Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wisdom from a Goon?  (Read 4734 times)

Graanvlokkie

Wisdom from a Goon?
« on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:20 »

Posted at http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1459258

You do not call to the strong. You call to the gullible. If you wanted the responses of strong entities, then you would have appealed for help privately through some other means than this publicly-viewable and often-mocked forum. You call to the self-important, special snowflakes of the cluster. You call to the whining malcontents and sycophants in New Eden, who instead of joining with others have in their misguided self-importance struck out either on their own or in small conclaves.

Capsuleers have the power to help you, but not the capsuleers that you're addressing. You will find nothing but angst and indecisiveness on this forum. If you wish to do something more than broadcast empty platitudes to an apathetic universe, then you should drop your transparent facade and speak with candor to one of the many entities in deep space capable of responding with strength.

Kind of sad, because it is kind of true ...

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Wisdom from a Goon?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:25 »

Too bad there is no 'Like' button on this forum :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:26 »

Every time a Goon makes an insightful comment on an IC forum, a baby kitten dies.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2011, 13:50 »

Wisdom? Why is a couple platitudes about the utility of IGS wisdom? Most of that passage can easily be read as the same old 'lolrp' and 'nullsec is the only real EVE' sentiments dressed up in complete, IC sentences.

I'm not trying to say that was the player's intent; I have no idea what he or she was going for. But I can't see why it should be singled out for any particular praise. There is nothing there that hasn't been said a million times before, IC and OOC.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2011, 15:43 »

Like apes with iPods, the tool is only as useful as the ingenuity of its wielder.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 15:45 by Kaleigh Doyle »

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2011, 16:08 »

Wisdom? Why is a couple platitudes about the utility of IGS wisdom? Most of that passage can easily be read as the same old 'lolrp' and 'nullsec is the only real EVE' sentiments dressed up in complete, IC sentences.
That's not how I read it.

Even among RPers or above-zero-dwellers (the two being not interchangeable) it is pretty much a fact that if you actually want something done, you speak to the people who might be able to do it privately, and organize stuff. You don't go around calling for help or making grand announcements in public, because that tends to get you more of the guys who want to show off doing something than the guys who actually want to do it.

The pretty much only exception is if you want to gather people to talk about stuff, such as for a comms channel.

And this all holds IC, too. So it is far from "lolRPers" to say so.

Nothing there that hasn't been said a million times before, yes. But it's still true. ;)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2011, 16:55 »

Of course the interpretation I outlined is not the only possible one; the post can be perfectly understood in an entirely IC sense. Neither is necessarily correct, and I do try to assume the best of intentions from everyone. Nonetheless, whenever the phrase 'special snowflakes' is employed, it makes me rather suspicious, given the OOC connotation it's picked up.

The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2011, 02:38 »

Like apes with iPods, the tool is only as useful as the ingenuity of its wielder.
^This.
Maybe, just maybe, we've stumbled upon a rarity - like a gorilla that can read music and play the harp - but I doubt it. That post was probably cooked together with the entire collective intelligence of the Alliance, an IQ score that is easily counted on a single hand.
It's not wisdom, it's pointing out facts. You don't need to be wise to see what's right in front of you, you just need eyes.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2011, 02:47 »

The core of her critique was that it was posted, not only on the forums, but on the IGS.

And the "self-important" people she's talking about? The ones who either go it alone or form small groups, rather than joining a large movement?

Anyone care to name a roleplay corporation that doesn't fit that description, compared to a nullsec alliance? U'K, maybe? CVA? Both fairly frail, in the scheme of things.

Ladies and gentlemen, that post was a sneer, and it was aimed directly at all of us. We've just been told we're "doing it wrong," following our own egos rather than signing up with something greater than ourselves, and that our power amounts to nothing.

This is wisdom from the point of view of someone who is playing the game at its most "epic" scale, and sees no validity in other modes of play (specifically ours). It's not so much wrong as very limited, and pretty damned judgmental.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2011, 03:53 »

Aria Pointed it out pretty much as I saw it. Still, it was quite well done, and likely very intellectual, from a goon's point of view.

She made another one in the 'embrace our destiny' tread, following the same trend, I believe. I can't decide for myself if I should think it brilliant to make good use of 'obvious' truths or somehow wish she'd stop being self-rightous.

Speaking of that tread, I'm amazed this is the first time anyone quotes Equilibrium in regards to the Sansha's and te 'perfect society' of the Nation. It's a bit ripp-offish I feel, but it's a good comparison, nonetheless. I'll leave it at that however to avoid derailing this tread.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2011, 10:34 »

I did not intend to speculate in that individual Goon's motives in posting what he posted, actually. But that's beside the point. I personally did not feel targeted by his sneer, so I don't particularly care if he aimed at me. ;)

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #11 on: 01 Feb 2011, 14:25 »

What I find "sad" is that if any other person would have posted it, it would have been applauded, and while some are indeed giving it credit on an individual basis the general sentiment I've picked up is 'lol a goon rping lol'. At least some positive reactions here, heh.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #12 on: 01 Feb 2011, 14:29 »

Yes, it was a sneer, but what I found good about the sneer was how it was framed, carefully walking the IC/OOC line, targeting both the forum itself, the users and RP'ers in general.

It encompasses all of the interpretations put forward so far in this thread.

It is like a horoscope, framed in a way that anyone that reads it sees a bit of his game-play in it.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #13 on: 01 Feb 2011, 14:31 »

What I find "sad" is that if any other person would have posted it, it would have been applauded, and while some are indeed giving it credit on an individual basis the general sentiment I've picked up is 'lol a goon rping lol'. At least some positive reactions here, heh.

This it true as well!

I think, because of the source, people automatically go "lol goon'rp hurp durf".

EDIT: I think this was a brilliant response to the thread in general, and a good piece of RP.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2011, 14:36 by Graanvlokkie »

KJLLV

« Reply #14 on: 01 Feb 2011, 15:05 »

There are many intelligent people in the various SA iterations. It's not a very surprising thing to see such a post from one of them.
Pages: [1] 2