

However, if we consider the alternative you just proposed then not only the invasion/reclaiming of caldary prime might be counted amongst those goundshaking events, but also the elder's assault on CONCORD and the minmatar raids against amarrian core worlds.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2011, 10:37 by Laerise [PIE] »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2011, 11:10 »

How about not comparing everything we do to a RL event? It's EVE, not Earth's Matrix.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2011, 12:58 »

How about not comparing everything we do to a RL event? It's EVE, not Earth's Matrix.
The Matrix is real?  If so, I think it is analogous to the surge in Iraq.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2011, 13:09 »

Seri, the thing they have in common is maybe that they were unexpected shocking events.

What's 9/11 for you might not be 9/11 for somebody else. I personally find events like the Rwandan genocide much more shocking than the 3,000 deaths that were caused by 9/11.

Since such things might be different for everyone, and many of those events are sensitive issues for many people, I don't thing comparing those things in the emotional sense is any good.

As far as a factual comparison of 9/11 to a actual EVE event, I think the ramming of Alexander Noir's Nyx into the Ishukone HQ is much more reminscent of 9/11.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2011, 13:54 »

Prehaps picking a RL event that is still fresh in the hearts and minds of the people that it affected was not a wise choice. There are a ton of atrocities to choose from in human history that you can choose from that aren't emotionally tied to our current generation.

Prehaps the invasion of Poland during WWII with the blitz would be suitable example imo.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2011, 16:39 »

Wow.

The amount of trashing of Seri for a fairly innocuous comparison is really unfair.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #21 on: 05 May 2011, 00:21 »

Wow.

The amount of trashing of Seri for a fairly innocuous comparison is really unfair.

It seems people still get emotional about the 9/11 event, and dont like it being compared to a fictional in-game event.

I dont think Seri was trying to factually compare the evrents, but try to demonstrate how an event and cause a servere emotional reaction in people that lived though it or was around at the time that it happened.

The OOC reference to this event, and not to the fire bombings in Poland, were most likely due to the fact that Seri did not live though those events, like many of us on this board.

I dont see anything wrong with trying to make IRL connections to in game events if it will help you to try understand the complexities of a situation. Hes not saying that the in-game event is factually like 9/11, but the emotional reaction that the populace may have might be similar. If it helps Seri, or others, to understand the fictional world by looking at real life emotional reactions that people have, whats the problem?

The reaction displayed here by people trying to have a go at him, unfairly, because he is trying to rationalise and understand an emotional response in a fictional world is unwarrented.

Nowhere did I see him trying to trivialise the 9/11 attack.

It sort of drives home the point he was making for me.

Edit: A common response to the Caldari/Gallente conflict is "it was justified" or "get over it". Try saying that to someone who has been affected by any modern conflict IRL and see their reaction.

« Last Edit: 05 May 2011, 00:37 by Graanvlokkie »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2011, 01:23 »

I fully agree with Graanvlokkie up there.

Trying to get to the correct negative emotions and irrational thinking displayed by the Gallente and Caldari it can be necessary to let you inspire by reactions to real world events. This is by no means a way of putting similarity between real and fictional events, only in the emotions they provoke.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2011, 01:49 »

Wow.

It seems people still get emotional about the 9/11 event, and dont like it being compared to a fictional in-game event.

I dont think Seri was trying to factually compare the evrents, but try to demonstrate how an event and cause a servere emotional reaction in people that lived though it or was around at the time that it happened.

The OOC reference to this event, and not to the fire bombings in Poland, were most likely due to the fact that Seri did not live though those events, like many of us on this board.

I dont see anything wrong with trying to make IRL connections to in game events if it will help you to try understand the complexities of a situation. Hes not saying that the in-game event is factually like 9/11, but the emotional reaction that the populace may have might be similar. If it helps Seri, or others, to understand the fictional world by looking at real life emotional reactions that people have, whats the problem?

The reaction displayed here by people trying to have a go at him, unfairly, because he is trying to rationalise and understand an emotional response in a fictional world is unwarrented.

Nowhere did I see him trying to trivialise the 9/11 attack.

It sort of drives home the point he was making for me.

Edit: A common response to the Caldari/Gallente conflict is "it was justified" or "get over it". Try saying that to someone who has been affected by any modern conflict IRL and see their reaction.

Quoted for awesome.  ;)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2011, 05:38 »

Yes I agree too.

And Eve has always been directly IRL inspired. A lot of RL themes are central in Eve, and the geopolitical atmosphere is very contemporary to our world. Denying that would be going against the creative process behind the PF itself.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 05 May 2011, 06:56 »

I disagree with his proposition that the people of the Federation reacted to the TEA in the same way as the people of the United States reacted to Sept 11.

The US, with the support of its people, went after the organization the perpetrated Sept 11.

The Federation's leadership made the concession and then we got FW.

Was it a shocker that their military could not defend them?  Certainly.  Which led to the Federation building up and stomping the next invasion (one of the Amarrian Heirs).

Would a citizen in Solitude/Placid/Verge Vendor/even other parts of Essence actually care about Luminaire other than as a symbol?  Caldari Prime wasn't there home and the Titan is not directly threatening them.

What is the end goal of establishing a 3 year old emotional state for the Federation?  Do you think it will be fresh in their minds or like the United States are they more concerned with their favorite sports teams records?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 05 May 2011, 14:15 »

[mod]Feel free to disagree with the OP or any other post in the thread, but please avoid any personal attacks.[/mod]

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2011, 14:47 »

As far as a factual comparison of 9/11 to a actual EVE event, I think the ramming of Alexander Noir's Nyx into the Ishukone HQ is much more reminscent of 9/11.
I agree. This is the more like the starting point for the chain of events which led to Roden's election and still goes on.

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2011, 22:21 »

Since we also declared war on Germany the next day, Pearl Harbor would be the most appropriate analogy to the Federation's response after the invasion.  :D
FWIW, Germany declared war on the United States first, as part of their pact with Japan. The US just made it mutual to save Germany weekly ISK payments.

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
Pages: 1 [2] 3