Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How much of your character is left without a faction?  (Read 8803 times)

Aelisha Montenagre

Re: How much of your character is left without a faction?
« Reply #45 on: 29 Aug 2013, 11:14 »

I do not feel that aligning myself, ICly, with a faction in any way diminishes the 3 dimensionality of the characters.  Solarienne is a Nation loyalist, but there are pretty much an infinite variety of degrees of loyalty, and an equally large array of reasons for comnig to the conclusion that Sansha might be right.  The main issue here is that she considers herself a part of an elite, closed society, so the public world is only gonig to see her when she is following orders.

As for Aelisha, she has a life in the State and is loyal to Suvee for their part in her citizenship being accepted, but she has views on international politics, a strong voice in the advocacy of Intaki liberation and a good degree of interest in the cluster's history, specifically post-fall civilizations and what artefacts may remain (with a cracked pot being as valuable as a semi functional technological device, as far as her interests go in that domain). 

I'd say that removing the faction from the character would diminish it nought, unless the Nation has reasons for the character being a part of it, instead of the character having reasons and history that have led to their alignment. 

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 01 Sep 2013, 23:37 »

Some details may change, but Arista would likely stay the same.  After all, my "faction loyalty" dissapears when Im ooc, no faction warfare for me.. and I do not behave too out of alignment from my character, save cursing more and perhaps being slightly lazier.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2013, 23:38 by Arista Shahni »

Denak Kalamari

• Naked Squid
  • Wetgraver
  • Failing at humor
« Reply #47 on: 01 Sep 2013, 23:58 »

I'd like to think that Denak would stay quite the same, even if the Gallente, or Intaki would disappear. But to note, he strongly identifies himself as Intaki, and the Intaki Liberation Front has helped him find a goal to pursue, without either of those he would probably be doomed to wander aimlessly, just fulfilling contracts and doing what he's been told to do without any true aim or purpose.

\   /
One Soldier // Two Faces
Grahisha of the ILF, writer of Thoughts of a Clone Soldier

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #48 on: 04 Sep 2013, 06:24 »

Reading this tread has been rather entertaining, and educational. Ty all ^^

My toon could stand on his own without his faction, but the transition might be rough.

If memory serves, I've made this clear IC and OOC before. BB is, first and foremost, a human born a raised on Intaki Prime. He's colored by that upbringing, by his experiences in life, and by all the other inputs that has shaped him to what he is. He follows a simple hierarchy or allegiance out of convenience and belief. Family->Assembly->Federation->Federal ally->Anyone else not hostile to the previous entries. Now, with his family all but extinct, that's simply one less entry in the hierarchy.

When he was young, loyalty or allegiance was not very high on his mind. Living his life, getting stuff done and enjoying his time with his friends, family and love was. When he got older things gradually changed with his perception of just how huge the Cluster is. He started to get a basic sense of loyalty to the Union, foremost through his sense of belonging to the Assembly and his home town. After his volunteer term in the marines and his enrollment in the CAS he was found to be capsule-capable, and soon took that chance with his father's blessing and financial backing.

The cluster is a large place. Having seen most of it, and studied most of it, and learned to understand most of it, his basic perception has not changed much. The opinion is and remain that the Union is the best option for the Intaki Assembly and himself, by far. The other options simply won't work for him, no matter how much they work for others. If something should happen that changes this perception of the Union, to the point where it's no longer worth being part of, that shaves of yet another entry and he's back down to one.

Ironically, should anything like this ever happen, he will likely find himself a supporter of the ILF, if only for the fact that they are the biggest and most established option supporting what he supports. Ironic, because right now, the ILF is nothing to but a collection of fools who can't see the bigger picture and get stuck up on smaller, mostly irrelevant details and a great deal of hyperbole. Getting over that might be interesting indeed.

Another interesting view could be how he copes with such a change when so much of his views on others are colored by his beliefs and allegiance. He respects loyalists regardless of Empire for what they are, but despises pirates, Sansha's, traitors and people who are narrow-minded and uneducated about other factions. How that change in such a scenario could be cool indeed, but I find the odds of such an event unlikely.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #49 on: 14 Sep 2013, 22:51 »

When I read the lore behind the Minmatar, I saw what a mess the Republic really is and I decided, if I were Elmund Egivand, a guy who was born in a backwater that has no shortage of troubles, will I actually feel any loyalty towards the Republic?

