Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to New Eden  (Read 6744 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
The Hitchhiker's Guide to New Eden
« on: 05 Mar 2011, 19:19 »

this
volume 1
rough draft
so not perfect
and more to follow
um... your thoughts?
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2011, 13:24 by Ken »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to New Eden
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2011, 22:12 »

That's an extraordinary piece of work, Ken. Still needs a little editing, but as far as I'm concerned it's fucking amazing.  :D

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2011, 22:50 »

That's an extraordinary piece of work, Ken. Still needs a little editing, but as far as I'm concerned it's fucking amazing.  :D

That.

We miss your majestic fictional works. :C
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Crucifire

« Reply #3 on: 05 Mar 2011, 23:09 »

This is really...

Wow.

I'm gonna have to spend an evening with this.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2011, 00:58 »

I was wondering where you'd been, Ken. Busy, it seems.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 06 Mar 2011, 02:24 »

:D Looks great Ken - however one thing so far

"Traditional political power, specifically in the form of the expansive interstellar nation-state,
coalesces in a few places within New Eden: Villore, Luminaire, New Caldari, Kihtaled, Amarr
Prime, Pator, Tanoo, Yulai"

Kihtaled is NOT the core of the Khanid Kingdom, Khanid Prime is - thats where the seat of the King is.

:3 I also think you spelt Yulai wrong in the "Yoiul Conference" (Middle of p6)

EDIT: Failreading
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2011, 02:26 by Mathra Hiede »

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2011, 09:11 »

Glorious  :D

Stuff to come on the 'outlaw' factions?

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #7 on: 06 Mar 2011, 12:02 »

Jesus fuck, son.

You don't disappoint with these 'return after a silence' things, do ya? :D Pretty damned awesome stuff.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2011, 12:18 »

Duuuude.

And that's just the first draft of volume 1?!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:38 »

A note on the conference: It was held on board a Jovian cruiser named "Yoiul". Which may or may not have been in Yulai system.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2011, 08:30 »

Devoured, and I'm hungry for more. The part of me that was studying cultural anthropology before turning to medicine really loves the humanizing approach that was taken in the writing style.

If I may ask, how much of the beautiful little details came from PF sources, and how much came from your own thoughts? The quote from Heideran VII after Vak'Atioth sounds like he was channeling the spirit of a certain Roman emperor. And, I'm going to spend all day imagining and snickering about a bit of light Caldari theater based on the comedy-of-errors-like meeting of the (selfless and dutiful) farmer and the (over-the-top and clueless) Gallente Captain Kirk - "Oh, those silly, silly foreigners."
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 08:33 by Kohiko Sun »
Will work for pretty sig.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar 2011, 12:30 »

damn, why don't ccp come up with this kind of material......would allow many more people to do "lightlolRP" for fun in local with some context.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2011, 12:59 »

Post this on EVE Fiction! Needs CCP exposure!!!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2011, 15:01 »

Would someone be kind enough to upload it somewhere else ? It happens I am unable to go further than 400 or 500 ko when dowloading it on evefiles :/

Thank you by advance =)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2011, 15:34 »

Ken,

Have you read this thread?

http://www.eve-chatsubo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=220&hilit=galileo

I don't know how relevant any of it still is in TonyG's Eve, but a lot of important (to me) PF that's been altered slightly is still preserved in it's original form there.

For example:  Current Hyasyoda Corp description:

Hyasyoda is one of the oldest Caldari megacorporations, formed shortly after contact with the Gallente. The corporation is conservative and cautious in its business dealings. Hyasyoda focuses on bread-and-butter industries such as agriculture, mining, and consumer products. Its operations are largely contained to the State itself, although it has partnerships with foreign companies to market many of its products in foreign territories.

The corporation is still largely controlled by the Osmon family that founded it, though much of its stock has been sold off over the company’s long history. Perhaps as a result of this history, Hyasyoda’s corporate culture is just as conservative as its business strategies, with a strong leaning toward old school corporatism and established tradition. The amount of social pressure on Hyasyoda employees to “fit in” is extremely high, even for the Caldari State, where such pressure is part of daily life.

Hyasyoda is also extremely distrustful of the other megacorporations, the exception being Ishukone, their longtime ally; the corporation is also wary of any hint of centralized State authority. As a result, Hyasyoda has been one of the strongest critics of the Caldari Providence Directorate, despite joining it voluntarily shortly before the Caldari Prime invasion, and has led opposition to the Executor in the CEP.

Corporate Police Force is the police and security arm of the Hyasyoda mega corporation.

vs the original PF

Hyasyoda is one of the oldest of the Caldari mega corporations, having been formed shortly after first contact with the Gallenteans when the Caldari were still in the Industrial Age. It's conservative and cautious, but adheres to the old saying: 'Only the paranoid survive.'

Additionally I would suggest that you re-read The Science of Never Again, and take a look at the art work for Cold Wind.   To me they suggest that the Caldari rather technologicall primitive compared to the Gallenteans.

Infact the old Kaalakiota corp description outright says so. 

Kaalakiota: The mighty Kaalakiota humble beginnings date back to the time when the primitive Caldari where being economically exploited by the much more advanced Gallente Federation. The Kaalakiota, or KK as it's often called, dabbled in trade with the Gallenteans, but soon started raking in wealth on real estate and manufactures. The KK was at the forefront of the Caldari opposition against the Gallente Federation, something the corporation used to its great advantage

Keep in mind that Tony controls PF now, and there is a reason certain little details keep disappearing.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 15:52 by Hamish Grayson »
Pages: [1] 2