Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DED has very long-standing military laws governing the conduct of its officers.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to New Eden  (Read 6743 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to New Eden
« Reply #15 on: 07 Mar 2011, 19:42 »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

That's an extraordinary piece of work, Ken. Still needs a little editing, but as far as I'm concerned it's fucking amazing.  :D
:yar:
Want to volunteer as editor?

Kihtaled is NOT the core of the Khanid Kingdom, Khanid Prime is - thats where the seat of the King is.
Corrected in v0.91.  Thanks, Mathra!

Devoured, and I'm hungry for more. The part of me that was studying cultural anthropology before turning to medicine really loves the humanizing approach that was taken in the writing style.

If I may ask, how much of the beautiful little details came from PF sources, and how much came from your own thoughts? The quote from Heideran VII after Vak'Atioth sounds like he was channeling the spirit of a certain Roman emperor. And, I'm going to spend all day imagining and snickering about a bit of light Caldari theater based on the comedy-of-errors-like meeting of the (selfless and dutiful) farmer and the (over-the-top and clueless) Gallente Captain Kirk - "Oh, those silly, silly foreigners."
So glad you enjoyed!  Humanizing the story was one of my primary goals.  The various quotations, those details that I can most easily nail down and provide you an answer on, are about 1/3 PF, 1/3 transplants from real historical quotations, and 1/3 stuff I made up.

Post this on EVE Fiction! Needs CCP exposure!!!
o7 Okay, you got it!

Would someone be kind enough to upload it somewhere else?
Someone would.

tasty stuff
Hamish, thanks so much for the link!  I had not seen that old thread (have only read a few chatsubo threads in my time), but it's a great resource for trying to get a handle on the early Caldari... the challenges of which are obviously not a new development.  Also, not surprising to see the identity of the OP.  :)

It's interesting that Isuuaya, which is referenced in some of the old PF, receives very little play.  That may be understandable considering it isn't one of the Big Eight and, I must presume, has long since been absorbed by competitors.

As for the level of technology present on Caldari Prime, I think my depiction reasonably shows a civilization still using industrial age tech.  They have radios, the means by which I imagine the Gallenteans learned that Caldari Prime's inhabitants were advanced, but haven't yet realized how to use them on a large scale or simply prefer other methods of communication because of environmental/social conditions.  For example, perhaps Caldari Prime doesn't have an ionosphere being so far from Luminaire and thus long-distance sky wave transmissions are not feasible, relegating radio wave communication to a niche hobby rather than a political/military game-changer as it was on Earth.

By the same token, the first contact scene I depicted was meant to show a rather advanced (globalized and spacefaring) Gallente making contact with the far simpler (agricultural commune-dwelling) Caldari.  If I had to place the Caldari in an Earth-equivalent decade at the moment of Gallente arrival, I would say they had technology comparable to the 1950s.  The Gallente, on the other hand were working with stuff comparable to the 2050s.  I bump the Caldari up 100 years from Herko's analogy, but I imagine that while they had 1950s tech, they weren't necessarily using it in the same ways we did on Earth or probably that they had only developed some sciences to their 20th century equivalents while others languished for whatever reason.

With regards to economic exploitation by the Gallenteans, I don't think I spared the Caldari much in that regard, but I also tried to show that they coped with the changes.

Across the board with this project I've tried to give equal play to both the old school and Tony-G school (EA and later) of PF.  My hope is that I can wrap them together well enough that you can't tell the difference and don't particularly mind which parts come from which "era".  At the same time, I didn't want to stray too far off the beaten path of what could be verified in PF sources, and so have been forced to gloss over certain things using vocabulary that describes long-term trends rather than specific events wherever it seemed best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Will keep working on it and improving, of course!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:16 »

Ah thank you !

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 08 Mar 2011, 09:28 »

That was a bloody good read. Many thanks for the work.

Arvash

• Clonejack
« Reply #18 on: 08 Mar 2011, 19:42 »

Really an excellent start. I would have loved to have had this as a new player.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #19 on: 08 Mar 2011, 19:53 »

Damn, that's well written. Makes my pitiful scrawlings look like, umm, pitiful scrawlings.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 08 Mar 2011, 20:09 »

I would probably make a terrible editor. I still screw up 'it's' and 'its'.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2011, 15:07 »

Really an excellent start. I would have loved to have had this as a new player.
Thank you.  It was specifically written with newcomers in mind.  If you like, point the rookies toward it when they come in asking for information about the lore.

Damn, that's well written. Makes my pitiful scrawlings look like, umm, pitiful scrawlings.
Thanks!  你说中文吗?

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #22 on: 10 Mar 2011, 15:23 »

Thanks!  你说中文吗?
是的,,我从小在新加坡所以它是我的第一语言。=] Oso,,buqeki. x3
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2011, 13:24 »

I have updated the link in the OP to point to v0.91, which has several small edits and adds a brief mention of the Jin-Mei in Chapter 3.

是的,,我从小在新加坡所以它是我的第一语言。=] Oso,,buqeki. x3
新加坡?从未去过,但我很想去!

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2011, 01:06 »

:eek:

Haven't read it yet, but with a quick skim my head exploded trying to comprehend the sheer awesomeness. :D

Not sure if it would help, but since I'm taking a break from playing EVE and concentrating a bit more on the lore side of things I would volunteer myself as an editor. Doubt I could be much help atm on how correct it is according to PF, but I could probably help find typos and such. If you're interested just send me a PM.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2011, 13:59 »

我喜欢生活在那里,但很可惜,我不得不搬迁到英国工作就失去了占领。
一种让我生气,但有没有什么我能做的。但生活就是这样不是吗?这是一个很好的发言,我作为我的主要语言,,看到的人。。 。但我敢肯定,这里的人都摸不着头脑和运行翻译一切。x3

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:06 »

顺便说一句,我在Facebook名称是Dos Tu Mai Kielle如果你是在那里。=3
Pages: 1 [2]