I decided that the answer is no. He would be loyal to the Republic during his beginning years until he knew more about the politics, the bureaucracy and etc., resulting him in deriving the conclusion that the mess that is the Republic isn't worth his undying loyalty. Hence his backstory. He grew up in Skarkon II, which, Saede would attest to, is not exactly the shining beacon of bureaucratic efficiency. That would have been enough to make make Elmund disillusioned with the Minmatar Republic. This disillusionment is then further compounded by his experiences in the RMS and him seeing the Republic in action.

And so, he decided to turn private. For the time being he fights for the Tribal Liberation Fleet solely because his interests aligned with the interests of at least one militia faction within the Fleet. However, as soon as there is a conflict of interest and he decided that his goals can no longer be fulfilled by staying with the TLF, he will pack up and move on.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013, 22:53 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #50 on: 24 Sep 2013, 19:15 »

I think the question of loyalty is... well... it sort of depends on what you mean by loyalty.  In the end, that's a big part of the surprises I've got in store with the Constantin Baracca character.  Two things everyone can tell about him right up front, but seems to be confusing people, is that:

A:  Constantin Baracca is an avid Amarrian and a Scriptural teacher.  He thinks the entirety of the cluster should take up the values of the Scriptures and he has no problem saying so.  In essence, he's a quintessential Amarrian loyalist.

B:  Constantin Baracca is a student and lover of other cultures as well.  He regularly praises other cultures as often as finds fault with them, and even more often he is harder on his own people than on others.  He's exactly the kind of person you'd expect Amarrians to hate.

What it really comes down to is that Constantin Baracca isn't driven by Faction Loyalty tm.  It's really up to other people to come up with how they react to him.  That's brought out a wide breadth of people and, I hope, really given everyone a chance to sort of see that factionalism doesn't run this game.  Some Gallenteans and Matari love the guy.  A few bought his message, but I think most of them are just happy to have him around.  He is a nice guy who really does mean the very best.  Some hate his guts, because he's exactly the kind of person who is the most dangerous to their way of life.  For exactly the same reasons some people like him, some people know exactly how persuasive he must be and think he's selling poison.  Constantin, I think, is best for giving Minmatar and Gallente players something to really disagree over.

I think that, although the worst he's been is annoyingly sunny for the Caldari to take, he's been everything from tolerated to well liked.  Mostly, though, I think Constantin really splits the Amarrian players like a fire axe.  He's very obviously not a conservative or introvert, he's a guy that has learned to be a kind, understanding, fun-loving teacher.  I primarily made him this way in order to jolt the Amarrian community.  Reactions to him have been all over the place, and I think reacting to him really is based on what your character thinks the Amarr Empire stands for.  Constantin stands 100% for a sort of Scriptural-religious theocracy instead of a feudal society where religion plays a part.

In a way, I've been really trying to, instead of making him likable by downplaying the religious aspect, to really shove it into people's faces and force them to make a judgement call.  He's exactly the kind of character that's meant to generate life in RP.  I intentionally designed him in order to get a bit of diversity going so that we aren't all lining up on factional lines, but really giving other characters some room to breathe.  I really did design him so that people who want to get away from racial back-and-forth can start showing facets of their characters.

All that, and I'd say being Amarrian is about the most important thing about him.  So maybe it's not an issue of factionalism, it's that characters can expect to react the same to the exact same kind of characters they've always met.  Sometimes, you just need someone to react to that isn't part of that system to break up the rigidity of the RP scene.

You don't even need to be liked to do that, or be divisive.  My other character, Red Roman, is designed, from the ground up, to be hated.  By pretty much everyone.  And to be non-factional.  He's brilliant, but he's also an absolute prick.  You can't say he's a necessarily divisive figure, but he's definitely not based around his faction.  His only faction is himself, and he knows how amazing his own faction is.

Even I hate him a little.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]