Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: IC Rogue Drones?  (Read 18404 times)

Kybernetes Moros

Re: IC Rogue Drones?
« Reply #105 on: 29 May 2011, 16:44 »

I'd think the Drones would be more interested in downloading the data from a scientist's computer network than assimilating a scientist.

You might think so, but PF examples exist. So it seems to provide a suitable platform for those that wish to RP this sort of thing.

After all: it's a big cluster.

See: level three mission chain of seven missions, New Frontiers.

[spoiler]Going from memory, a scientist working on AI finds that said AI is wildly effective and develops itself rapidly, up to the point that it deems it most efficient to assimilate him. Or maybe he was trying to communicate with the Rogue Drones and similar happened; take what I say with an entire salt mine, but it's something not unlike that, I believe.[/spoiler]

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
« Reply #106 on: 29 May 2011, 23:10 »

I see, I see.

I just started reading Empyrean Age, so I'll be looking for the drone reference there too.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #107 on: 23 Jul 2011, 02:17 »

poking this for a reason.

There is apparently a character involving themselves in the Arek Jaalan thing, called "Awakened Infomorph".

Is this an Event Character? and as such, to be considered canon ?
\o/

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #108 on: 23 Jul 2011, 02:30 »

Oh gods I hope not

Chevalleis

• Clonejack
« Reply #109 on: 23 Jul 2011, 08:57 »

Infomorphs in eve would be interesting. So is this Awakened Infomorph an actual player visible in the database or just a new dronetype?

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #110 on: 23 Jul 2011, 09:05 »

The character 'Awakened Infomorph' is a dev actor -- like Sansha Kuvakei, Haeldone Dorgiers, Citizen Astur, or whoever else you care to ask, what it says is purple in chat. So yeah, canon, I suppose, but given that the infomorph's been present in EVE from the start, that's no massive surprise. (Todo Kirkinen, Zainou's founder, for example, and in a roundabout way capsuleers in general.)

Who this is, in-universe, is another matter. It's not particularly clear whether it's a rogue drone or Sleeper meatpuppet, or something else entirely.

Crucifire

« Reply #111 on: 23 Jul 2011, 13:36 »

Hmmm, this Awakened Infomorph has grabbed my interest. I'll be keeping an eye on how it pans out.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #112 on: 23 Jul 2011, 15:38 »

Who this is, in-universe, is another matter. It's not particularly clear whether it's a rogue drone or Sleeper meatpuppet, or something else entirely.
Over in SYNE we're treating this as a Sleeper infomorph. It's our understanding that the first encounter with Awakened Infomorph (or AI_01 for short; we came up with that name because who really wants to confuse a char with the term "A.I.") was in a C6 wormhole after all entrances/exits had been popped by the resident alliance. About a minute after someone picked up AI_01 on d-scan Sleepers started swarming the belt.

Related question. In PF has it been established whether Rogue Drones have the tech to blink-of-an-eye transport a ship about 100km? This happened to several people in New Caldari when AI_01 was in the neighborhood.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #113 on: 23 Jul 2011, 16:46 »

Over in SYNE we're treating this as a Sleeper infomorph. It's our understanding that the first encounter with Awakened Infomorph (or AI_01 for short; we came up with that name because who really wants to confuse a char with the term "A.I.") was in a C6 wormhole after all entrances/exits had been popped by the resident alliance. About a minute after someone picked up AI_01 on d-scan Sleepers started swarming the belt.

Related question. In PF has it been established whether Rogue Drones have the tech to blink-of-an-eye transport a ship about 100km? This happened to several people in New Caldari when AI_01 was in the neighborhood.

Oh, yeah, it's possible that it's a Sleeper infomorph. Just saying that presence in a wormhole -- even including 'using' Sleeper ships -- doesn't make it a certainty.

Related answer: It's not an unreasonable assumption that that kind of voodoo is well within the reach of any group capable of manipulating wormholes or similar phenomena with a high degree of sophistication. Rogue drones definitely can, as can the Nation ("this is not Sansha's doing", I know, rabblerabble). More speculatively, it is / was likely within the reach of the Talocan (off whom I'm inclined to say the Sleepers would have mooched or scavenged it) and Jovians.

Frankly, I blame displacer fields and Meatfucker.

[spoiler]lolCulture[/spoiler]

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #114 on: 25 Jul 2011, 18:20 »

The answer is still no!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #115 on: 25 Jul 2011, 19:10 »

Even if CCP explicitly demonstrates that it's possible?

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #116 on: 25 Jul 2011, 20:15 »

If you consider the SoE Epic Arc PF, they're capable of teleporting their hives.  They were already capable of using spatial rifts, and either the Sleepers share the technology or picked up the trick from the Drones.  Either one of those possibilities brings up interesting questions.  They were also the first to make use of deadspace pockets.

Then again; quantum physics, particle science and teleportation?  Where have I heard that before...

Chevalleis

• Clonejack
« Reply #117 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:17 »

Then again; quantum physics, particle science and teleportation?  Where have I heard that before...

Portaaal!

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #118 on: 28 Jul 2011, 18:10 »

Portaaal!

Since you brought up Portal, I wonder if Rogue Drones ever bitch about a day in the life. Because turrets in Portal sure do.

Einar Nils

• Clonejack
« Reply #119 on: 29 Jul 2011, 10:59 »

So the Enheduanni are coming forth.
The Jovians are cured of their disease.

Hope this plays out better than expected.
Interesting times. Pick a side Ascension or Humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9