Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked cruisers are held in place with massive clamps on strategic support sections of the ship, and are disengaged with incendiary explosives? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Author Topic: Lai Dai  (Read 4978 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Lai Dai
« on: 08 Mar 2011, 06:25 »

Lai Dai is (from a player perspective) one of the more prominent corporations - among other things, they are one of the three R&D agent corporations for the State. They are known for having high (perhaps the highest) quality products.

There are actually two Evelopedia articles for Lai Dai: The official one, and this much more informative 'test' one (most of the credit for the more informative one belongs to Dex Nederland).

To quote from the second link:
The Lai Dai Corporation is politically part of the Patriot faction. The Patriot faction is lead by Kaalakiota Corporation and also includes Wiyrkomi Corporation. The political faction is chiefly concerned with the Caldari State's status versus the other interstellar empires economically and militarily and embrace their Caldari cultural heritage.[1] As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge.

In the wake of the May/June 110 reforms and liberation (or invasion) of Caldari Prime, the Patriot faction is concerned about the populism of Tibus Heth, but agree with many of the changes he has brought on and the liberation of Caldari Prime, albeit quietly.[2]

Lai Dai's politics are not solely driven by its association with the Patriot faction. Lai Dai is heavily invested in both Amarr and the Khanid corporations. Lai Dai took advantage of the political alliance forged after the ending of the Caldari-Gallente War and invested in the Carthum Conglomerate and later Khanid Innovation, supplying both with an infusion of technological creativity needed to grow and reach their goals. This close relationship with the Amarr and Khanid mean that Lai Dai is unlikely to work against the Amarr in its interactions with the Caldari State as a whole. This some times results with the corporation having a conflict of interest concerning matters of the State and its normal political allies.

There are several interesting angles to Lai Dai: The heavy foreign involvement with the Kingdom and Empire, the extensive research, the support of the SAK, etc.

Lai Dai sending a team for wormhole exploration:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2906

Conflict between SuVee and Lai Dai a while back:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3504&tid=11
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3507&tid=11
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3509&tid=6
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3515&tid=6
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3519&tid=6
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3521&tid=6
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3523&tid=6

Lai Dai and foreign investment:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1929

Lai Dai Black Rise plans:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2806&tid=6

Juicy acquisition strategy scandal:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2447&tid=11

Lai Dai troops seize freighters destined for SuVee:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2466&tid=11

Sort of seeing a theme of SuVee/NOH conflict with Lai Dai, here.

Lai Dai/Nafanter Mining Association deal:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1168&tid=6

Panel on Caldari financial dealings:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1926&tid=6

That one in particularly interesting, because while Lai Dai seems to generally support the CPD (See this item and this one and this one.) and the 'patriot' line, they are clearly not always in lock-step with KK.

Reaction to Amarr-Khanid reconciliation:
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=3132&tid=11

Lai Dai are the original source of a wide range of Caldari Tech 2 hulls, including the Golem and the Cerberus (there is a list on the wiki).

They also have an active player arm in the form of Lai Dai Infinity Systems.

KK might be bigger, but I've always viewed Lai Dai as the more formidable corporation. They are big, they have very widespread influence, they are one of the most technologically advanced corporations in Eve, and there are hints that they don't mind breaking a few eggs to make an omelette - an almost Practical bent, though they seem to have a fairly sterling public image. What do you guys think?

And let me know if I missed anything.

« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 06:29 by Silver Night »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Lai Dai
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:30 »

There is an interesting angle to the Amarr/Khanid investments and the relation to the overall political goal of strengthening the State's position relative to the other empires.

The early investments in building a technology/research corporation in the Empire can be interpreted as working to put some innovation in the hands of their anti-Federation, resource heavy ally.  It was all about ensuring the Federation was not the cluster's innovation leader.

The more recent investments in the Kingdom can be interpreted as working to strengthen Khanid independence and weaken the overall power of the Empire.

It is a delicate balancing act keeping the other empires from gaining to much strength and potentially threatening the State's (and Lai Dai's) sovereignty.

Seperate info, LDIS is working to back Lai Dai's Black Rise plans.

Dirk Smacker

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:19 »

They also seem the most anxious to extend the boundaries of The State.

There are agents for both Lai Dai and Lai Dai Protection in the COSMOS missions.  Lai Dai has research stations in low sec, even one in the war zone (Kinakka).  With several Lai Dai Protection stations in Black Rise, they also seemed poised ready to develop State interests in Placid or even Cloud Ring if a military incursion were to take place.

I like Lai Dai a lot.   

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2011, 18:32 »

I could see their investments and spread outside the State having an ideological as well as practical motivation.

That would place them as potentially the most 'expansionist' of patriot corporations, while KK (to the degree megacorps operate ideologically) seems more concerned with issues within the State (countering Gallente cultural imperialism rather than spreading Caldari economic imperialism, kind of thing). Very simplified, obviously, but broadly it seems possible.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2011, 18:09 »

I think Lai Dai is the most interested in territorial expansion (vs corporate expansion).

Both KK & Wirykomi have significant presence outside the State; KK has more mega-corp stations in the Empire than State for example.  These are about market, corporate expansion.  KK might be producing large volumes of goods using the relatively cheap labor of the Empire and Wirykomi has maintained a presence in the Federation and has expanded into the Republic and Empire.

Lai Dai is just in the State, other than investment in native corporations.  I think this has everything to do with retaining sovereignty of its property and operations.  Lai Dai does not want to cede authority for its operations to any national government.  Lai Dai's Placid investment is a conservative one, keeping its potential operations close to the State's territory and ensuring it does not invest to much into property and operations it may lose control of.

