Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Constellation worldbuilding using stations  (Read 2640 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Constellation worldbuilding using stations
« on: 19 Mar 2011, 20:18 »

The scattering of stations around EVE does not seem to have any consistency or pattern...CCP tweaked a little dials, and boom.

But regardless, I think you can look at constellations, and make some sort of extrapolation in terms of economy, business and so on from the assortment. I think there is a considerable separation of planetary economy to space economy (ie. presence of one station in a system doesn't mean that corp will have a planetside presence) so I will keep this exclusively to space, which seems to have its own culture and way of doing things (space "shanty towns" etc.)

I'll use the example of Viriette, and I'll be interested in communicating with Intaki RPers about this. The assortment of stations is...

[spoiler]INTAKI
1x FDU logistics
2x Pend Insurance investment banks
1x Astral Mining refinery
1x FedMart storage
1x Federal Freight storage

AGOZE
1x CAS school
1x FedMart retail center

ANNANCALE
1x Astral Mining outpost
1x Astral Mining mineral reserve

BRAREL
1x FedMart warehouse

VEY
1x Astral Mining outpost
1x FedMart warehouse

OSTINGELE
1x FDU HQ
1x Pend HQ
1x FedMart HQ

HARROULE
1x FedMart storage[/spoiler]

From this, we can go somewhere. We know that Intaki is one of the wealthiest systems in the Federation. The presence of Pend Insurance investment banks across the constellation, with its HQ in Ostingele, likely helps the economy. The capsuleer significance of Intaki V-5 Astral refinery is coincedental with its potential general significance; it serves as the single and only refinery for the multiple Astral Mining extraction operations across the constellation. This Intaki station thus serves as a centerpoint for all Viriette mining. Federal Freight, who have a significant presence here, likely are contracted out by Astral and FedMart for shipping and logistics, while FedMart itself, which HQs in Ostingele, likely contribute to the general prosperity of the space colonies and settlements in Viriette by offering wholesale goods (contrast to Serthoulde, which has no FedMart stations...so, less developed and prosperous space colonies?

Stuff like that.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Constellation worldbuilding using stations
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2011, 21:58 »

On a macro scale there seems to have been some intentional extent of corporations as either local, regional, national, or global entities, fx Further Foodstuffs, ORE, Roden Shipyards , or Ducia Foundry.

To me this indicates a bit of design other than just turning dials.

I would also be careful about applying "dials" to EA added stations.  These stations were added well after the rest of them and had some very clear reasoning behind agent introduction and placement (take server load from existing hubs).

Vieve

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:35 »

The scattering of stations around EVE does not seem to have any consistency or pattern...CCP tweaked a little dials, and boom.

Eh.  I think there was some thought applied to some of the constellation workups.

Take Crux in Essence, for example.

Algogille (headquarters system of Federal Administration and the Federation Navy) - <tinfoil hat> Algogille may have been the first capital system of the new Federation, chosen over Luminaire as a symbolic gesture for Caldari and Gallente coming together as one space faring people, rather than clinging to their home planets. </tinfoil hat off>

Couster (FNA campus station system)

Duripant (headquarters system of the Federal Navy Academy)

Luminaire (home world system of the Caldari and Gallente peoples, headquarters system of Federation Customs) - <tinfoil hat> Even though Algogille may have been the first administrative capital of the Federation, Luminaire remained its financial one for quite a long time.  It can still be argued that it remains so, even though Dodixie -- whose emergence as a trade hub might have begun when the capital was relocated from Algogille to Villore -- and Ours very likely overshadow it in terms of capsuleer ISK changing hands.</tinfoil hat>

Mies (Federation Navy system, Chemal Tech and Astral Mining site (this despite a lack of serious mineral resources in the system -- but note that CreoDron's a partner to both Chemal Tech and Astral Mining), site of one of Duvolle's first expansion laboratories, home of former Presidential candidate Governor Celes Aguard*)

Oursulaert (trade hub system) <tinfoil hat on> Ours may have been uplifted from a relative backwater after the Federation made first contact with the Amarr.  That contact might have also spurred the eventual colonization of Verge, with the jumping off point being Ours.</tinfoil hat off>

Renyn (headquarters system of the Federal Intelligence Office, Customs & Chemal Tech site)

