Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wisdom from a Goon?  (Read 4735 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: Wisdom from a Goon?
« Reply #15 on: 01 Feb 2011, 17:29 »

In my less than humble opinion, the commentary is neither insightful nor conducive to engaging roleplay interaction or dialogue. All it displays is the individual's inability to utilize a tool for productive means, and displaying their ignorance for all to see. Congratulations, bravo, im extremely impressed.  The populist sentiment may be eaten up as visionary , but to me its just another mouth making noise, goon or otherwise.

While I'm hesitant to make personal judgements based on game behavior,  lets just say my initial thoughts aren't positive.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 02 Feb 2011, 10:43 »

He's been poking me in my 'station captured' thread, and I'm having a bit of an internal debate of how to respond, as in should I waste time writing up some IC responses to someone from a non-rp group that has been poking his head into IGS lately, with no RP history? I haven't heard of him before and I'm not sure if that sort of thing is warranted. Any thoughts from the wisdom of backstage?

I feel like there's a goon peeing in my RP pool in some sense, but then again I think he has been writing pretty well and I don't want to shun that on a snap reaction without some thought.....

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 02 Feb 2011, 11:29 »

I find the idea quite arrogant that to warrant an IC response, you have to be in a RPer group and have RP history. In my opinion, the Goon in question has behaved reasonably, written clear posts, and not violated any PF or in-game fact.

To not answer him just because he is a Goonie and thus might actually be peeing in your pool even if you don't see any yellow anywhere close to him would be stupid, and pretty much prove that you belong a bunch of lolRPers who only care about our internal thou-shouting and not what anyone else in the EVE universe has to say.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 02 Feb 2011, 13:43 »

I find the idea quite arrogant that to warrant an IC response, you have to be in a RPer group and have RP history.

I'm not sure that's the line of thought here, really. The argument against responding seems to boil down to, "Don't feed the trolls."

Mind you, this particular goon doesn't look to me like a troll: more like an honest representative of a perspective that elevates empire-building and mass warfare and devalues anything smaller-scale.

It's refreshing. After all, no matter how basically hostile, a reasoned attack is vulnerable to a reasoned response.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 02 Feb 2011, 13:55 »

I find the idea quite arrogant that to warrant an IC response, you have to be in a RPer group and have RP history.

I'm not sure that's the line of thought here, really. The argument against responding seems to boil down to, "Don't feed the trolls."

Mind you, this particular goon doesn't look to me like a troll: more like an honest representative of a perspective that elevates empire-building and mass warfare and devalues anything smaller-scale.

It's refreshing. After all, no matter how basically hostile, a reasoned attack is vulnerable to a reasoned response.

I'm tempted to look through that "0.0 alliances and RP" thread and find a post there to summarize this, but :effort:. The point is, he is not doing anything which breaks the "4th wall" of being IC, nor is he being outright condescending of RP in general. He's fulfilling a rarely seen niche in RP - the 0.0 alliance member who cares to interact with the rest of the cluster, but is aware of his position as a god-pilot in an organization capable of giving any of the 4 empires a run for their money - and his organization is only one fish in the pond.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 02 Feb 2011, 15:45 »

As some of you stated I've found his writing pretty well-thought and at least interesting to read imho, so I won't ignore or anything.  I've just seen the occasional 0.0 alliance member pop into IGS on random occasions and then leave and it's generally not good reading.  Thank you for your opinions

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 02 Feb 2011, 16:16 »

If all you knew of this guy was that he is a Goon, then assuming he is a troll might be reasonable.

If, however, what you know of him is that he posts well, seems to stay in character, etc, and happens to also be a Goon, then I find that treating him as a troll just in case is a bit harsh.

Quote from: Silas Vitalia
I've just seen the occasional 0.0 alliance member pop into IGS on random occasions and then leave
If I used this as a guideline to which groups to talk to, I'd never speak to an RPer again.
;)

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #22 on: 02 Feb 2011, 19:10 »

And if I ever had a chance to read CAOD prior to subscribing I probably wouldn't have bothered with this game to begin with. Of all places I would have hoped the denizens of backstage can recognize an insult, even when glazed with flowery, well spoken dialogue. The capability to form complete sentences, while a feat in itself, does not make it rp-friendly in need of nurturing.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2011, 14:32 »

as far as I can see, the character's been in a RP type corporation, so I don't see what the issue is.

What does it matter about them currently being in one of the Goonswarm corporations?

\o/

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2011, 18:02 »

as far as I can see, the character's been in a RP type corporation, so I don't see what the issue is.

What does it matter about them currently being in one of the Goon-swarm corporations?

Not much. <- That's what I should be able to say. Sadly as a goon this person is in an organization known for an incredible level of dickery and pure, refined idiocy as far as the term 'internet-assholery' goes. This grants him/her a reputation based on affiliation that makes allot of people wary of what he says and does - everyone expects and braces for the inevitable storm. Few will take him/her totally serious, if only because it *IS* a goon.

Obviously all of this can be completely wrong, in this specific case. But we don't know that, we won't know that, until we find out for sure if it's just a goon RP'ing or trying to or a series of quasi-intellectual, semi-veiled flames on all Role Player,s the IGS or more.

AS for Silas, I for one would say 'take the chance, this one time.' For all we know, he/she is a legit RP'er, pre-condemned by association. I'm not entirely sure either why myself, but we can only find out one way for sure.
Pages: 1 [2]