Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A World within a Box vs. a Box within a World (Play Styles Discussion)  (Read 5633 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Louella, do you have other words you feel would be more appropriate (less biased) and still convey the essential idea?

I don't know.

World within a Box / Box within a World

I guess you could just shorten them to Worldbox or Boxworld.
\o/

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

I find your descriptions of "open" and "insular" to colour the discussion.
I chose "open" in the sense that the traits I associated to that mindset are displayed by those most likely to see the New Eden setting as an open source project (regardless of CCP's rights to the IP) or as something that is open to interpretation.  I chose "insular" to describe the mindset that PF is insulated (although not isolated) from player opinions and actions.  It is perfectly reasonable for someone to be "open-minded" and yet prefer a play style that fits more with my description of "insular".  If you have a problem with the words "insular" or "closed", I don't really know what I can do for you.  Those are the most appropriate English words I know to describe what I am attempting to describe.

Other people make things up to support whatever point they are intending to make. I am uneasy about that.
Some people do and about that I would also be uneasy.  And still, some people make things up because it is fun to do so.  "Making things up", an activity into which worldbuilding and creative reinterpretation of the PF fall, is not exclusively the domain of those who are trying to "win".  I've made up a great number of things having to do with New Eden, but I don't bring them out in order to try and prove my characters "right" in RP.  I do it because it is intellectually stimulating, constructive, and entertaining for other players.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Other people make things up to support whatever point they are intending to make. I am uneasy about that.
Some people do and about that I would also be uneasy.  And still, some people make things up because it is fun to do so.  "Making things up", an activity into which worldbuilding and creative reinterpretation of the PF fall, is not exclusively the domain of those who are trying to "win".  I've made up a great number of things having to do with New Eden, but I don't bring them out in order to try and prove my characters "right" in RP.  I do it because it is intellectually stimulating, constructive, and entertaining for other players.

I was meaning more the examples of scriptures.

e.g. I interpret the ones that exist.
Other people have created scripture verses.

You see this more often with the blood raider/sani sabik. They have 2 books named (apocryphon, book of redemption), and only 1 verse (from the apocryphon).
This is very little to go on, and some people create something that says one thing, and others create something that says something quite different.
Sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn't.

As for making things up, yes, there's lots of fun stuff you can do.
\o/

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

I was meaning more the examples of scriptures.
Ah!  Okay, understood then.

Lyn Farel

Creating pieces of scriptures ? @_@

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

Box within a world, box within a world, box within a world, box within a world...

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

(Just some Friday levity, don't mind me. :) )

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

from srs to Maru in 22 posts

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I would tend to think that what you describe, Ken, would probably be the two ends on a continuum (as I think Ulphus mentioned), with most people falling in the middle (though I suspect - again, most - would fall toward the 'open' end.)

I think the way you expressed it is accurate. That being said, it would only be one (very large) facet of how different people approach their RP.

While there are going to be certain places where the approaches would naturally conflict, I think they actually more often get along alright. It's a matter of flexibility on both sides.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Two separate responses:

1. Would the terms "Extrapolators" and "Interpolators" help?

2. I think there are two different sliders here:

A. Degree to which the EVE gameplay is real for your RP.
B. Degree to which player-generated expansion of the game world is real for your RP.

I score very high on A: if it happens in the game of EVE, it really happens. I also score quite high on B: world-building is one of the things I find most enjoyable "in"/associated with EVE, but I'm a bit selective about what I incorporate into "my" EVE-world.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Going by the latter two sliders, I'd also score very high on A with an essentially identical viewpoint to Mata's. I generally shy away from most of B, but have no real issues with others doing so for themselves as long as they recognize their world building for what it is.
Pages: 1 [2]