If given the opportunity and the security that its corporate sovereignty will remain intact, Lai Dai will make a move.  Otherwise, forget it!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2011, 19:22 »

Most KK stations are in systems with an Amarr navy station, I suspect that a significant portion of their income is from either refitting ancient Armarrian warships with modern weapon systems or just building new hulls outright.

As for Lai Dai, while I'm sure strengthening a potential ally against the Federation was considered at some level, I think the main reason for their involvement in Carthium etc was that the Amarrians had lots of money are were willing to pay to be brought into the modern age.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2011, 19:28 by Hamish Grayson »

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2011, 21:52 »

As for Lai Dai, while I'm sure strengthening a potential ally against the Federation was considered at some level, I think the main reason for their involvement in Carthium etc was that the Amarrians had lots of money are were willing to pay to be brought into the modern age.

I can see that pretty easily for Carthum, but I think it may be a bit more for Khanid Innovation. The Khanid are the only other race besides the Caldari to exclusively use missile systems on their ships. That may just be because of Caldari influence and nothing else, but I always viewed it as a bit more. Especially on the Khanid side of things.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:34 »

I was  under the impression that it was because Lai Dai designed the ships for them.

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2011, 21:08 »

Hmm. Didn't think of that. That could be a possibility, and its probably one of the main reasons. I know they got most of the tech from Lai Dai, but I always thought they did the designs themselves. Either way that falls under the Caldari influence tab I mentioned, but I also thought of it as a way to differentiate themselves from the Amarr.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2011, 21:24 »

I could see the parallel idealogical/financial/power motives to Lai Dai being involved there. The Kingdom has certain similarities to the State (Member polity breaking away from a larger government). Perhaps it's chance that Lai Dai is involved in providing some of the sorts of technologies that one presumes were (in an earlier incarnation) useful to the state, perhaps not.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2011, 21:55 »

Perhaps, outside of capsuleer R&M, laser R&M takes a really long time, extensive support facilities and the "patients" have been held by Amarrian holders for millennia.  Maybe Khanid Innovations, with Lai Dai support, wanted to make a relatively clean break and thus went with technology not owned by Amarrians.

Vieve

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:59 »

I could see the parallel idealogical/financial/power motives to Lai Dai being involved there. The Kingdom has certain similarities to the State (Member polity breaking away from a larger government). Perhaps it's chance that Lai Dai is involved in providing some of the sorts of technologies that one presumes were (in an earlier incarnation) useful to the state, perhaps not.

There's perhaps also the added "benefit" of Lai Dai's being able to compete with Ishukone in/directly in this market space, without the CBT's looking over their respective shoulders.   Unlike the Empire, the Republic or even the Federation, there are no Tribunal facilities in Khanid space. 

This could suggest all sorts of things.  :)

Ember Vykos

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:53 »

Even though the CBT doesnt have a presence in Khanid space wouldnt they have some way to track at least most of what Lai Dai does? I do find it a bit curious that there are no CBT stations in Khanid space given the relationship between the Khanid and Caldari. Maybe they figure they are fine with the stations they have in the Empire overall.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:22 »

I would expect the CBT to have some means of oversight out on the fringes. On the other hand, I expect it to be more tenuous further from the State.

Also, I suspect that the CBT is a highly political entity. Not in the sense that it is full of politicians, but in the sense that a lot of behind-the-scenes power politics and jockeying for position probably goes on. After all, people aren't born CBT, they are probably born Lai Dai, or Ishukone, or what have you. But once they are in enforcement with the CBT, there is probably the expectation that they leave that behind. I think how much they actually would might well vary.

In fact, I would think that both internally and between eachother, the CBT and the CEP have some of the most complex and interesting politics in the cluster, at least at the middle and lower levels.

So, the lack of CBT stations might not mean a lack of CBT presence, but it might mean that it's easier to get someone who would be sympathetic as the CBT auditor for your system.  :D

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2011, 00:56 »

Also, I suspect that the CBT is a highly political entity. Not in the sense that it is full of politicians, but in the sense that a lot of behind-the-scenes power politics and jockeying for position probably goes on. After all, people aren't born CBT, they are probably born Lai Dai, or Ishukone, or what have you. But once they are in enforcement with the CBT, there is probably the expectation that they leave that behind. I think how much they actually would might well vary.

In fact, I would think that both internally and between eachother, the CBT and the CEP have some of the most complex and interesting politics in the cluster, at least at the middle and lower levels.

From the CBT Evelopedia entry:

Tribunal justices are appointed by the Chief Executive Panel, and many appointees are corporate lawyers or security executives prior to their nomination. Additionally, Tribunal investigators are among the few people in the State who are ostensibly free of corporate loyalties.

Agreed, I imagine those hearings are probably as much of a circus as judicial confirmation hearings in Congress (U.S.), if not more so.  While the position is supposed to be above loyalty and transparent, it's certainly likely that each mega (or at least the political blocs) try their hardest to get as many sympathetic individuals on board as possible to tilt things in their favor.  Note the use of the word ostensibly in the entry.

Ostensible: being such in appearance; plausible rather than demonstrably true or real.

My initial write-up of Syyl and Yaan's history included that they grew tired of the need to constantly remain "politically clean" and I was meaning to portray how factions might constantly try to undermine their credibility if they were to offer testimony which favored one entity or faction regularly.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2011, 01:01 by Syylara/Yaansu »