Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How I hate IC flamewars.  (Read 9796 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: How I hate IC flamewars.
« Reply #15 on: 07 Mar 2011, 14:57 »

Expecting the IGS not to have debates is like expecting a parliament not to have debates.

Personally, I see a large difference between "expecting the IGS not to have debates" and not wanting endless rehashing of the same positions without any substantive discussion. The back-and-forth of "OMG TRIBAL HEATHEN" and "DEATH 2 U SLAVER" doesn't strike me as interesting debate. Other people seem to enjoy it, and they of course have every right to do so.

But so much of IGS seems to devolve into that sort of flaming. And much of the rest seems to devolve into what I'll semi-politely call "mutual intellectual masturbation". I avoid IGS almost entirely now because of all this. As an additional but unfortunate side effect, I miss the genuinely interesting and imaginative content that undoubtedly exists there.

If only I had a better way to filter the good stuff out from the crap...

^this

Though I don't mind, it is IC after all and represent perfectly well the RL world. If the level has to be low, then so be it, it is how IC is the capsuleer population. If the level has to be high, then so be it too.

That is how I see it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 07 Mar 2011, 17:51 »

Indeed! Sometimes I visualize the IGS as the EVE version of FoxNews.com and HuffPo merging.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 07 Mar 2011, 18:07 »

I'm quite enjoying the Fed/State ones, mostly because they are far more interesting than slaver/anti-slaver due to the whole area having a whole lot more depth.

Particularly enjoying painting them as Damar lackeys, since, well, nobody likes Damar (:

"Provist dogs, komrade!"

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #18 on: 07 Mar 2011, 18:29 »

I'm quite enjoying the Fed/State ones, mostly because they are far more interesting than slaver/anti-slaver due to the whole area having a whole lot more depth.

Well now, that's a matter of perspective, isn't it? :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 07 Mar 2011, 19:58 »

Er, I missed out "I find it more interesting" there...

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 07 Mar 2011, 20:18 »

Particularly enjoying painting them as Damar lackeys, since, well, nobody likes Damar (:

"Provist dogs, komrade!"

I like Damar. Most people I know in CAIN like Damar. Most people I know in CalMil like Damar. In fact, the only people I know who don't like Damar are in GalMil, especially the ones that he kills a lot.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:20 »

Oh, come on Vik, you've stated this is a game of OOC competition as well, so gotta take what you say with a pinch of salt  :P

It's quotes like these...

[15:43:48] Damar Rocarion > I only assumed I had one good guy with me, rest were meatshields mainly

He is notoriously disliked within the Caldari militia, and being in the militia consistently since September 2009, and interacting with other squids, we learnt this. We even have an ex-Damar lackey called "Super Chair" who is now in QCATS, who tells us of the times he was under Damar's FCing, and his treatment of his subjects.

Vikarion

« Reply #22 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:27 »

Oh, come on Vik, you've stated this is a game of OOC competition as well, so gotta take what you say with a pinch of salt  :P

It's quotes like these...

[15:43:48] Damar Rocarion > I only assumed I had one good guy with me, rest were meatshields mainly

He is notoriously disliked within the Caldari militia, and being in the militia consistently since September 2009, and interacting with other squids, we learnt this. We even have an ex-Damar lackey called "Super Chair" who is now in QCATS, who tells us of the times he was under Damar's FCing, and his treatment of his subjects.

It is a game that involves OOC competition, and I have said as much. It is you that has said otherwise.

As to Damar, he can be elitist, but I have met few good PvPers who are not. I myself am elitist, to a degree. Still, there are very few who were or are in CalMil that I have heard bad-mouth Damar, save for Super Chair, and Super Chair always had, from my perspective, the attitude of an eager and incompetent puppy. I am happier with him not in the Caldari Militia.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #23 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:41 »

I like debate, but I rarely even comment on Intaki topics anymore because I find the repetition and mud slinging tiresome.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #24 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:47 »

Oh, I see.

We bicker ICly because we're the exact same OOCly.

What a surprise. I haven't said that on the last ten threads like this one or anything.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #25 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:10 »

Oh, I see.

We bicker ICly because we're the exact same OOCly.

What a surprise. I haven't said that on the last ten threads like this one or anything.

Huh?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #26 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:52 »

[mod]This topic has a lot of potential to go very badly. Please keep that in mind as you post, and feel free to review the Rules and FAQ.[/mod]

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #27 on: 07 Mar 2011, 23:31 »

Well rather than contributing to the trolling I'm just going to let the card do the talking for me. This is addressed to the OP's evident anger with flamebaiting, and his (apparent) desire to see it go away.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r67/S_Baxter2064/NSCards/tonyblair.png

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #28 on: 07 Mar 2011, 23:40 »

I find the opinions about how horrible galnet is and how its the reason you never go there anymore a bit melodramatic. It's a public medium to voice opinions and ideas; expecting everyone to reply with care and in an non-confrontational manner is unrealistic. Blaming other people for your wasted time because you decided to read every post is irresponsible and just plain silly. Unless you're new, you KNOW what you're getting into when you open a thread.

Only you can control your own behavior. Worry about your own responses and give attention to people that make quality replies.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #29 on: 07 Mar 2011, 23:44 »

I found that when I was frequenting IGS, it was fairly easy to ignore irrelevant replies and respond to substantive ones. Or at least respond to the replies of opponents when it suited my agenda.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5