*Among other, non-canon things, including my tinfoil hattery as to why the Chemal Tech think tank that eventually became the Center for Advanced Studies might have been relocated from Mies to Verge Vendor. And yes, Aguard's first name still amuses me.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:59 »

From this, we can go somewhere. We know that Intaki is one of the wealthiest systems in the Federation. The presence of Pend Insurance investment banks across the constellation, with its HQ in Ostingele, likely helps the economy. The capsuleer significance of Intaki V-5 Astral refinery is coincedental with its potential general significance; it serves as the single and only refinery for the multiple Astral Mining extraction operations across the constellation. This Intaki station thus serves as a centerpoint for all Viriette mining. Federal Freight, who have a significant presence here, likely are contracted out by Astral and FedMart for shipping and logistics, while FedMart itself, which HQs in Ostingele, likely contribute to the general prosperity of the space colonies and settlements in Viriette by offering wholesale goods (contrast to Serthoulde, which has no FedMart stations...so, less developed and prosperous space colonies?

I'd just like to point out that high GDP does not mean that something is doing really well and having a great time. It can mean high population and cheap workers, who are able to produce lots of stuff at a very low cost.

I'd honestly argue that initial seeding of stations in EVE was largely random. There are Pend Insurance Bank Stations all over the damn place in Gallente space.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:20 »

Station placement thought out or not, the idea was to see what interesting "descriptions" and stories one can make behind a constellation by its station makeup  :)

Take Amevync. Vlillirier has loads of Wiyrkomi, Roden and Ducia stations, along with FedMart. The other systems in the constellation, bar Alsavoinon and Esesier, have a single FedMart station in, each. So, Ducia mines and sells to Wiyrkomi and/or Roden, and Wiyrkomi in turn sell to FedMart, who then ship it to the other systems (Anchauttes, Aldranette, Evaulon) who get high-quality goods sold by the local brand manufactured by Wiyrkomi.

Then there's some Fed constellations with just Caldari Business Tribunal stations and only that...not sure what they are for. Perhaps a large amount of Caldari corporate presence in the form of deadspace stations ("plugging the gap between publically listed stations") or planetside?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2011, 09:45 »

The CBT is in every empire.

The Caldari Business Tribunal is likely the best third-party adjudication in the cluster.  Unlike say the Supreme Court, Civic Court, or Justice Department (the last not even being a court system), the CBT is built around resolving contractual disputes between corporations and arguably lacks the political motivations of the others.

On top of being specialized in corporate to corporate litigation, it will be the preferred arbiter of contractual disputes between say Ishukone or CBD and a local company*.  If I was writing a contract and I didn't want to deal with the Federal or Imperial courts, writing into the contract that the CBT will adjudicate any breaches seems like a good idea (even for non-Caldari corporations).

*There tends to be a presence of one of the 6 global megacorps near the CBT clusters.

Vieve

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2011, 15:43 »

Except Khanid.   But, might not the CBT units in Tash-Murkon and/or Kor-Azor retain jurisdiction there?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2011, 17:56 »

Except Khanid.   But, might not the CBT units in Tash-Murkon and/or Kor-Azor retain jurisdiction there?
:P

Jurisdiction is global; a case involving a Gallente & Matari corp might be heard in an Amarrian CBT station.  The law schools are for the locals and I suspect the Khanid deal a lot with Caldari State corps and so deal directly with them.  But we have strayed from the topic of worldbuilding based on stations.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2011, 18:50 »

I remember reading somewhere that the station distribution was not entirely random and constellation constructs were used.

I however wish they would have used the rule of 1 station per planet only, and not placed them in moons, or even worse, 2 in orbit around the same moon at less than 5k away.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2011, 19:42 »

I remember reading somewhere that the station distribution was not entirely random and constellation constructs were used.

I however wish they would have used the rule of 1 station per planet only, and not placed them in moons, or even worse, 2 in orbit around the same moon at less than 5k away.

Or like the stations in Crielere... all 4 station guns fire at you when trying to dock/undock with GCC. Ohwait, that's not what this is about... >.>

On topic, I tried finding it in the book of EVE, but couldn't; I remember seeing what Bruno was talking about in regards to station distributions being intentional (at least to a degree).